"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Jack Black said:
I thought the alternative was smoking behind the bike sheds?! :confused: ;) :D :thumbsup:

They had a smoking section for students at my high school. Never had to hide.[/QUOTE]

They had one at my secondary skool, but I never took up the opportunity, smoking rather openly, and smirking in juvenile fashion :rolleyes: ;) :D :thumbsup:

The first day of seventh grade, my buddy and I reported to the band director’s office, because neither of us wanted to sing. Mr. Fischer asked, “What do you play?”

“Uhhhh, clarinet?”

“Not any more, you don’t. You guys are going to be my tuba section.”

Do you ever look back on your youth, and say ruefully, “Gee, I wish I had kept playing the piano”? Or violin, or saxophone?

Doesn’t happen that way with the sousaphone.

Thank you, my friend.:)

That video doesn’t really show the amazing scenery that some of the other riding-the-rails pieces do, but I just thought it might be interesting, given his technique for honing his pocketknife. Humans are endlessly inventive.

Another one showing the kit loadout of a modern hobo (including cutting tools):

And this one has a bit more Alaskan scenery:

These trainhopping videos can be quite compelling - I love seeing the immense variety and beauty of the American countryside, as they roll on through.:thumbsup:

Also if anyone is wondering what that book was, with the instructions on making a wood whistle, here it is:

View attachment 1150774

It’s a fantastic book to while away some time with, or to do cool whittling projects with kids. Highly recommended.

View attachment 1150773
Always wanted to move to the Yukon when I was kid with my falcon named Farka :) Really enjoyed the vids sir ! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Looks like a great book and definitely a fine ettrick ! :):):D

The first day of seventh grade, my buddy and I reported to the band director’s office, because neither of us wanted to sing. Mr. Fischer asked, “What do you play?”

“Uhhhh, clarinet?”

“Not any more, you don’t. You guys are going to be my tuba section.”

Do you ever look back on your youth, and say ruefully, “Gee, I wish I had kept playing the piano”? Or violin, or saxophone?

Doesn’t happen that way with the sousaphone.

LOL! Great story Henry :D :thumbsup:

The secret is to play clarinet before you get to high school. I played in marching band and orchestra for all four years in high school, then I went to a college with a top conservatory of music. (For those in other countries, in the US college and university at the undergraduate level are interchangeable words. It is a matter of institutional history.When I was there my "college" had a liberal arts college, a conservatory of music, and a graduate level theological school. Technically, that makes my "college" a small university.)

I went out for freshman band. I was last chair and the person next to me was so much better than I was that I put the clarinet in its case and it did not come out until one of my children used it in elementary school. It is now sitting in my garage waiting for a new home. Over the years, about five different children have used it. It is along in years (about 70) but still useful as a student instrument.

I took Eleanor fishing for the first time today. She has her own rod and reel, but we're still working on casting, and she doesn't quite have the patience yet to sit and wait for a bite, so I did most of the fishing. We had a good time, and "she" caught her first fish, a little pumpkinseed. She helped reel it in, and was excited to hold it up for a picture.

s6EW0dM.jpg

VyBOD3k.jpg

A few years back, I was helping my mate put up a rope swing for his kids, he was up the tree, but then couldn't tie a knot to save his life :rolleyes: When it was his son's birthday, I bought him a book on knots and a couple of yards of rope, so that he could learn and teach his dad! :D The following Xmas, I met up with my mate, his missus, and 3 kids at the bookshop, having told them I'd buy them all a book. The kids picked their books, and then I went off with the kids to buy books for their parents. We got the whittling book for my mate, and for his next birthday, his son asked me if he could have a knife, so he and his dad could whittle together :) I have done the same with fire-starting, some years ago, my mate took his lad camping, and they had to drive for pizza because he couldn't get a fire lit! :D I gave the lad a fire-steel and tinder kit for his next birthday, and now they can both start a fire pretty well. He's getting a proper fire steel for Christmas! :D He's nine, and already teaching his dad :D ;) :thumbsup:

wh2W5IW.jpg

Nice one Jack.:thumbsup: Firestarting is definitely another nice skill to pass on to the younguns.:cool:

I give my younger nephews a ‘possibles’ bag each when setting out on a bushwalk and ask them to find the best tinder they can to fill it, by the time we get back.

They were both pretty sharp in zeroing in on pine fatwood and birchbark as the best tinder.:thumbsup:

Thank you, Chin. :)
DCI bands are just like regular marching bands but there are only percussion and brass instruments (no woodwinds) and they are on a higher, more professional level. Their field shows involve story telling through music, dance, and visuals.
Here's a clip that will explain it better than I can.
Imagine running forwards, backwards, sideways, and dancing, all while playing perfectly...

Wow, that’s very impressive John. Thanks for the video. Although there’s quite a few similarities between Australian and American culture, we don’t have anything like that here. The Edinburgh Military Tattoo is traditionally televised on Hogmanay (New Years Eve), but it’s a lot more formal and less dynamic than what your son does.

