1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    I've amassed some American pressed glass too .Footed high ball glass circa 1880.
    [​IMG]

Another high ball. From ten or twenty years earlier.
    [​IMG]

2. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Where does the term highball stem from?

3. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 9.17.31 AM.png

I did the google @meako and this is what came up. Yes it was related to the stem - so you were intuitively correct. You should have learned this in school ;)

Ray

4. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Beautiful glasses! Must make any drink taste a lot better, I'm very fond of glass and would like to start collecting it but it's hard to find decent examples. Those are superb.

Regards, Will

5. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    We had a mass near-birthday dinner yesterday. It went ok.
    [​IMG]

Cambertree and meako like this.
  6. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Well, it's Memorial Day in these United States. I am grateful to all the soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen that have given their lives in service to our country. May they rest in peace, and may we ever honor them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think we are fortunate to have the "Blue Ghost" permanently moored here as a museum. She saw much action in WWII. It's my favorite museum, and I've been to the Metropolitan Museum in New York and the Art Institute of Chicago.

There's nothing more American than baseball. Caught a game last night at our local AA ballpark (Astros affilliate).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Visited the Cotton Club, a lounge next to the press box with a great view (my son designed the renovated lounge, by the way--:) ):
    [​IMG]
    They have plenty of beer, of course.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Our seats were right behind the home dugout:
    [​IMG]
    Our team won 9-1!
    Fireworks after the game for Memorial Day weekend (they also have fireworks every Friday night).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am flying my American flag today, and going to visit my granddaughter (and her parents!) later today. May catch a little baseball on television in the meantime.
    Have a good and safe holiday, everyone.

willard0341, Pt-Luso, btb01 and 16 others like this.
  7. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    @Prester John

Thanks for posting that...

My wife’s great uncle was XO for Fighting Squadron 2 (VF-2) aboard the Lexington CV-2. He moved to the Yorktown Fighting 3 after the Lex was sunk May 8. He was killed May 30, 1942 when one of his squadron mates landed on top of his Hellcat. He was awarded the DFC posthumously and a destroyer was named for him. The USS Lovelace. His CO was Jimmy Thatch. Both Jimmy and Butch O’Hare were good friends. He was USNA class of ‘28.

8. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    One of many we owe a great debt to. May he rest in peace.

Fodderwing and JB in SC like this.
  9. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Great post Vince. God Bless America

meako and Prester John like this.
  10. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Just because

11. Galeocerdoshark

Galeocerdoshark

May 21, 2011
    Hi guys... Been eyeing a traditional knife again. It's been some time since I last purchased one. I like sodbuster designs and have read great things about the Maserin Plow here on the forums. However, these are sold through collectorknives. In Europe, where I live, I haven't seen these listed but I do see the Maserin Scout here and there. It looks very similar, apart for some scale options. Am I missing something or are these practically the same knives? Thanks!

12. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I received a double dose of kindness today in the form of two surprise packages from my fellow Guardians, @OLd_gUY and @Pt-Luso :) :thumbsup:

OG very kindly sent me a souvenir water-bottle and hiking staff medallion from his recent trip to Yosemite :)

From OGS.JPG

And Jose sent a generous Portuguese care package :)

[​IMG]

Thanks so much guys, you really made my day :) :thumbsup:

btb01, glennbad, Cambertree and 17 others like this.
  13. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    I've been shuffling my kitchen knives around. Since my Rada kick, I've been running down to the basement to get the knives I want to cook with.
    [​IMG]
    So what have I got up here now- Rada curved and santoku 5" utility knives, larger santoku, and parer. Case serrated and straight parers, Robeson slim and hooked parers; an Asianesque large, curved, Granton-edged substitute for a chef's knife; and the Gerber, which might change places with the Olsen. I think the Olsen is worth a bit of cosmetic work to cover the missing rivet-head.
    Here's the Asianesque:
    [​IMG]
    Kohaishu knife, it says.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Cambertree, Will Power, meako and 3 others like this.
  14. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Splendid gestures. Nice going, guys! :thumbsup:

Jack Black likes this.
  15. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    That's just fantastic Jack! Kudos to both of you José & OG! :)

Jack Black and Prester John like this.
  16. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Dwight, it was a lovely surprise :) :thumbsup:

Prester John likes this.
  17. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Three weeks of Malkin walkin', at least the parts of it I choose to remember. (No more than an hour at a time, no more than two days in a row, warm up by walking slow and easy at first (no need for twenty minutes of stretching)). Pleasure walking is more engaging and less dogmatic than the ten-years-later aerobic walking.
    [​IMG]
    I also haven't had a beer since Sunday, though I'm drinking two glasses of wine a day so as not to shock my system.
    I'm trying to get into shape before my first physical in twenty years.
    Still plenty of time to cancel it.

18. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    One of my favorite watches has been missing for a week. Found it in the washing machine two loads later.
    [​IMG]
    And it's still keeping time. It must have a good gasket.

19. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Better than Timex. "Takes a licking...."

JohnDF, r8shell and scrteened porch like this.
  20. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    I attended the Queen Bankruptcy auction today. Kind of bittersweet. Seeing and talking with guys I've known a long time, and others who I met for the first time today, was a good part. Seeing the factory with so much inventory and history being sold off for literally pennies on the dollar, was sad. I have no doubt that I saw 10's of thousands of blades, liners, bolsters, handle materials, etc. Nearly 700 lots total, but some of the lots were "this entire 20 foot long rack of inventory, 5 shelves high." Although it was moderately crowded at the beginning (I'm guessing maybe 500 people), the crowd did thin out by mid-point. It seemed a handful of guys were doing 90% of the buying.

I didn't get much. I have no use for 5,000 stamped brass liners for a medium stockman pattern, and so didn't even really want to bid on most of the stuff. I'm curious if the market will be flooded by all this Queen inventory in the upcoming year.

btb01, Ramrodmb, Jack Black and 2 others like this.