"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I've amassed some American pressed glass too .Footed high ball glass circa 1880.
P1000262.JPG

Another high ball. From ten or twenty years earlier.
P1000268.JPG

I've amassed some American pressed glass too .Footed high ball glass circa 1880.
P1000262.JPG

Another high ball. From ten or twenty years earlier.
P1000268.JPG

Beautiful glasses! Must make any drink taste a lot better, I'm very fond of glass and would like to start collecting it but it's hard to find decent examples. Those are superb.

Regards, Will

Well, it's Memorial Day in these United States. I am grateful to all the soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen that have given their lives in service to our country. May they rest in peace, and may we ever honor them.
PbSzEwS.jpg

MWqzNYO.jpg

CB3XCm2.jpg

I think we are fortunate to have the "Blue Ghost" permanently moored here as a museum. She saw much action in WWII. It's my favorite museum, and I've been to the Metropolitan Museum in New York and the Art Institute of Chicago.

There's nothing more American than baseball. Caught a game last night at our local AA ballpark (Astros affilliate).
spqr4F2.jpg

KafIBU9.jpg

Visited the Cotton Club, a lounge next to the press box with a great view (my son designed the renovated lounge, by the way--:) ):
ZlWdoxX.jpg

They have plenty of beer, of course.
gjw0qC2.jpg

SQg2OgC.jpg

Our seats were right behind the home dugout:
EtWh8Ug.jpg

Our team won 9-1!
Fireworks after the game for Memorial Day weekend (they also have fireworks every Friday night).
5iTTQ9H.jpg

0wdthD6.jpg

I am flying my American flag today, and going to visit my granddaughter (and her parents!) later today. May catch a little baseball on television in the meantime.
Have a good and safe holiday, everyone.

Prester John Prester John

Thanks for posting that...

My wife’s great uncle was XO for Fighting Squadron 2 (VF-2) aboard the Lexington CV-2. He moved to the Yorktown Fighting 3 after the Lex was sunk May 8. He was killed May 30, 1942 when one of his squadron mates landed on top of his Hellcat. He was awarded the DFC posthumously and a destroyer was named for him. The USS Lovelace. His CO was Jimmy Thatch. Both Jimmy and Butch O’Hare were good friends. He was USNA class of ‘28.

Prester John Prester John

Thanks for posting that...

My wife’s great uncle was XO for Fighting Squadron 2 (VF-2) aboard the Lexington CV-2. He moved to the Yorktown Fighting 3 after the Lex was sunk May 8. He was killed May 30, 1942 when one of his squadron mates landed on top of his Hellcat. He was awarded the DFC posthumously and a destroyer was named for him. The USS Lovelace. His CO was Jimmy Thatch. Both Jimmy and Butch O’Hare were good friends. He was USNA class of ‘28.
One of many we owe a great debt to. May he rest in peace.

Hi guys... Been eyeing a traditional knife again. It's been some time since I last purchased one. I like sodbuster designs and have read great things about the Maserin Plow here on the forums. However, these are sold through collectorknives. In Europe, where I live, I haven't seen these listed but I do see the Maserin Scout here and there. It looks very similar, apart for some scale options. Am I missing something or are these practically the same knives? Thanks!

I received a double dose of kindness today in the form of two surprise packages from my fellow Guardians, @OLd_gUY and @Pt-Luso :) :thumbsup:

OG very kindly sent me a souvenir water-bottle and hiking staff medallion from his recent trip to Yosemite :)

From OGS.JPG

And Jose sent a generous Portuguese care package :)

1QFbik3.jpg

Thanks so much guys, you really made my day :) :thumbsup:

I've been shuffling my kitchen knives around. Since my Rada kick, I've been running down to the basement to get the knives I want to cook with.
Gw9wxNO.jpg

So what have I got up here now- Rada curved and santoku 5" utility knives, larger santoku, and parer. Case serrated and straight parers, Robeson slim and hooked parers; an Asianesque large, curved, Granton-edged substitute for a chef's knife; and the Gerber, which might change places with the Olsen. I think the Olsen is worth a bit of cosmetic work to cover the missing rivet-head.
Here's the Asianesque:
d1HuONT.jpg

Kohaishu knife, it says.

Last edited:
I received a double dose of kindness today in the form of two surprise packages from my fellow Guardians, @OLd_gUY and @Pt-Luso :) :thumbsup:

OG very kindly sent me a souvenir water-bottle and hiking staff medallion from his recent trip to Yosemite :)

View attachment 1137332

1QFbik3.jpg

Splendid gestures. Nice going, guys! :thumbsup:

View attachment 1137332

1QFbik3.jpg

That's just fantastic Jack! Kudos to both of you José & OG! :)

Three weeks of Malkin walkin', at least the parts of it I choose to remember. (No more than an hour at a time, no more than two days in a row, warm up by walking slow and easy at first (no need for twenty minutes of stretching)). Pleasure walking is more engaging and less dogmatic than the ten-years-later aerobic walking.
ROPD0AR.jpg

I also haven't had a beer since Sunday, though I'm drinking two glasses of wine a day so as not to shock my system.
I'm trying to get into shape before my first physical in twenty years.
Still plenty of time to cancel it.

I attended the Queen Bankruptcy auction today. Kind of bittersweet. Seeing and talking with guys I've known a long time, and others who I met for the first time today, was a good part. Seeing the factory with so much inventory and history being sold off for literally pennies on the dollar, was sad. I have no doubt that I saw 10's of thousands of blades, liners, bolsters, handle materials, etc. Nearly 700 lots total, but some of the lots were "this entire 20 foot long rack of inventory, 5 shelves high." Although it was moderately crowded at the beginning (I'm guessing maybe 500 people), the crowd did thin out by mid-point. It seemed a handful of guys were doing 90% of the buying.

I didn't get much. I have no use for 5,000 stamped brass liners for a medium stockman pattern, and so didn't even really want to bid on most of the stuff. I'm curious if the market will be flooded by all this Queen inventory in the upcoming year.

Back