"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

The Germans were prepared for the blitzkrieg...they invented methamphetamine and gave it to troops to keep them going without sleep for days at a time.
No sleep is very bad for peoples minds.
It was marketed as a pick me up for housewives in chocolate bars.
Perveteen.

Yeah, the German slang term for methamphetamine/Pervitin was actually ‘Blitz’, which gives a new meaning to ‘Blitzkrieg’.

I flew to New York last month, so was basically knifeless for a few days (aside from borrowing one of Mom's SAK Classics to have in my pocket) While wandering around Chinatown, I saw a lady selling various odds & ends spread out on a blanket on the sidewalk. Couldn't resist buying a $2 folding knife just to ward off the no-knife-shakes. :D I just got a package in the mail; Mom went back and found the lady and bought a few more of them, kept one and mailed me a couple.
b0CtwxG.jpg
hq7U8JF.jpg

There's something cool about a friction folder stripped down to nothing but function. There are a few interesting details. The white part is a very thin metal collar, and there's a nail head driven into the wood at the spot where the tang of the knife hits when open. I wish I could find out what the writing says:
SZ3YWHj.jpg

Nice one r8shell. Context can change meaning, but the characters basically mean ‘Smooth and Sharp’. The first character means a river, so presumably it’s a poetic modifier to the smooth cutting claim. The ‘river’ character might also be a family or persons name.

If you're using a desktop browser, hover your cursor over "Paid Subscriptions" at the top of this page. A drop-down menu will appear. Click on "Purchase Details"

If you're on a phone/touchscreen device, I have no idea. :confused:

cool - right click on the arrow, then select details.
thanks!

Nice one r8shell. Context can change meaning, but the characters basically mean ‘Smooth and Sharp’. The first character means a river, so presumably it’s a poetic modifier to the smooth cutting claim. The ‘river’ character might also be a family or persons name.
Thanks! "Smooth and sharp" That's a cool knife name. :cool::thumbsup:

If you're using a desktop browser, hover your cursor over "Paid Subscriptions" at the top of this page. A drop-down menu will appear. Click on "Purchase Details"

You're awesome! Thank you. :)

I flew to New York last month, so was basically knifeless for a few days (aside from borrowing one of Mom's SAK Classics to have in my pocket) While wandering around Chinatown, I saw a lady selling various odds & ends spread out on a blanket on the sidewalk. Couldn't resist buying a $2 folding knife just to ward off the no-knife-shakes. :D I just got a package in the mail; Mom went back and found the lady and bought a few more of them, kept one and mailed me a couple.
b0CtwxG.jpg
hq7U8JF.jpg

There's something cool about a friction folder stripped down to nothing but function. There are a few interesting details. The white part is a very thin metal collar, and there's a nail head driven into the wood at the spot where the tang of the knife hits when open. I wish I could find out what the writing says:
SZ3YWHj.jpg

How can you tell when your Gold Membership is due?

I can't find it anywhere either, but I'm fairly certain that I received a reminder email about a week before it was going to expire.
By the time I got here with my quotes, they'd been taken care of.
Cool knife and translating.

Maybe. My grandmother was of English ancestry.
Actually, what I had was parents who were born over a hundred years ago. Some of the expressions that I picked up as a youngster are a bit dated.

A shame so many have been lost or simply gone out of use Frank :) One that I recall hearing, and finding funny was, "He'd follow a muck-cart and think it were a wedding"! :D :thumbsup:

We saw hand-cranked circ-saw bread slicers in Germany in 1967, and bought one and mailed it home. Mom made all our bread for years. Mostly honey whole wheat, four loaves at a time on Saturdays, that we would eat warm with French omelettes. Who cared that Saturday lunch interfered with Sky King?
Of course, as a knife knut, I prefer to use a knife these days.

We saw hand-cranked circ-saw bread slicers in Germany in 1967, and bought one and mailed it home. Mom made all our bread for years. Mostly honey whole wheat, four loaves at a time on Saturdays, that we would eat warm with French omelettes. Who cared that Saturday lunch interfered with Sky King?
Of course, as a knife knut, I prefer to use a knife these days.

"Out of the clear blue of the Western sky comes Sky King!" I remembered the name of the plane too - Songbird :confused:

Yikes - out of the fading gray matter of the eastern man comes these memories! :)

I would have enjoyed Saturday lunch with you guys even if I had to watch Roller Derby. :D

Ray

How can you tell when your Gold Membership is due?

good question - there used to be a subscription tab on my profile that listed the date - it's not there now. :(

I can't find it anywhere either, but I'm fairly certain that I received a reminder email about a week before it was going to expire.

This question prompted me to look around, as I only use internet from my phone. In the upper right corner the 3 lines indicating the menu, touch it, scroll down the menu to "paid subscriptions" but dont touch the text, touch the down arrow beside it. Then a new line appears will say "purchase details" touch that, and you'll get a search bar letting you look up other people's details (I find that one odd) but below that it'll give you yours, for example mine runs out Sept 2

JB in SC JB in SC - :D - I never liked that show very much (preferred ZORRO) but it's what we had, so I watched it. Still, I might just sit back for a 1/2 hour tonight and tune in. As we know - $ 15,000.00 is a lot of loot :rolleyes: so I'm intrigued ...

Thanks.

Ray

Back