"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I just have to share my excitement with my friends here on the porch, who I know will understand. I have just been placed in charge of knife purchasing for the farm store where I work! (I am not mentioning store name or location, since we are obviously not a BF member dealer. This is in no way an attempt to drum up business, just sharing exciting news. Mods, I hope that is ok. If not, please feel free to delete.)

When I started working at the store part time in January, the knife case was a mixture of Case, Frost, and Steel Warrior. The display was not in a very prominent place, nor were the knives displayed very well, and everything was priced at MSRP. Understandably, sales were very infrequent. I didn’t say anything at first, because nobody likes “that new guy,” who comes in and has a better idea for everything. After a few months, though, I mentioned to my manager that I was a knife knut, and that I had some ideas to improve knife sales, if she ever wanted to hear them. She said she’d be glad to listen, so I told her that I thought we could improve the location and quality of the display, and tweak our selection to better suit our customers’ preferences. I also said that we needed to cut our margins on Case. I explained that a lot of folks prefer to buy Case knives in person, as opposed to buying them for the lowest possible price online, and that we can still make money while being more competitive. She said she would think it all over and get back to me.

Well, I was recently blessed to be promoted to the position of Assistant Manager, and yesterday she brought me an order sheet from our knife distributor and told me to make it happen.

I learned a lot of the information that I will use in this role right here on the porch, so a big thank you to everyone! I am really looking forward to seeing what I can do. Now, to teach all the other employees not to display folders with two blades partially open on the same spring…
Very exciting news! Congrats! Let us know what all you come up with.:cool:

I just have to share my excitement with my friends here on the porch, who I know will understand. I have just been placed in charge of knife purchasing for the farm store where I work! (I am not mentioning store name or location, since we are obviously not a BF member dealer. This is in no way an attempt to drum up business, just sharing exciting news. Mods, I hope that is ok. If not, please feel free to delete.)

When I started working at the store part time in January, the knife case was a mixture of Case, Frost, and Steel Warrior. The display was not in a very prominent place, nor were the knives displayed very well, and everything was priced at MSRP. Understandably, sales were very infrequent. I didn’t say anything at first, because nobody likes “that new guy,” who comes in and has a better idea for everything. After a few months, though, I mentioned to my manager that I was a knife knut, and that I had some ideas to improve knife sales, if she ever wanted to hear them. She said she’d be glad to listen, so I told her that I thought we could improve the location and quality of the display, and tweak our selection to better suit our customers’ preferences. I also said that we needed to cut our margins on Case. I explained that a lot of folks prefer to buy Case knives in person, as opposed to buying them for the lowest possible price online, and that we can still make money while being more competitive. She said she would think it all over and get back to me.

Well, I was recently blessed to be promoted to the position of Assistant Manager, and yesterday she brought me an order sheet from our knife distributor and told me to make it happen.

I learned a lot of the information that I will use in this role right here on the porch, so a big thank you to everyone! I am really looking forward to seeing what I can do. Now, to teach all the other employees not to display folders with two blades partially open on the same spring…
Congratulations, Trout Hound Trout Hound ! I always buy my Case knives after handling them, and don't mind paying a little more if I can support a local hardware or farm and ranch store. (Did order one Case knife as a gift online--not carried by local stores.) I am sure you will do well.

I'm excited too! :D Great stuff, good luck with everything :thumbsup:

Congrats on the promotion and what an exciting and fun perk to be the "knife guy".

Congratulations Trout Hound Trout Hound I'm sure you will do an excellent job with something you love. Don't get better than a post like this. :thumbsup::cool:

I was just on a non-BF registered knife stores website and came across some Bear and Son's knives. I was wondering if any of you have bought or handled any of the newer ones. I haven't handled one in a long time but was way less than impressed by them back then. They've lowered the prices to somewhere kinda between Rough Rider and Case. They claim to be an all inclusive USA knife maker from forging to sharpening and everything in between making every part in house. Then they proudly proclaim the blade is made from 440 steel. :eek:

Trout Hound Trout Hound - I'm really glad to hear things are going so well at the farm store. I well remember your thread about working there and the knives carried by the workers. You had a sodbuster if I recall. So the folks around there will now have a real "knife area" with someone who can offer advice and recommendations. It is a real treat to walk into a store like that and find an area seriously dedicated to quality knives. Good luck my friend.

Trout Hound Trout Hound
That sounds like interesting fun...not work.
Let's keep it real though....
Dingo in a maternity ward ..and all that.
One of my top 50 favourite songs of all time is by Parliament...The Goose...the line
"imagine a monkey
with a peanut machine
it's a dream come true"
I think your enthusiasm will drum up more trade than if you hired The Chieftains to play O Sullivan's March outside the store.

I was just on a non-BF registered knife stores website and came across some Bear and Son's knives. I was wondering if any of you have bought or handled any of the newer ones. I haven't handled one in a long time but was way less than impressed by them back then. They've lowered the prices to somewhere kinda between Rough Rider and Case. They claim to be an all inclusive USA knife maker from forging to sharpening and everything in between making every part in house. Then they proudly proclaim the blade is made from 440 steel. :eek:

I've heard both good and bad about Bear and Sons.
I don't think they actually forge, but they apparently do start with rolls of sheet steel, just as Case does. 400 series would include 420HC and 440A. Think they have some offerings in carbon steel, also. Nothing fancy. They are US made.

What is now Bear Cutlery was apparently at one point, Parker Cutlery.
Think it is mentioned in this thread:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/jim-parker.570955/

Bear and Sons was making Remington's knives for a while. I have a BaS Remington lockback and it has good fit and finish.

I heard a rumor that at the Camillus sale, they bought some of the Camillus tooling, and their quality improved as a result.

Congratulations Trout Hound Trout Hound
Very cool to get that position as a knife knut ! I know for myself when I find an auto parts store, or feed store sporting goods ECT. That has someone behind the counter who can "talk shop" I tend to go back there rather to a place where people seemed detached from their job. That's one of the reasons I like "Mom and Pop" stores. I'm sure they'll see a surge in their knife sales and that can only lead to better things for you.

Fodderwing Fodderwing you are correct, sir, it is a Case Sodbuster! That knife has been in my back pocket since the day I started, and I have yet to think that there may be any better choice for my daily tasks. Thanks for the kind words.

meako meako I actually have not bought a knife from my own store yet. I figure it’s a slippery slope, and the longer I can resist the temptation, the better off I am! I love The Chieftains, by the way, along with most good Celtic music. Folks from that area of the world sure know how to craft a song.

knarfeng knarfeng thanks for the info Frank. :thumbsup:
I've talked myself into trying one of these and I will write an honest review after I've carried it for a couple of weeks. I chose a C218 Heritage Walnut Series, 3-1/4" Medium Stockman it's a $50 knife and here are the specs'
  • Hollow ground blades
  • 1095 high carbon steel blades
  • nickel silver bolsters
  • Closed Length: 3-1/4"
  • Weight: 1.7 oz.
  • Made in USA

timthumb.php

trout hound - congrats on the promotion and best of luck sorting through that catalog!

The boss lady brought me the distributor’s order sheet and said, “You should be able to type those SKU numbers into our system and see what each of those knives looks like.” I said, “I hate to tell you this, but I already know what all of these knives look like.” :D

Back