1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Care for birch handle on fallkniven sk3?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by jemab, Jun 17, 2019.

1. jemab

jemab

Mar 21, 2006
    I am looking for some advice for caring for the birch handle on my little fallkniven sk3.

Any recommendations for how often and what to use for these natural wood knife handles?

What risk is there for discoloration/ darkening?

Thanks in advance for your help-

2. Mikael W

Mikael W Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2007
    I just rub the wood with a drop of boiled linseedoil every now and then.
    When completely saturated, it gets a satin and somewhat darker/richer color.

Regards
    Mikael

3. herisson

herisson Knuckle dragging and mean minded Neanderthal Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    ROSarms has a nice tutorial on caring for stacked birchwood handles (ROSarms International on BF). I believe your Fällkniven is massive birchburl. It's arctic birch, a slow growing wood. While it's relatively soft, its high density makes for very durable knife handles. I imagine Fällkniven would stabilize it. If this is not the case, as said above, a drop of neutral oil once in a while (my choice is camelia / teaseed oil) will waterproof it. If the handle gets greasy / dirty, a soft rub with fine grit sandpaper will restore its original aspect. Complete with a rub of said oil. Yes, the colour will get richer, darker, a kind of shiny gold brown. Gorgeous.

4. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    I just use Old English lemon furniture oil. :thumbsup:

5. Freedom Pullo

Freedom Pullo Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2015
    If you are worried about discoloration I would suggest a drop of mineral oil.

6. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser

Jul 17, 2018
    I rubbed a bit of boiled linseed oil into the handle of my Helle Dokka, which has a curly birch handle. This darkened the handle a little and brought out the character and detail in the wood. Now I just occasionally rub a mix of beeswax and mineral oil on the scales (maybe once or twice a year).
    [​IMG]

7. jfk1110

jfk1110 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2013
    I've had my juni for 5+ years and use it frequently as.my edc. I just rub in a few.drops of ballistol. It's still pretty light colored. I'd say its.picked up more darkness from my hand than what I'm treating it with. It's a solid performer. Use it and enjoy it.
    James

8. jemab

jemab

Mar 21, 2006
    Thanks for all the replies! Super helpful.

9. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    I use tung oil on all my wooden-handled implements: axes, Roselli and Helle knives, even canoe paddles. It seems to weather longer than boiled linseed oil.