"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Lots of good things come in brown paper bags.

Indeed they do :) :thumbsup:

Same here - no real urgency, but something I know I'll need to get around to eventually. Other than some I've gifted and one I sold in person to a friend, I still have every pocket knife I've ever bought.

Yes indeed John, I just hope mine don't just end up thrown in a dumpster :eek:

I don't think I've ever owned more than 15 knives at one time. I'm not a collector, but enjoy trying out new patterns. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. I sell what I don't use. I will usually buy a spare of a pattern I particularly like.

Well, I have curtailed my knife buying down to pieces I find at shows, forum knives, and the occasional SFO. I'm pretty much done buying junk off ebay, unless it's something I am looking for parts-wise. I'm still a sucker for the flea markets though, but thankfully, none around here during the winter...

I'm trying to get a handle on my knives right now. I really don't know everything I have and so many have been gifted to me that I can't remember all of them. I have been thinking about selling off a bunch and buying a couple of really nice pieces. It would be nice to get back to only 50 or less knives to keep up with.

Or snapped up by somebody for pennies at an estate sale. I really don't want to sell most of them, just un-buy them. :)

Yeah! :( There a few I feel like that about too! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

I'm trying to get a handle on my knives right now. I really don't know everything I have and so many have been gifted to me that I can't remember all of them. I have been thinking about selling off a bunch and buying a couple of really nice pieces. It would be nice to get back to only 50 or less knives to keep up with.

Same here Randy, it would take me a weekend to count them, and I'd probably miss more than a few :rolleyes:

So my thing was, I'd have a pattern I had not tried before. Let's take a Case Trapper as an example. My first one was a pretty one in Peacock Appaloosa bone. I had a thing for that bone - don't judge, it's really pretty. So I didn't want to mess up the pretty knife, so I got another one, in Pocket Worn Red bone. Now that is one of my favorites and I carry it a lot. But I also like Case's standard Amber Jigged Bone, and when I saw a Trapper in that handle material at a bargain price, well I couldn't pass it up. And of course, I didn't have one in CV yet, and yellow Delrin is so classic, and affordable. So yep, I have a Case Trapper in Yellow Delrin CV. Oh, look, over there on the Exchange (few years ago) - a version with the Wharncliffe secondary, and the price is right. I'll take it!

Sooo... I have five Case Trappers. All purchased very intentionally, with very specific reasons at the time. But really, that one in Pocket Worn Red is enough.

Don't even get me started on Case Mini Trappers and Medium Stockman patterns. Or GEC #12 Toothpicks and Powderhorns. Man were those pretty knives - glad they stopped making them. :)

Hello folks! It's been a while since I've checked in here.

I'm doing quite well, but since the beginning of the year have been quite busy and have had little free time available for hanging out on the Porch. That's going to continue for a while. That's OK because I'm enjoying the things that are keeping me busy. But, I do miss the camaraderie here and want to try to resume at least a bit of participation. So, I'm going to try to keep up with this thread and a few others that are near and dear to my heart, but will have to ignore most of the others so that I don't fall behind on too many things or spread my available time too thinly.

We'll see how it goes. Regardless, rest assured that I always have a traditional knife in my pocket—usually my trusty buffalo horn lambsfoot—and my appreciation for traditional pocket cutlery remains strong even if I'm not able to show it as much here as I used to.

Last edited:
Hello folks! It's been a while since I've checked in here.

I'm doing quite well, but since the beginning of the year have been quite busy and have had little free time available for hanging out on the Porch. That's going to continue for a while. That's OK because I'm enjoying the things that are keeping me busy. But, I do miss the camaraderie here and want to try to resume at least a bit of participation. So, I'm going to try to keep up with this thread and a few others that are near and dear to my heart, but will have to ignore most of the others so that I don't fall behind on too many things or spread my available time too thinly.

We'll see how it goes. Regardless, rest assured that I always have a traditional knife in my pocket—usually my trusty buffalo horn lambsfoot—and my appreciation for traditional pocket cutlery remains strong even if I'm not able to show it as much here as I used to.

Good to see you check in Greg, you're missed my friend :) :thumbsup:

I recently was gifted (by a non knife knut), a damascus bladed traditional pocket knife. It came in a pretty snazzy looking box, with the words "Luxury Knife Collection" on it.
I did a Google search and found some knives but this one does not seem to be up to the quality of those on the website.
I think it looks like it was made in Pakistan, but far better than any others that I have seen from there.
The engraving looks real, but not very well done. The inserts are not very well fitted, and the file working on the spring is amateurish.
Does anyone have any experience with this brand?
IMG_20190209_152535_zps4kieus2h.jpg~original

Back