"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I don't want to turn this into a political conversation, but you're probably right. It probably is a "California thing."
I'm fine with the process, but I just thought it was kind of redundant. I mean the guy handed me an iPad and I had to answer questions about mental fitness, criminal record, etc. That's all good, but then he hands me a piece of paper with the same questions and I had to check the boxes. Lastly I had to read the questions from a card and verbally answer all the same questions. Silly!
I'm not gonna say it. But know I'm thinking it. :D

It's funny the odd things we randomly remember; for some reason I always remember that the first music I ever bought with my own "chore money" was Bon Jovi's 'Slippery When Wet' on cassette tape in 1986. It's just as good to listen to today :D:thumbsup:

If I've been a bit scarce around these parts lately, it's because I've been spending most of my internet time researching kayak fishing. I've been wanting to get back into fishing since we moved to Minnesota, and a bass boat or aluminum fishing boat weren't in my budget, so I'm going to do some fishing from a kayak instead. I bought a boat earlier this week, and took it out on the water for the first time today.

02y2Kdm.jpg

D5noELZ.jpg

I didn't take any rods or tackle with me today -- Minnesota's fishing season doesn't open until next weekend, so all you can fish for right now are panfish -- but I'm looking forward to getting a line in the water soon. :thumbsup:

I actually got this last week at the Allegan County Fairgrounds, but it fell out of my jacket pocket into my brother's car. (And I do mean Allegan, not Galleon or Galilean, thank you, spellcheck.)
The guy said it was from Providence Cutlery Company in the '70s.
85KWxwp.jpg

itK4gwJ.jpg

Not without gaps, but a nice thin knife with very hard blades for $5.
QU4BAb4.jpg

And I like the wharnefoot, whether it was intended or not.

Last edited:
I went down to the local outdoors store to purchase a new shotgun for my son's graduation present. I haven't bought a gun in a few years, but when did the purchase process turn into a three hour ordeal? I had to take a test and answer the same barrage of questions three different ways: on-line, in writing, and orally. I told the guy, "I'm buying a trap gun, not signing up for the secret service"! Lol

Maybe it's worse in California.

LOL! :eek: :D I'm told (by @Horsewright) that it depends which part of California you live in :thumbsup:

You should try it over here John! :eek: Or probably best not! :eek: :thumbsdown:

If I've been a bit scarce around these parts lately, it's because I've been spending most of my internet time researching kayak fishing. I've been wanting to get back into fishing since we moved to Minnesota, and a bass boat or aluminum fishing boat weren't in my budget, so I'm going to do some fishing from a kayak instead. I bought a boat earlier this week, and took it out on the water for the first time today.

02y2Kdm.jpg

D5noELZ.jpg

I didn't take any rods or tackle with me today -- Minnesota's fishing season doesn't open until next weekend, so all you can fish for right now are panfish -- but I'm looking forward to getting a line in the water soon. :thumbsup:

Looks like a great set-up Barrett, is that hatch on the front for Ellie?! :D :thumbsup:

Some of you folks used to remember that I used to put all the knives and other stuff I picked up on my travels on my kitchen table, to remind me to clean them up? Even though I don't buy anywhere near as many as I used to, I eventually had to put them in a large shoe box. Of course the inevitable happened :rolleyes: I just came across this box, with more than a hundred knives in it :confused: Not sure when I'm going to get time to go through all these :rolleyes:

k6FWzUT.jpg

LOL! :eek: :D I'm told (by @Horsewright) that it depends which part of California you live in :thumbsup:

You should try it over here John! :eek: Or probably best not! :eek: :thumbsdown:

Looks like a great set-up Barrett, is that hatch on the front for Ellie?! :D :thumbsup:

Some of you folks used to remember that I used to put all the knives and other stuff I picked up on my travels on my kitchen table, to remind me to clean them up? Even though I don't buy anywhere near as many as I used to, I eventually had to put them in a large shoe box. Of course the inevitable happened :rolleyes: I just came across this box, with more than a hundred knives in it :confused: Not sure when I'm going to get time to go through all these :rolleyes:

k6FWzUT.jpg
I think many of us have similar aspirations Jack, so many knives so little time!

k6FWzUT.jpg
Am I the first one to suggest sending them to me for cleaning?

02y2Kdm.jpg

D5noELZ.jpg

Looks like fun Barrett :thumbsup: You a walleye and Northern Pike guy?

k6FWzUT.jpg
It makes me a little sad that your random box of knives is three times bigger than my whole collection. :D

I love Chris LeDoux's music, really paints a picture with each song. Here are my two favorites;

I love his music and mourn his passing still today. He actually sat down with us once and we had a couple of beers together. I can tell you he was the nicest and most genuine person you'd ever want to meet.

02y2Kdm.jpg

Wow, that looks like a fine craft, Barrett! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

My wife has done a little fishing from our kayak when we take our annual vacation on Lake Huron. But our kayak is a 14' "sit-inside-the-cockpit-at-waterline" model, so my wife's fishing mobility is quite restricted compared to what yours will be with your chair on top of the deck!

