1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    we get a "self-designated holiday" at my office -- I generally take it on one side or the other of veteran's day to flesh out a 4-day weekend.

meako, Prester John and Peregrin like this.
  2. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Reminds me of when I was in Japan, teaching English with a couple of Catholic girls. Actually Kath was Episcopalian, but the point being, we were having lunch and they were agreeing they wouldn't work on Good Friday, and they had to tell Tom (our boss). I pointed out that it was Good Friday, and I wanted to watch when they told our boss that they were so pious it had just occurred to them...

Cambertree and meako like this.
  3. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    My perceptions on the matter are the same.

The US division of my current company recognizes Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving+day after, but also closes with holiday pay between Christmas and New Years. Same number of days as most companies, but kind of lumped together at the end.

Prester John likes this.
  4. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Had a particularly brutal on-call week this past week, and having to cover for someone else this weekend, so my boss told me to take next Thursday and Friday off, plus I already had the following week off. So I am looking forward to a nice 11-day weekend.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Ramrodmb, tmd_87, Jack Black and 11 others like this.
  5. freezergeezer

freezergeezer

Oct 29, 1999
    Thought it was about time I dropped by again. Hi all.

Randy, I don't believe we've 'met', nonetheless I'm sorry to hear about the miscarriage. It's a terrible thing to happen (speaking from experience) I hope they go well.

Good Friday is a public holiday in the U.K. & Australia, as is Easter Monday.
    Then we have Anzac Day on Friday. So here loads of people have taken advantage - take 3 days holiday, get 10 days off. ;)
    Me, I'm intending to take December off so I'm holding the fort.

Happy Easter or whatever's relevant to you. Hope it's a peaceful time with good company.

tmd_87, Jack Black, Jolipapa and 8 others like this.
  6. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Well put. Second the motion!

[​IMG]

Ramrodmb, tmd_87, r8shell and 7 others like this.
  7. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Motion carried! have a great Sunday, folks!

tmd_87, Fodderwing, JohnDF and 3 others like this.
  8. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    A toast: To the awesomest moderators on BF.
    Cheers!
    [​IMG]

9. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    So sorry to hear that Randy. My thoughts are with you, Kelsey and your family.

tmd_87 and Prester John like this.
  10. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Hear hear!

[​IMG]

Ramrodmb, tmd_87, Fodderwing and 8 others like this.
  11. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Good Friday has always confused me (as does most religion but out of respect for peoples faiths and beliefs I avoid those discussions) its the only day that takeaway grog is banned.....you can go to the pub and get 3 sheets to the wind if you like...but you will not be allowed to buy grog to take home..the significance of this draconian law in relation to Jesus is vague to say the least.
    Most people get around this sacrilege by stocking up for the weekend on thursday(cheers Thor)...I know I did.

Ramrodmb, btb01, tmd_87 and 7 others like this.
  12. freezergeezer

freezergeezer

Oct 29, 1999
    Lol!

Love the expression on the dog's face.

13. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Leading the world down a ramp sideways?

meako likes this.
  14. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    It was the shopping trolly.

Cambertree likes this.
  15. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    I remember. I thought it might apply to the strange tippling restrictions too. Too subtle for me.

We used to not be allowed to buy alcohol on Sundays, or at least Sunday mornings, but they gave up on that. It may have been found to be a violation of the "State shall establish no religion" clause in our constitution.

meako likes this.
  16. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Say, did I ever mention I was thinking about getting rid of Windows 10?
    Finally did it!

meako, Prester John and Jack Black like this.
  17. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Knife bit me today. First time in more than 25 years. Four stitches at the base of the thumb and a tetanus shoot this afternoon after church.

meako and tmd_87 like this.
  18. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Vestiges of Prohibition. :eek:

meako and scrteened porch like this.
  19. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    I whole heartedly agree. Cheers John! Cheers Chin! Forty Creek with two small icebergs emitting tiny "pings" n "whistles" ... :)

Cambertree and Prester John like this.
  20. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    what did you replace it with?
    inquiring minds want to know!

meako and Jack Black like this.