"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Big milestone today. Tucker, our young border collie mix who I introduced last year, is now fully grown and I'm easing him into being my running partner. He, as you might expect, has boundless energy, but I've been taking it slow to get him used to it and to avoid injury.

Today he ran his first full nonstop mile. He did great! Here's the proud pup afterward:

wIo2rPsh.jpg

Congrats to you and Tucker, Greg! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Although our dogs don't get as much exercise as they should, when I do take them for walks of longer than 10 minutes, they thoroughly enjoy it, but crash afterwards. Seems like each minute of exercise corresponds to 10 minutes of sleeping afterward; 2 hour nap after a 10 minute walk. ;):D I'd be interested to hear if a post-exercise crash is part of Tucker's normal routine.

- GT

Thanks, GT. It takes him a while to realize he’s tired afterward, but he does eventually settle into longer, deeper naps when I push up the mileage and/or elevation gain of our walks. I’m hoping that will continue to be they case as I ramp up our running mileage. :)

Big milestone today. Tucker, our young border collie mix who I introduced last year, is now fully grown and I'm easing him into being my running partner. He, as you might expect, has boundless energy, but I've been taking it slow to get him used to it and to avoid injury.

Today he ran his first full nonstop mile. He did great! Here's the proud pup afterward:

wIo2rPsh.jpg
That's fantastic; what a handsome doggy. :) Don't forget: you have running shoes, he's running barefoot. It might not be an issue where you are, but the pavement gets mighty hot in the summer around here.

I used to have a cat that liked to go along for walks, but made a poor running companion. :p

That's fantastic; what a handsome doggy. :) Don't forget: you have running shoes, he's running barefoot. It might not be an issue where you are, but the pavement gets mighty hot in the summer around here.

I used to have a cat that liked to go along for walks, but made a poor running companion. :p

Thanks!

And, definitely: the temperature is something I always pay attention to. Around here it's pretty much always cool enough for a long walk or run if you get out early enough. Yesterday it was in the 60s when we left the house. Most evenings are OK, too.

In between, it does sometimes get too hot for the dogs to walk. If there's any doubt, I test the pavement with my hands or bare feet first.

I don't know ... looks like his shoes are right beside him. Although he's still short a pair. :p

Shhhh! Don't give him any ideas! :D

Thanks!

And, definitely: the temperature is something I always pay attention to. Around here it's pretty much always cool enough for a long walk or run if you get out early enough. Yesterday it was in the 60s when we left the house. Most evenings are OK, too.

In between, it does sometimes get too hot for the dogs to walk. If there's any doubt, I test the pavement with my hands or bare feet first.
Sigh. It will probably be October before we get mornings in the 60s around here.
I'm sure you take good care of Tucker, and didn't mean to be a scold. I couldn't help mentioning it, since I sometimes see folks walking dogs on the asphalt in the heat of the day. I see folks running in the sun when it's 105 out too, but as long as they're doing it alone, it's their own crazy choice. :rolleyes::D

Sigh. It will probably be October before we get mornings in the 60s around here.
I'm sure you take good care of Tucker, and didn't mean to be a scold. I couldn't help mentioning it, since I sometimes see folks walking dogs on the asphalt in the heat of the day. I see folks running in the sun when it's 105 out too, but as long as they're doing it alone, it's their own crazy choice. :rolleyes::D
I almost didn't take my walk this morning. I wasn't feeling 100%, I'd worn myself out hefting all my stainless knives to find the lightest, and it was like walking into a steam bath, walking out of the house.
YA78k4N.jpg

wIo2rPsh.jpg

WOW!!!!!! That Tucker is a good looking guy and evidently energetic. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Here is our German Shepherd/Australian Shepherd mix CoCo. She is a rescue and we don't make her do much of anything. If she thought she'd have to jog a mile, she'd surely start a sit down strike.

7WrHSNP.jpg

WOW!!!!!! That Tucker is a good looking guy and evidently energetic. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Here is our German Shepherd/Australian Shepherd mix CoCo. She is a rescue and we don't make her do much of anything. If she thought she'd have to jog a mile, she'd surely start a sit down strike.

7WrHSNP.jpg
Good looking dog. Our Lab/Blue Heeler mix sometimes runs for miles with my wife. Some of it may be walking. My Chihuahua goes on shorter walks, but sometimes I have to carry her part of the way.

7WrHSNP.jpg

Thank you so much, ED. That's a beautiful girl you've got there, too!

Fifty years ago today, my family was driving home from the seashore in time to watch men walk on the moon on the big TV screens at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. (my brothers and cousins were very into the whole NASA thing, drinking Tang and putting together models of the lunar module, etc.)

I was seven years old, and I got car-sick on any drive that lasted more than half an hour. So of course I was sitting in the back of the station wagon, throwing up, when the voice on the radio announced "The Eagle has Landed."

My aunt turned to me and said, "For the rest of your life, when anyone asks if you remember where you were, and what you were doing the moment that Mankind landed on the moon, you will have to say that you were vomiting."

