"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

S1ZeiM0.jpg

And I caught his slightly larger cousin a few minutes later.

dcMQuWi.jpg

I caught another small one like the first a bit later on, as well. Not too bad for a short afternoon of fishing. I've certainly had worse days. :D
Hey hey, nice work!!!

Last weekend, I posted about my newly-acquired fishing kayak. Well, yesterday was Minnesota's fishing opener, and today I got to take the kayak out fishing for the first time. Not only was this my first time fishing from a kayak, it was also my first time fishing Lake Minnetonka, and the first time I'd fished at all in several years. So I wasn't really worried about reeling in any lunkers (I didn't). Instead, I just figured I'd be happy if I caught anything, and thankfully, I did. This little guy had the honor of being first.

S1ZeiM0.jpg

dcMQuWi.jpg

I caught another small one like the first a bit later on, as well. Not too bad for a short afternoon of fishing. I've certainly had worse days. :D
Congratulations! :D

Last weekend, I posted about my newly-acquired fishing kayak. Well, yesterday was Minnesota's fishing opener, and today I got to take the kayak out fishing for the first time. Not only was this my first time fishing from a kayak, it was also my first time fishing Lake Minnetonka, and the first time I'd fished at all in several years. So I wasn't really worried about reeling in any lunkers (I didn't). Instead, I just figured I'd be happy if I caught anything, and thankfully, I did. This little guy had the honor of being first.

S1ZeiM0.jpg

dcMQuWi.jpg

Congrats on a successful maiden voyage, Barrett! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Have you named your vessel? (Do you have to register a kayak in MN?) The surface of the lake looks like glass in your photos!

Found a nice pile at a yard sale yesterday for $20. An old lockback with a tractor on it. an old folding fixed blade for like of another name a 65-69 Case Barlow and an old 40-64 Robeson Harness Jack

FXTj2NN.jpg

Congrats on the big-time score, Randy!! :cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I don't think I've ever found a knife I wanted to buy at a yard sale, let alone 4 in one place! :eek:;)

- GT

Way to work those docks. :thumbsup:Looks like maybe you were flipping a jig? ;) Glad you had fun. I need to get out!

I tried the jig, but didn’t have any luck with it. All the fish I caught yesterday were with a Texas-rigged Senko.

Congratulations! :D

:D :D

Congrats on a successful maiden voyage, Barrett! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Have you named your vessel? (Do you have to register a kayak in MN?) The surface of the lake looks like glass in your photos!

Thanks, GT! Yes, you do have to register a kayak in MN. As for a name, when I used go fishing in Minnesota with a friend of mine whose uncle lived up here, we always used his dad’s Lund fishing boat, which we jokingly referred to as the “MuskieLounger.” So I think the kayak will be the MuskieLounger II (or maybe the MuskieLounger 1.5). :D

There was very little wind yesterday, and that little cove I was in (where I caught two of the three fish I caught yesterday) was protected on all sides (with the exception of a narrow entrance) by land, trees and houses.

I don't think I've ever found a knife I wanted to buy at a yard sale, let alone 4 in one place! :eek:;)

GT this was one of those deals where I saw the Case and asked how much to which the old man responded "I want to sell all of them at one price". so I asked how much again thinking he was going to come back with some ridiculous price when I heard him say how about 5 bucks each $20 for all four. Of course i replied with a crisp $20 bill.

oB22ieB.jpg

I didn't get to much of the medieval congress this year. On the morning of day two, my knees said, "Fuhgeddabahdit". I said, "Come on, knees, show some spirit! 'Over hill, over dale, as we traipse the dusty trail'..." . I realized I was singing alone. My knees said, "You might get us to the bottom of the first dale, one way or another, but you'll be crawling out on your elbows". So,
xcgclQy.jpg

GT this was one of those deals where I saw the Case and asked how much to which the old man responded "I want to sell all of them at one price". so I asked how much again thinking he was going to come back with some ridiculous price when I heard him say how about 5 bucks each $20 for all four. Of course i replied with a crisp $20 bill.
You certainly bought a vintage Barlow reasonably priced, as per your sig, Randy! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

A little update for Gevonovich Gevonovich . It has been just a little over 8 months since your post where you said:
If it saves even one of my brothers or sisters then my heart will soar.

So I am updating this reply of mine from January:
I am 50 pounds lighter
Now over 90 pounds lighter. And still losing.

Had a full checkup in April. All of my blood work numbers are in the "normal" ranges. HbA1C, blood glucose, lipids, all of it. According to the standard charts for my height, I am now officially merely "overweight" and no longer "obese" or the original category of "morbidly obese."

