"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I didn't know about the pollinating.
Still I say yick. But I guess I'll stop cheering for the white nose fungus.

Oh, bats are a big tourist attraction around here. They first started roosting under the bridge in the 1980's, right around the time some big hotels were being built along Town Lake. The developers wanted to poison them, but a Mr. Tuttle formed Bat Conservation International and educated the public about the environmental benefit of bats (more plants are pollinated by bats than bees worldwide, and they eat their weight in flying insects every night) Now those same hotels advertise Bat Watching Happy Hours and tour boats. :D
JWb0Wlj.jpg

FMfiC97.png
Now, there is a wonderful little bug eater! If we could just get them to hunt Grackle...

I had a friend and fishing buddy who caught a bat with his fly. It was both horrifying and hilarious at the same time. All fun and games until I had to cut his leader after he stripped it in close enough. Lol :eek:

r8shell r8shell

Last time I was in Austin in the late 90’s I witnessed the spectacle. It was surreal seeing so many in one location...
I'm glad you got to see it; it is quite the spectacle. I wouldn't recommend taking a bat-watching tour boat, though. It's great to see them from the bridge, but I wouldn't want to watch them from below. Guano can be a strong smell. :p
I got to see them for the first time in 1985 or 86. I used to ride my bike home from work across Congress Ave. I saw what looked like a cloud of smoke coming out from under the bridge and extending across the lake to the horizon. There was a fellow standing there watching, and I asked him, "Are those birds or bats?" "I think they're bats." He went along on his way, and I watched for a while, until a couple walked up to me, "Are those birds or bats?"
Now they're the unofficial mascot of the City of Austin, but a lot of new folks here don't know how recently the bats moved in.

I didn't know about the pollinating.
Still I say yick. But I guess I'll stop cheering for the white nose fungus.
:cool::thumbsup:
Now, there is a wonderful little bug eater! If we could just get them to hunt Grackle...

I like the way the grackles have a little parade behind the lawn mower, picking up bugs. :D They're alright by me. In case you haven't guessed, I really hate bugs.
I had a friend and fishing buddy who caught a bat with his fly. It was both horrifying and hilarious at the same time. All fun and games until I had to cut his leader after he stripped it in close enough. Lol :eek:
:eek: :eek:

I used to get bats flying round in front of my upstairs windows, but they disappeared a few years ago, and I have only seen one very occasionally since then :(

I think the best Dracula I ever saw was Louis Jordan's Masterpiece Theatre miniseries. Susan Penhaligon as Lucy and and Judi Bowker as Mina. Frank Finlay as Van Helsing.
I have a feeling I've said that before, but what the heck. We've established that I'm old and I can't help it.

On a different note, Live Long and Prosper, Case Customer Service.
They sent me another free shield for a knife I bought used and cheap. I must buy a new Case to thank them.
mj2IVfm.jpg

If it happens again, I might send them the knife. I managed to push this shield crooked into too much superglue.

I think the best Dracula I ever saw was Louis Jordan's Masterpiece Theatre miniseries. Susan Penhaligon as Lucy and and Judi Bowker as Mina. Frank Finlay as Van Helsing.
I have a feeling I've said that before, but what the heck. We've established that I'm old and I can't help it.
Finlay was great as Porthos (1974?) and Marley (1984?) too. I ought to look for more films with him in it.

He also played Buckingham's jeweller in the Three Musketeers. And the scientist who wasn't smart enough in LifeForce (1985?). And Casanova in another Masterpiece Theatre, with Phoebe Nichols.
He was great. I wish I had his head of hair, too.
[Maybe Casanova wasn't a Masterpiece Theatre]

Last edited:
Grackles eat bugs, so I've learned to appreciate them.
I was in Austin a month ago visiting my son and we went out to eat at a restaurant that had outdoor tables. You almost had to eat with one hand and run the damn things off with the other. When someone got up to leave they would SWARM the leftovers before the bus person came. They were fearless. iirc we were in Hyde Park.--KV

I was in Austin a month ago visiting my son and we went out to eat at a restaurant that had outdoor tables. You almost had to eat with one hand and run the damn things off with the other. When someone got up to leave they would SWARM the leftovers before the bus person came. They were fearless. iirc we were in Hyde Park.--KV
Were you at Julio's?
bMD4v5h.jpg
5HFYtxN.jpg

Back