If she hadn't said that, I doubt I'd have such a precise memory of that moment, so thank you, Aunt Dorothy! :D

Later, standing in the crowd at the museum, trying to make out which blurry grey blob on the screen was Neil Armstrong's leg, I felt as if I saw a man walk on the moon and at the same time, that I didn't.:confused:
I suppose there are a few other porch members old enough to remember that day.

Fifty years ago today, my family was driving home from the seashore in time to watch men walk on the moon on the big TV screens at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. (my brothers and cousins were very into the whole NASA thing, drinking Tang and putting together models of the lunar module, etc.)

I was seven years old, and I got car-sick on any drive that lasted more than half an hour. So of course I was sitting in the back of the station wagon, throwing up, when the voice on the radio announced "The Eagle has Landed."

My aunt turned to me and said, "For the rest of your life, when anyone asks if you remember where you were, and what you were doing the moment that Mankind landed on the moon, you will have to say that you were vomiting."

If she hadn't said that, I doubt I'd have such a precise memory of that moment, so thank you, Aunt Dorothy! :D

Later, standing in the crowd at the museum, trying to make out which blurry grey blob on the screen was Neil Armstrong's leg, I felt as if I saw a man walk on the moon and at the same time, that I didn't.:confused:
I watched it on television. I was almost 9. Bought Tang this week and had some for breakfast this morning to commemorate. Still amazes me.

I had already been in the Air Force for a year when they landed. Go ahead - make me feel old.

I graduated from high school just over a month before that moon landing. I remember the lunar module touching down on a Sunday afternoon before we had to go out to the barn for the evening milking. (Just looked it up - 4:17pm ET.) My memory says I watched Armstrong step out onto the surface of the moon after we got home from church that night. But the event apparently didn't occur until almost 11pm ET, and I seriously doubt that I'd have stayed up that late to watch it live; my memory of seeing Armstrong step out must be based on tape of the event the next morning. One of my grandpas was one of the folks who thought the entire event was staged and didn't actually occur. This plaque they left on the moon is one of my favorite things:
"Here men from the planet Earth first set foot on the moon—July 1969 A.D.—We came in peace for all mankind."

I saw something on Sportscenter this morning about a baseball-related connection to that first moon landing. It involved Gaylord Perry's first home run, and how a former manager of Perry had supposedly claimed several years earlier that men would walk on the moon before Gaylord Perry hit his first major league HR. His first HR actually occurred less than 30 minutes after the lunar module landed on the moon's surface.
I was surprised that I'd never heard that before, and thought it was a super-cool anecdote. But Snopes is not as impressed as I am:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/moon-shot/

("Famous" events in a relatively-short time frame had quite an impact on an impressionable dairy farm kid back then! :rolleyes:
Dec. 1967 - I get my driver's license!
Jan. 1968 - Tet Offensive begins (another dairy farm kid from our church, 3 years ahead of me in school, got killed at Da Nang and got some big-time medal posthumously for his heroism)
April 1968 - MLK Jr assassination
June 1968 - RFK assassination
Aug. 1968 - Riots at Democratic National Convention
Oct. 1968 - Detroit Tigers win World Series
Oct. 1968 - Apollo 7, first manned Apollo mission, orbits Earth
Nov. 1968 - Nixon elected to first term as US President
Nov. 1968 - Beatles "White Album" released
Dec. 1968 - Apollo 8 loops around moon
Mar. 1969 - Apollo 9 tests lunar module in Earth orbit
May 1969 - Apollo 10 does final "dry run" to the moon
June 1969 - High School Graduation
July 1969 - Apollo 11 Moon Landing
Aug. 1969 - Woodstock
Sept. 1969 - I started college (and have never quit, in a sense :rolleyes:)
Oct. 1969 - Abbey Road, final album The Beatles recorded, was released in US
Dec. 1969 - First draft lottery)

- GT

Last edited:
WIP: As slow as the lathe of heaven.
It's a lot easier to order the blade than to make the handle. I've had this Finnish blade by Lauri for years. It's 125 mm X 20 mm.
Qkz3PUK.jpg

For a while there I was writing on sticks what they were and when I cut them. This stick is lilac from 2007. I have more, in case I mess up. I already messed up a few inches, trying to inlet the tang into a split piece of the stick.
Next step, file a vamplate*, and probably a butt cap, though the planned epoxy would be plenty of structure. If I can find my taps and dies, I'll thread the end of the tang for a nut Norwegian style. Otherwise maybe a little hole for a sideways pin. And taper the handle into a long oval and carve it a bit. Maybe spirals fore and aft and some chip-carving in the middle.

*Spellcheck doesn't like vamplate, though it's obviously a plate in the front of something, and I'm pretty sure it's what you call the hand-protection in front of the grip of a medieval lance.

7WrHSNP.jpg

Coco sounds like a great mix of breeds. Shes a beautiful dog. I've never heard of that particular mix. So many good traits there Ed.
I'm a standard poodle guy, but a real dog lover.

Back