The past several years we've been on vacation at the same time as a young couple with 3 kids, and the 2 preteen boys are fishing addicts. They seem to fish from the dock at every opportunity, dawn to dusk, but last year they tried to get out in kayaks to fish near a "submerged rocks" marker out on the lake a ways offshore. Here's a poor pic of the guys pursuing their piscatorial passion:
lasalle.from.ford's.jpg

I actually got this last week at the Allegan County Fairgrounds, but it fell out of my jacket pocket into my brother's car. (And I do mean Allegan, not Galleon or Galilean, thank you, spellcheck.)
The guy said it was from Providence Cutlery Company in the '70s.
85KWxwp.jpg

Not without gaps, but a nice thin knife with very hard blades for $5.
And I like the wharnefoot, whether it was intended or not.
That looks like a fortunate find for a five-spot, Jer; congrats! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Any idea what "BAYES" indicates on the tang stamp?
I have fond memories of the Allegan County Fairgrounds. As a kid, I usually attended the county fair there each fall, but I probably haven't been back in more than 50 years. Do they have a flea market there at which you found the knife?

- GT

I've not logged on here much lately I had posted a week or so ago that I was putting together a small home recording "studio". I only call it that for lack of a better name because it's not a recording studio I guess it's more a home recording system. Anyway it allows me to become a band in the final mix. One of the features of the recorder is a built in drum machine so I set the beat I want then I lay down the bass lines then rhythm guitar then the leads and last vocals and presto full song. I sold my keyboard awhile back guess I need to buy another. I have another effects processor that has amp and cabinet modeling ordered should be here this week. This thing has me preoccupied right now but I've not gone anywhere just been playing with my new toy.

MY NEW TOY
mNVodrR.jpg

Nice boat with a civilized seat.

Thanks, Jer. The seat is great! That was high on my list of priorities, along with good stability and a weight capacity that can hold a person of substantial proportions. :D

Thanks, Jack. She thinks the whole thing is hers! :D

eFp3UME.jpg

(Just ignore the disaster that is our garage at the moment! :eek:)

Looks like fun Barrett :thumbsup: You a walleye and Northern Pike guy?

Back in Arkansas we always fished for bass, and I've heard that Minnetonka is great for largemouth, so I'll definitely be doing some bass fishing, but I'd like to get into walleye fishing, as well. In high school I had a friend whose uncle lived in Minnesota (in Glenwood, up near Alexandria), and we used to come up for a week of fishing at the end of the school year. Every year we'd fish for walleye, but we weren't very good at it; in three years, I caught exactly one walleye. :confused: Eventually we'd get bored and work the shoreline for bass. Ended up unintentionally catching a ton of Northern Pike doing that!

Wow, that looks like a fine craft, Barrett! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

My wife has done a little fishing from our kayak when we take our annual vacation on Lake Huron. But our kayak is a 14' "sit-inside-the-cockpit-at-waterline" model, so my wife's fishing mobility is quite restricted compared to what yours will be with your chair on top of the deck!

The past several years we've been on vacation at the same time as a young couple with 3 kids, and the 2 preteen boys are fishing addicts. They seem to fish from the dock at every opportunity, dawn to dusk, but last year they tried to get out in kayaks to fish near a "submerged rocks" marker out on the lake a ways offshore. Here's a poor pic of the guys pursuing their piscatorial passion:
View attachment 1122959

Thanks, GT. Yeah, this thing is purpose-built for kayak fishing. You can even stand up and fish in it! I tried that out a few times yesterday -- in shallow water, near shore ;) -- and it may take a little practice to get my sea legs (or lake legs), but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I've paddled canoes before, but I've never been in a sit-inside kayak. I'm not sure my back and legs would appreciate it. :D

I've not logged on here much lately I had posted a week or so ago that I was putting together a small home recording "studio". I only call it that for lack of a better name because it's not a recording studio I guess it's more a home recording system. Anyway it allows me to become a band in the final mix. One of the features of the recorder is a built in drum machine so I set the beat I want then I lay down the bass lines then rhythm guitar then the leads and last vocals and presto full song. I sold my keyboard awhile back guess I need to buy another. I have another effects processor that has amp and cabinet modeling ordered should be here this week. This thing has me preoccupied right now but I've not gone anywhere just been playing with my new toy.

MY NEW TOY
mNVodrR.jpg
Nice setup, Randy. What pedals do you have there?

Thanks, Jer. The seat is great! That was high on my list of priorities, along with good stability and a weight capacity that can hold a person of substantial proportions. :D

Thanks, Jack. She thinks the whole thing is hers! :D

eFp3UME.jpg

(Just ignore the disaster that is our garage at the moment! :eek:)

Back in Arkansas we always fished for bass, and I've heard that Minnetonka is great for largemouth, so I'll definitely be doing some bass fishing, but I'd like to get into walleye fishing, as well. In high school I had a friend whose uncle lived in Minnesota (in Glenwood, up near Alexandria), and we used to come up for a week of fishing at the end of the school year. Every year we'd fish for walleye, but we weren't very good at it; in three years, I caught exactly one walleye. :confused: Eventually we'd get bored and work the shoreline for bass. Ended up unintentionally catching a ton of Northern Pike doing that!

Thanks, GT. Yeah, this thing is purpose-built for kayak fishing. You can even stand up and fish in it! I tried that out a few times yesterday -- in shallow water, near shore ;) -- and it may take a little practice to get my sea legs (or lake legs), but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I've paddled canoes before, but I've never been in a sit-inside kayak. I'm not sure my back and legs would appreciate it. :D

Beautiful boat and daughter!!!
But I'd be careful though since some Minnesota sized fish might just take you for a ride in that kayak... :)

Back