"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

He's actually Greek.

He lived in the Greek city of Myra in Asia Minor (now Turkey), part of the Roman Empire. We just had a program in our grandkids church on the history of St Nicholas. I found it very interesting, never having heard the story.

I would like to hear that some time. I never spent enough time in NC to notice anyone speaking much dialect.

Michael

Mostly just odd shortened words or odd ball phrases, "you'uns" is a widely used term. I heard it used instead of "are you". Maybe the proper term would be colloquialisms, but some language experts call it a "dialect".

To be honest I've spent my entire life in the South, and with the exception of Gullah from the Lowcountry, I could figure out what most anyone was saying.

The Pamlico Sound is even more confusing, it sounds like a foreign language. One of my good friends from the area could carry on a conversation with his wife and for the life of me I had no idea what they were saying.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. Lousy thieves.

True but I'm wondering if GT's fiasco is actually that, did somebody package something up wrongly by mistake?? I mean, I have to say that not all my hoard are correctly boxed....;) just found a Schatt residing in a Rough Rider box :D And A Forum Knife (13) in a GEC Boy's Knife tube...:eek: Lack of pedantry can go too far..o_O

...I have to say that not all my hoard are correctly boxed....;) just found a Schatt residing in a Rough Rider box :D And A Forum Knife (13) in a GEC Boy's Knife tube...:eek: Lack of pedantry can go too far..o_O

:eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

For years, my knife collection was just scattered all around my house! :D Still a BIT like that! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Edit - Quick count, 3 on my desk, 6 on the coffee table, 5 on the kitchen table...:rolleyes:

None in the freezer (this time)! :D ;)

:eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

For years, my knife collection was just scattered all around my house! :D Still a BIT like that! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Edit - Quick count, 3 on my desk, 6 on the coffee table, 5 on the kitchen table...:rolleyes:

None in the freezer (this time)! :D ;)

I have the same problem Jack sometimes I find knives I've forgot about in the strangest places.:eek::rolleyes:

Besides the few knives I keep in the safe...
I have two in the Jeep, one in the truck, eight on my desk, two next to my chair, two in the kitchen, one on the dinner table, several on display in a cabinet, and one in my pocket.

Does anyone know what Ron Half/Stop Half/Stop is up to lately? I don't think he's posted for more than two weeks! I hope he's on a world tour or something exciting like that.

- GT

You're right GT, I sure hope he and Pam are OK :thumbsup:

You guys are right I haven't saw anything of Ron either I sure hope all is well. Looks like the last time he posted was on November 16.
When one of our members that participates regularly doesn't show up for awhile they sure are missed.

I talked to Ron a week ago and he and Pam are fine .

Harry

Thanks for the update Harry. :thumbsup:

Your info is much appreciated, Harry! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

+! :thumbsup: Thanks Harry :thumbsup:

Glad to hear Ron is OK, great contributor:thumbsup: But let's be realistic, not all of use want spend all of our lives-imagined and virtual- on here all the time ;)

I know that I have been (happily) busier lately. It has certainly made substantially participating here more challenging lately. There are plenty of reasons for folks to drop off a little. But it is still always good to know that folks are doing fine.

Well some of us might :D

I’m back! :D Pam and I are fine. We traveled for the holidays and I just didn’t work in time to post. I sort of got into a non posting runt I guess you could say. I really appreciate the fact that my presence here is missed. Some of you, Harry @Old Engineer and Stuart @Duckdog have checked in with me by phone. This is a great community and it’s wonderful that we are concerned with the well being of our fellow members! Thanks to you all. :)

True but I'm wondering if GT's fiasco is actually that, did somebody package something up wrongly by mistake?? I mean, I have to say that not all my hoard are correctly boxed....;) just found a Schatt residing in a Rough Rider box :D And A Forum Knife (13) in a GEC Boy's Knife tube...:eek: Lack of pedantry can go too far..o_O
But those are knives in knife containers. Someone stole GT's knife. At least he's getting a replacement.

I’m back! :D Pam and I are fine. We traveled for the holidays and I just didn’t work in time to post. I sort of got into a non posting runt I guess you could say. I really appreciate the fact that my presence here is missed. Some of you, Harry @Old Engineer and Stuart @Duckdog have checked in with me by phone. This is a great community and it’s wonderful that we are concerned with the well being of our fellow members! Thanks to you all. :)

Glad to see you back Ron I hope you and Pam had great time my friend.

I have the same problem Jack sometimes I find knives I've forgot about in the strangest places.:eek::rolleyes:

LOL! :D It's definitely getting worse Randy, I found three large fixed-blades I'd forgotten about in a cupboard the other night, and an entire box of folders which need cleaning, think I cleared them off the kitchen table prior to Xmas last year! :eek: :rolleyes:

Hope you've got a note Ron! ;) :D :thumbsup:

Welcome back, Ron! :) Glad all is well! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

My Barlow collection is growing. It's at a point to where I can stop buying according to condition and country of origin and be more selective. I'm researching Barlows now and start hunting specific knives. Jack Black Jack Black if you could send me a link to the Barlow article you co-wrote for the knife magazine I'd love to read it. Anyway here's the collection now.

PWJcIQr.jpg

I forgot this one it was in my pocket.
0erZynC.jpg

My Barlow collection is growing. It's at a point to where I can stop buying according to condition and country of origin and be more selective. I'm researching Barlows now and start hunting specific knives. Jack Black Jack Black if you could send me a link to the Barlow article you co-wrote for the knife magazine I'd love to read it. Anyway here's the collection now.

PWJcIQr.jpg

I forgot this one it was in my pocket.
0erZynC.jpg

Cool collection Randy :) As far as I know, that piece isn't online, but I think you can get back issues from Knife Magazine, it was in the July 2018 issue :thumbsup:

Jack I knew that I was forgetting something! Sorry, no note my friend! :D

Good to have you back Ron! :D :thumbsup:

Back