"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Oh, bats are a big tourist attraction around here. They first started roosting under the bridge in the 1980's, right around the time some big hotels were being built along Town Lake. The developers wanted to poison them, but a Mr. Tuttle formed Bat Conservation International and educated the public about the environmental benefit of bats (more plants are pollinated by bats than bees worldwide, and they eat their weight in flying insects every night) Now those same hotels advertise Bat Watching Happy Hours and tour boats. :D
JWb0Wlj.jpg

FMfiC97.png

There's a bat bridge in Arlen, too! ;)

m6XHogm.png

Traditional knife content in the same scene... what are the odds?! :D

D0wXrlT.png

alozYov.png

watch

A good way to celebrate spring.
Also this very international week, def not a week like the others.
First an Ettrick from North, thanks to @Will Power , a pattern you need to use to understand why it gets such a following! :thumbsup:
View attachment 1096740

Friday lunch was bacalhau a brás for lunch at the portuguese cantina - a sheer delight ;);
View attachment 1096742
Then today at lunchtime I received the GAW from mitch4ging mitch4ging . Including fine bonuses, a Schrade 34OT, a new $ and a home made lanyard with bead. To be followed... :)
View attachment 1096760
I recieved a package from Alain a couple of weeks ago, and sadly, I'm just now finally getting around to posting this.

I sent him a couple of items along with the GAW knives provided by JohnDF.
He has reciprocated in a very generous way, and I'm humbled by his generosity! I did not have a knife from France, but this fixed that issue!
6gB7PUR.jpg

This surprise gift reflects the generosity and the caliber of Alain's personality, as well as so many around here!

Thank you so very much, my friend!:):thumbsup:

I recieved a package from Alain a couple of weeks ago, and sadly, I'm just now finally getting around to posting this.

He has reciprocated in a very generous way, and I'm humbled by his generosity! I did not have a knife from France, but this fixed that issue!
6gB7PUR.jpg

This surprise gift reflects the generosity and the caliber of Alain's personality, as well as so many around here!

Alain est un bon homme. :thumbsup:

He is a great guy!;):thumbsup:
:thumbsup: Thank you!
Glad you enjoy it Dennis, hope as much as I dig the mini Trapper I kept! Lacroix knives are users with good snap, always have painted handle with bright colors (yellow, green and red), it is a very old Western (Brittany / Vendée) pattern. :)
The little key ring dates of the 60s, to open push the little spring sideward, once closed it won't open of it's own, this was made by a Michelin subsidiary there was a real craze collecting them when I was a youngster.

Alain est un bon homme. :thumbsup:
Just like so many here! :)

6gB7PUR.jpg

:thumbsup: Thank you!
Glad you enjoy it Dennis, hope as much as I dig the mini Trapper I kept! Lacroix knives are users with good snap, always have painted handle with bright colors (yellow, green and red), it is a very old Western (Brittany / Vendée) pattern. :)
The little key ring dates of the 60s, to open push the little spring sideward, once closed it won't open of it's own, this was made by a Michelin subsidiary there was a real craze collecting them when I was a youngster.

Just like so many here! :)
Very nice gesture, Alain.
And congrats to you, Dennis.
That is way cool, both of you. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

I was wondering where the ten came from. "Threescore and ten" I am familiar with. ;)
Yeah, I think I conflated that life-span estimate from Psalm 90 with Lincoln's Gettysburg Address opening. :eek::rolleyes:

Dennis, congrats on the cool gifts from Jolipapa Jolipapa ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Accolades to JP for his generous thoughtfulness! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

And to go along with this theme, an incredible Hubble image('s) you can zoom in and out!

http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/215519

Happy Saturday, all!
And thanks for the cool link, Dennis! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Zooming in on an image of a spiral galaxy that must have originated a long time ago and far, far away was an enjoyable experience. ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: And as you noted, it's very apropos to JohnDF JohnDF 's greeting for this date. :):cool:

- GT

Yeah, I think I conflated that life-span estimate from Psalm 90 with Lincoln's Gettysburg Address opening. :eek::rolleyes:

Dennis, congrats on the cool gifts from Jolipapa Jolipapa ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Accolades to JP for his generous thoughtfulness! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

And thanks for the cool link, Dennis! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Zooming in on an image of a spiral galaxy that must have originated a long time ago and far, far away was an enjoyable experience. ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: And as you noted, it's very apropos to JohnDF JohnDF 's greeting for this date. :):cool:

- GT
Thanks, Gary!

That is such a fantastic image, I keep opening it up, it just doesn't get old, as you think how vast it is. I read in another article that it took 7,500 photos strung together to make the image. Some of the faint galaxies are more than 13 billion lightyears away.

I went down to the local outdoors store to purchase a new shotgun for my son's graduation present. I haven't bought a gun in a few years, but when did the purchase process turn into a three hour ordeal? I had to take a test and answer the same barrage of questions three different ways: on-line, in writing, and orally. I told the guy, "I'm buying a trap gun, not signing up for the secret service"! Lol

I went down to the local outdoors store to purchase a new shotgun for my son's graduation present. I haven't bought a gun in a few years, but when did the purchase process turn into a three hour ordeal? I had to take a test and answer the same barrage of questions three different ways: on-line, in writing, and orally. I told the guy, "I'm buying a trap gun, not signing up for the secret service"! Lol
Maybe it's worse in California.

Maybe it's worse in California.
I don't want to turn this into a political conversation, but you're probably right. It probably is a "California thing."
I'm fine with the process, but I just thought it was kind of redundant. I mean the guy handed me an iPad and I had to answer questions about mental fitness, criminal record, etc. That's all good, but then he hands me a piece of paper with the same questions and I had to check the boxes. Lastly I had to read the questions from a card and verbally answer all the same questions. Silly!

Back