"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

You know this talk of things people say that aggravate us, and today being the 75th anniversary of D-Day brings one to mind I've heard. Especially on this day, and it usually goes like this, " The French should kiss our butt, we saved them from the Germans,twice!" :mad::thumbsdown: Grrrr what a crappy viewpoint on history, first if we would have borders with Germany in '38-40 we would have fallen to. NOBODY was prepared for the blitzkrieg, and the U.S. was completely unprepared at that time. My answer to the above asinine comment usually is " It was the least we could do for them, we owe France quite a bit" that usually prompts the question of how, and I answer "read a history book, without France there would be no America,after all they sure helped back when we decided not to be under the English crown" I despise ignorance of our history, and it seems less and less is taught to our succeeding generations :(

The Germans were prepared for the blitzkrieg...they invented methamphetamine and gave it to troops to keep them going without sleep for days at a time.
No sleep is very bad for peoples minds.
It was marketed as a pick me up for housewives in chocolate bars.
Perveteen.

Had a good visit with my 85-year-old uncle. He was 10 when D-Day happened, but served in the Air Force during the 1950s. Went to a restaurant that has been open since before D-Day. Literally. They started in 1941, and they never close. Not even for Christmas. It might be my favourite restaurant. Mi Tierra in downtown San Antonio. I probably first ate there in the '60s.

Knife pic:
Zi9EGlI.jpg

20190607-173750.jpg
Ive got that album on vinyl.:thumbsup:
This is my Grandad.
Kenneth William Kingsley Brown RAF Tangmere , Battle of Britain.
I hope wherever you are Kenny (he hated being called Kenny) they have a goodly supply of Vermouth and a few Panatellas.

Last edited:
I flew to New York last month, so was basically knifeless for a few days (aside from borrowing one of Mom's SAK Classics to have in my pocket) While wandering around Chinatown, I saw a lady selling various odds & ends spread out on a blanket on the sidewalk. Couldn't resist buying a $2 folding knife just to ward off the no-knife-shakes. :D I just got a package in the mail; Mom went back and found the lady and bought a few more of them, kept one and mailed me a couple.
b0CtwxG.jpg
hq7U8JF.jpg

There's something cool about a friction folder stripped down to nothing but function. There are a few interesting details. The white part is a very thin metal collar, and there's a nail head driven into the wood at the spot where the tang of the knife hits when open. I wish I could find out what the writing says:
SZ3YWHj.jpg

that's pretty slick - I may need to make a couple of those!
Go for it!
Cool knife r8shell r8shell - I'd like your Mom too! :thumbsup:

Ray
Thanks! She asked me if they are really usable knives. I told her they should be fine for cutting paper and tape. But so is the tin can lid they were made from. ;)
“All erroneous ideas, all poisonous weeds, all ghosts and monsters must be eliminated. Under no circumstances may they be allowed to spread unchecked.”

Although Mao has been gone for many years, his influence on the culture persists even today.
Hmm...that sounds like a long quote for just four characters. o_O

Try, "Well what is it then? Is it bigger than a bread box?"

You have got to have some Yorkshire ancestry Frank! :D :thumbsup:

I flew to New York last month, so was basically knifeless for a few days (aside from borrowing one of Mom's SAK Classics to have in my pocket) While wandering around Chinatown, I saw a lady selling various odds & ends spread out on a blanket on the sidewalk. Couldn't resist buying a $2 folding knife just to ward off the no-knife-shakes. :D I just got a package in the mail; Mom went back and found the lady and bought a few more of them, kept one and mailed me a couple.
b0CtwxG.jpg
hq7U8JF.jpg

There's something cool about a friction folder stripped down to nothing but function. There are a few interesting details. The white part is a very thin metal collar, and there's a nail head driven into the wood at the spot where the tang of the knife hits when open. I wish I could find out what the writing says:
SZ3YWHj.jpg

Totally kool! :cool: :thumbsup:

good question - there used to be a subscription tab on my profile that listed the date - it's not there now. :(

I can't find it anywhere either, but I'm fairly certain that I received a reminder email about a week before it was going to expire.

If you're using a desktop browser, hover your cursor over "Paid Subscriptions" at the top of this page. A drop-down menu will appear. Click on "Purchase Details"

If you're on a phone/touchscreen device, I have no idea. :confused:

Back