1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Yeah, the German slang term for methamphetamine/Pervitin was actually ‘Blitz’, which gives a new meaning to ‘Blitzkrieg’.

Nice one r8shell. Context can change meaning, but the characters basically mean ‘Smooth and Sharp’. The first character means a river, so presumably it’s a poetic modifier to the smooth cutting claim. The ‘river’ character might also be a family or persons name.

2. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    cool - right click on the arrow, then select details.
    thanks!

r8shell and Prester John like this.
  3. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Thanks! "Smooth and sharp" That's a cool knife name. :cool::thumbsup:

4. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    You're awesome! Thank you. :)

r8shell likes this.
  5. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    By the time I got here with my quotes, they'd been taken care of.
    Cool knife and translating.

6. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    I don't think this question rates its own thread. Does anybody hunt with this blade shape? I think that was what they were for, and I think they were popular, but I don't think I've seen one in the "Trads and hunting" thread.
    [​IMG]

7. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    the schrade trailing point hunters were very popular for many years - i'm pretty sure there are versions of that still in production under the new owners.

meako and scrteened porch like this.
  8. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Maybe. My grandmother was of English ancestry.
    Actually, what I had was parents who were born over a hundred years ago. Some of the expressions that I picked up as a youngster are a bit dated.

zolthar, Cambertree, btb01 and 4 others like this.
  9. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    A shame so many have been lost or simply gone out of use Frank :) One that I recall hearing, and finding funny was, "He'd follow a muck-cart and think it were a wedding"! :D :thumbsup:

JB in SC, zolthar, Cambertree and 4 others like this.
  10. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    @Jack Black

We had a bread box when I was a kid.

My late FIL told me about the first time he saw a bread slicer back in the 30’s. “The best thing since sliced bread” was a familiar saying of his.

Jack Black and JohnDF like this.
  11. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    We saw hand-cranked circ-saw bread slicers in Germany in 1967, and bought one and mailed it home. Mom made all our bread for years. Mostly honey whole wheat, four loaves at a time on Saturdays, that we would eat warm with French omelettes. Who cared that Saturday lunch interfered with Sky King?
    Of course, as a knife knut, I prefer to use a knife these days.

12. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    "Out of the clear blue of the Western sky comes Sky King!" I remembered the name of the plane too - Songbird :confused:

Yikes - out of the fading gray matter of the eastern man comes these memories! :)

I would have enjoyed Saturday lunch with you guys even if I had to watch Roller Derby. :D

Ray

meako and scrteened porch like this.
  13. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    This question prompted me to look around, as I only use internet from my phone. In the upper right corner the 3 lines indicating the menu, touch it, scroll down the menu to "paid subscriptions" but dont touch the text, touch the down arrow beside it. Then a new line appears will say "purchase details" touch that, and you'll get a search bar letting you look up other people's details (I find that one odd) but below that it'll give you yours, for example mine runs out Sept 2

14. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    I searched just to see what info I got, @JohnDF yours expires July 1,

Prester John likes this.
  15. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Yup. I wonder if we get a reminder?

16. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    If I remember correctly, we do.

JohnDF likes this.
  17. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Thanks, Alan. :thumbsup:

joeradza likes this.
  18. JB in SC

May 19, 2001
  19. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    @JB in SC - :D - I never liked that show very much (preferred ZORRO) but it's what we had, so I watched it. Still, I might just sit back for a 1/2 hour tonight and tune in. As we know - $ 15,000.00 is a lot of loot :rolleyes: so I'm intrigued ...

Thanks.

Ray

Prester John likes this.
  20. JB in SC

May 19, 2001
    Guy Williams was a better actor :)

meako and Prester John like this.