Ripple effect - One of my older sisters is following suit, more or less, and is reversing her type 2 diabetes. Better results in her A1C numbers from 3 months of dietary change than any other treatment she has been on, plus she is also losing weight (not sure how much, she lives across the country) that she had kind of given up on losing.

So your wish is granted: a brother AND a sister saved. :)

Knife content: My green Case Peanut is in my pocket today. I used it to cut the tags off my brand new 40" waist jeans I am wearing today, that are COMFORTABLE. Down from 52" just 8 months ago.

A little update for Gevonovich Gevonovich . It has been just a little over 8 months since your post where you said:

So I am updating this reply of mine from January:

Now over 90 pounds lighter. And still losing.

Had a full checkup in April. All of my blood work numbers are in the "normal" ranges. HbA1C, blood glucose, lipids, all of it. According to the standard charts for my height, I am now officially merely "overweight" and no longer "obese" or the original category of "morbidly obese."

Ripple effect - One of my older sisters is following suit, more or less, and is reversing her type 2 diabetes. Better results in her A1C numbers from 3 months of dietary change than any other treatment she has been on, plus she is also losing weight (not sure how much, she lives across the country) that she had kind of given up on losing.

So your wish is granted: a brother AND a sister saved. :)

Knife content: My green Case Peanut is in my pocket today. I used it to cut the tags off my brand new 40" waist jeans I am wearing today, that are COMFORTABLE. Down from 52" just 8 months ago.

What a treat to log on tonight and receive this gift, John!! :D This lights up my life Sir. First and foremost, I salute your power ...wow..it must look and feel divine. It does to me. Your sister too :):):)
My all the blessings flow to Ivor !!! Ivor Cummins is heaven sent. Special thanks to Dr. Ken Berry and David Snyder NLP

Thank you, John :D:D:D:D:D

Thank you, John
You are very welcome. The ripples from your pebble do not stop there. My sister's doctor is so impressed with her results, she is asking my sister what she has been doing, because the doctor's HUSBAND needs to lose a lot of weight. My own urologist is asking ME what I am doing so HE can follow suit. Doctors. Learning how to be healthy from patients.

Because you decided, probably with some trepidation, to share something with your friends. And you did it. And you are improving lives, of people you never knew. Seems like such a little thing. I am only posting this stuff, not to brag about success, but to keep the pebble rolling along.

I have a long way to go yet. But to give a little something back, while I also pay it forward, I wanted to share it with you. And sure, I've worked at it, hard. And the ground was fertile - I was already primed to do something. Looking for a solution. But your perfectly timed post, right when I was looking for an answer, started the ball rolling. So really, everything else builds off that one effort.

I can never repay you, so I'll just try to keep paying it forward. God bless you, my friend.

You are very welcome. The ripples from your pebble do not stop there. My sister's doctor is so impressed with her results, she is asking my sister what she has been doing, because the doctor's HUSBAND needs to lose a lot of weight. My own urologist is asking ME what I am doing so HE can follow suit. Doctors. Learning how to be healthy from patients.

Because you decided, probably with some trepidation, to share something with your friends. And you did it. And you are improving lives, of people you never knew. Seems like such a little thing. I am only posting this stuff, not to brag about success, but to keep the pebble rolling along.

I have a long way to go yet. But to give a little something back, while I also pay it forward, I wanted to share it with you. And sure, I've worked at it, hard. And the ground was fertile - I was already primed to do something. Looking for a solution. But your perfectly timed post, right when I was looking for an answer, started the ball rolling. So really, everything else builds off that one effort.

I can never repay you, so I'll just try to keep paying it forward. God bless you, my friend.
You have choked me up, my friend. My doctor informed me he is going to see Dr. Ken Berry's talk in San Antonio ! The ball IS rolling ...The butterfly effect is real :)

Toned-down version:
Well, it was about the vikings, and they set up a straw man to make old news sound earth-shattering: 'It isn't the case, as has always [never] been believed, that all vikings did nothing except kill people all day every day. Digs in York prove that they had houses, trade, and manufacturing! They also settled and farmed!' [paraphrase]
But the treatment of blades was very distressing: "Here's a crucible steel viking blade that's superior because it's homogenous.""Here's a pattern-welded viking blade that's superior because it's heterogenous."[almost a direct quote]
And they equated Frankish blades with viking blades. Sure, the vikings were happy to get Frankish blades, but the Franks were somebody else.
And snippets of interviews with experts that don't seem to relate to anything, almost as if they had to do some padding to fill the hour.
And I don't think a Norseman should be called a viking unless he's a sea-rover.
And Faye and Tracy nowhere in sight.
0T8wbOS.jpg

Last edited:
Back