Chin and Jack you’re giving me ideas. :D

My nephew is about that age and already has pocket knives and whittles a bit. He’s Hasn’t learned to tie many knots yet, so I think a book and cord and challenge/offer may be coming his way. :)

Good stuff, Greg.:thumbsup:

Always wanted to move to the Yukon when I was kid with my falcon named Farka :) Really enjoyed the vids sir ! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Looks like a great book and definitely a fine ettrick ! :):):D

Very cool, Gev - I’m glad you enjoyed those Youtube vids, my friend.:)

I looked into falconry laws once, after finding a cliff face here with Peregrine falcon nests on it, but it’s apparently illegal in Australia.:(

I took Eleanor fishing for the first time today. She has her own rod and reel, but we're still working on casting, and she doesn't quite have the patience yet to sit and wait for a bite, so I did most of the fishing. We had a good time, and "she" caught her first fish, a little pumpkinseed. She helped reel it in, and was excited to hold it up for a picture.

s6EW0dM.jpg

VyBOD3k.jpg

Wonderful, Barrett! Cool looking fish too. Was it big enough to put in the pan when you got home?

I have very happy memories of catching a whole mess of Whiting in a tidal estuary on bamboo fishing poles, while on holidays as a kid, and frying them up right there on the beach.:thumbsup:

Jer @scrteenedporch - I’m sorry to hear of your Type 2 diabetes diagnosis. Hopefully now you’re aware of it, you’ll be equipped to try to keep it in check.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jer @scrteenedporch - I’m sorry to hear of your Type 2 diabetes diagnosis. Hopefully now you’re aware of it, you’ll be equipped to try to keep it in check.:thumbsup:
Well, I've been aware for years that I was flirting with diabetes, but it's still a bit of a shock to wake up married to it. I guess I'm really not immortal and impervious anymore.
But it's a good motivator to cut back and lose weight, like I've been meaning to for years, if not decades. Retinas and kidneys are still ok. Also, I should be eating more starchy vegetables, so I'll get to use my knives more.

I've been controlling my type 2 diabetes with pills for the last 30 (or so) years but, in February, I had 20% of my pancreas removed (malignant tumor) and now, for the first time, I am on small doses of long lasting insulin (in addition to autos and metformin). I've been lucky because my mother, grandmother, uncle, and a number of cousins were on insulin regimes. Follow medical advice; watch your diet, and you should be fine. The biggest mistake that I have seen with my relatives is that they couldn't give up their friendship with Jack Daniels.

Since things are quiet, I am going to change the subject and talk about my avatar. The pistol is a 1859 Colt Navy 44 that my great grandfather carried as a private in the Alabama 43rd infantry. It was probably part of a shipment that Colt sold Alabama in 1859. My father inherited it when he was a teenager and then he gave it to me while I was a teenager. I didn't give it to my son until he was in his forties. When I received it, it was in pretty rough shape. I had a gun smith in Virginia bring it back to museum quality. He wasn't able to replace the nipples for the caps but was able to make them look good. Mechanically, everything now works. I hope that it will be passed down to future generations. I received the holster at the same time as the Colt Navy but it may belong to a Colt 44 Frontier Model that I inherited from my grandfather. In any case, they are both 19th Century family treasures. My son has all my guns so I concentrate on collecting knives.

So are the nipples not useable and not fixable? I don't suppose you'd shoot an heirloom like that anyway.

He couldn't pull the nipples (after many tries) but he made them look great. They went from cracked and rolled back to looking like new. Yes, I would worry about firing it as it has probably been a hundred years plus since it was last fired. You would be much better off buying a high quality reproduction. By the way, the Colt Navy is best known for being the Clint Eastwood pistol in the man with no name Westerns.

Is Jack Black Jack Black clearing off his table?!?

A package came late Monday from Yorkshire with an A.Wright & Sons Hartshead Barlow, as expected. Not only that, but a pile of treats and treasures from Jack Black's famous table of knives. There were nuts and candies, and ten surprise knives! :D It's a busy week, so I won't have a chance to spend much time inspecting and fettling until the weekend, but there are some very nifty knives in there. Thank you so much! I hope your table isn't too bare now.

f5Y5NBT.jpg
1mj6yJv.jpg

Since things are quiet, I am going to change the subject and talk about my avatar. The pistol is a 1859 Colt Navy 44 that my great grandfather carried as a private in the Alabama 43rd infantry. It was probably part of a shipment that Colt sold Alabama in 1859. My father inherited it when he was a teenager and then he gave it to me while I was a teenager. I didn't give it to my son until he was in his forties. When I received it, it was in pretty rough shape. I had a gun smith in Virginia bring it back to museum quality. He wasn't able to replace the nipples for the caps but was able to make them look good. Mechanically, everything now works. I hope that it will be passed down to future generations. I received the holster at the same time as the Colt Navy but it may belong to a Colt 44 Frontier Model that I inherited from my grandfather. In any case, they are both 19th Century family treasures. My son has all my guns so I concentrate on collecting knives.
Fantastic heirloom. :thumbsup:

Back