"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

:) just an update, made it through the storm with relatively minor damage. Went south of me. But we're not outta the woods yet as we're expecting record flooding. Thanks to everyone for thoughts and prayers. First time I've had enough connection for internet. But was able to keep family updated through texts.:thumbsup:
Glad to hear you're okay.

Hey guys, checking in again. Things are good where I live some standing water and closed roadways. Cell service went out completely for awhile for me after the storm was gone. The power to my closest cell tower most likely out, and probably couldn't get to it for awhile. I don't know how long I'll have service. I have a lot of catching up to do here lol, thanks again for the moral support and prayers.:):thumbsup:

Hey guys, checking in again. Things are good where I live some standing water and closed roadways. Cell service went out completely for awhile for me after the storm was gone. The power to my closest cell tower most likely out, and probably couldn't get to it for awhile. I don't know how long I'll have service. I have a lot of catching up to do here lol, thanks again for the moral support and prayers.:):thumbsup:

Hi David Misplaced Hillbilly Misplaced Hillbilly - Just where are you? I have family in Harrellsville. They say they got a little rain but nothing to speak about. Had the hurricane gone up the Albemarle Sound and pushed water up the Chowan River, they'd have been in trouble as Harrellsville is on the Chowan River. I've got an uncle with part of his farm right on the river.

Modoc ED Modoc ED I'm near Kinston/Goldsboro area, main storm went south of us although we got plenty wind and rain, many roads around here are closed due to high water. Lots of tree limbs in the yard but nothing major, my boss had a Bradford pear tree took the top out, lots of trees down around us though. Still without power and under a boil advisory on the water.

I've finally got to where I can start to buy a few knives and begin rebuilding my collection. This makes me very happy :D and for awhile I'm going to concentrate on the beloved Barlows. Some of these were gifts from members and rhe TC I won in a GAW. Anyway here's what I have and very proud to own them and I think it's a good start. :thumbsup:
First row left to right
1. 2017 TC Sheepsfoot on a 15 frame
2. and 3. S&M
4. 1974 Case razor
5. 1975 Case
Middle Rough Rider mini-barlow
Second row
1. 1975 100 year Russel commemorative Barlow
2. 60's Colonial covered in stag from @glennbad
3. USA made Remington
4. Old Colonial
5. Lionsteel Shuffler

J8HocBJ.jpg

I've finally got to where I can start to buy a few knives and begin rebuilding my collection. This makes me very happy :D and for awhile I'm going to concentrate on the beloved Barlows. Some of these were gifts from members and rhe TC I won in a GAW. Anyway here's what I have and very proud to own them and I think it's a good start. :thumbsup:
First row left to right
1. 2017 TC Sheepsfoot on a 15 frame
2. and 3. S&M
4. 1974 Case razor
5. 1975 Case
Middle Rough Rider mini-barlow
Second row
1. 1975 100 year Russel commemorative Barlow
2. 60's Colonial covered in stag from @glennbad
3. USA made Remington
4. Old Colonial
5. Lionsteel Shuffler

J8HocBJ.jpg
Beautiful group of barlows Randy. Barlows are what got me started collecting. Trevytrev's thread brought me to the porch. I love barlows.

Beautiful group of barlows Randy. Barlows are what got me started collecting. Trevytrev's thread brought me to the porch. I love barlows.

That sounds a bit like my story Dwight I was searching for Barlow info when I come across BF. Barlow's are by far my favorite pattern just so much history and to me one of the most useful patterns ever made. I also just plain like two blade Jackknives don't know why but I prefer the blades launching from the same side.

Modoc ED Modoc ED I'm near Kinston/Goldsboro area, main storm went south of us although we got plenty wind and rain, many roads around here are closed due to high water. Lots of tree limbs in the yard but nothing major, my boss had a Bradford pear tree took the top out, lots of trees down around us though. Still without power and under a boil advisory on the water.

Glad you're through the worst of it.

Before she passed, a big storm went through Harrellsville quite a few years ago and took down four or five of my Grandmother's Pecan trees. Took part of her roof too but it was the downed Pecan trees that really upset her.

Modoc ED Modoc ED , there's a large brick home about a 1/4 mile from me, they have a decent pecan grove, allot of theirs are down. So far due to the odd direction of the wind this time, we lost almost no shingles on the 4 occupied rentals of my bosses. Wind normally north/south with these things here. But this one passing south of us traveling west we was on the upper side so got east to west winds. All of my bosses rental mobile homes sit with one end pointing east, so winds blew along the roof and not broadside to them. She has one mobile home used for storage that sits at a right angle to the others, the east side roof is nearly naked, got a roofer that sub contracts under us coming as soon as he can. Big worry now is the rivers, my neighbor works for the city of Kinston and said now their telling them it will crest 3 feet below Mathews flood,which was 27 feet. First reports was saying the Nuese was going to break 30 at Kinston.

if it's any consolation to the boss, Bradford pear is a great cooking/smoking wood.
mild & sweet, almost as good as mulberry.

Back