"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Thanks Greg.

CoCo was two months old when we got her and here she is a week after we got her. We couldn't resist the ears!

ulfH1O4.jpg

Yup, those are irresistible ears!

Since we're on the subject, here's Gunny. My wife took this picture one day when I went out the back door without him. He's my ever present helper & is under the impression that I'm unable do anything right without his supervision.
IMG_0213-X2.jpg

Gunny is a handsome fellow. What a great picture!

@r8shell, @Prester John, @Headwinds, @5K Qs, and JohnDF JohnDF , thank you for sharing your memories of the Apollo 11 lunar landing. I enjoyed reading them.

I was born a few years too late to have watched the coverage in real time, but fascination with the space program was a huge part of my childhood. Astronaut was my first career goal, I spent countless hours building and launching model rockets, and I convinced my mom to let me stay home from school to watch the first Space Shuttle launch.

I’m still in awe of what the Apollo program—and the Mercury and Gemini programs before it—accomplished. Even with today’s technology it would have been a huge accomplishment, but, with what was available at the time, it’s astonishing.

Edit: and thanks Modoc ED Modoc ED , too. I was writing this while you were posting.

Last edited:
I was in my teens at the time. We were on a camping vacation. We packed up camp and drove to a town that had a motel. Stayed at the motel one night so we could watch the landing on television. Then went back to camping. Mother and Father thought it was important to watch. To this day I do not disagree.

I was 15 in 1969 when Apollo 11 landed on the moon spending a couple of weeks with my grandparents and my grandfather and I sat in front of the TV in awe. It was then I decided to become an astronaut. By the age of 22 I found my self in the air everyday until 2011. Too bad it was on utility poles for the power company. :eek:

This won't be as pretty as I'd like, but it will be more grippable than the bare tang.
The way Lauri grinds the blade bevel onto the tang makes it tricky to fit a vamplate ( I don't think it's quite a bolster, but it certainly isn't a ferule. Maybe it's a bolster.)
ZVg4V57.jpg

I tried to minimize the gap by filing a v-notch under the heel of the blade and sinking the whole thing a bit. This is aluminum that files very nicely. I don't remember why I bought two three-foot pieces of it, but I'm glad I did. My remaining bit of brass was too thin, but I don't remember why I didn't use my bit of nickel silver. Less of it to spare, maybe.

I'm afraid I'm one of the tiny percentage of people in the Western world alive then who wasn't able to watch the moon landing - as they occurred past my bedtime!! :mad: I forget the reasons why I wasn't allowed a dog, bicycle, pocket money, or shoes that fitted me o_O

I remember listening to it the lunar landing on the radio of a friend's car. We were stationed at Marine Corps Air Station, El Toro, CA at the time & we were at the rifle range, or some other training. The instructors allowed us to go to our vehicles to listen. Afterwards, they cancelled the remainder of the training day because nobody, including the instructors could think of anything else.

I had a small A. G. Russell/Cattaraugus Lockback one of the ones made for his Knife Collectors Club in Seki, Japan and very good quality but the pile side cover was broken. I have a friend that dabbles as a knife mechanic so I sent it to him he's not registered here so if anyone cares to know who he is or his contact info pm or email me. Anyway I always wanted a knife covered with Autumn Gold Smooth Bone and a guitar shield. He sourced the shield from a charm bracelet it is Sterling Silver and the covers are Autumn Gold Smooth Bone. Turned out to be a great little knife.
96iZBci.jpg

I had a small A. G. Russell/Cattaraugus Lockback one of the ones made for his Knife Collectors Club in Seki, Japan and very good quality but the pile side cover was broken. I have a friend that dabbles as a knife mechanic so I sent it to him he's not registered here so if anyone cares to know who he is or his contact info pm or email me. Anyway I always wanted a knife covered with Autumn Gold Smooth Bone and a guitar shield. He sourced the shield from a charm bracelet it is Sterling Silver and the covers are Autumn Gold Smooth Bone. Turned out to be a great little knife.
96iZBci.jpg
I like it Randy. Very cool shield and it looks all the way around like a sweet job. And I love AG Russell.

I'll stop posting this now.
BDLKKJv.jpg
Looks like a great job to me Jer and a real nice size.

When the moon landing took place I was eleven. Grass roof, dirt floors, no electricity. Had no idea it was taking place.

Looks like a great job to me Jer and a real nice size.

When the moon landing took place I was eleven. Grass roof, dirt floors, no electricity. Had no idea it was taking place.

Thank you. Next time I might assemble the handle out of shorter lengths of stick, so I don't have to drill straight for so far, and I can make narrower holes for narrower sections of tang.
The hole is crooked in this one, but wait! I did that on purpose so my point would be inclined to tierce in the en-garde position!

That grass and dirt sounds pretty exotic.
I remember the landing because I was forced to watch the model lander sitting on model dust for hours while the astronauts got dressed. The ultimate bobbing around wasn't very impressive either. I think you had to be older to be struck by how far we'd come in science fact rather than how far we still lagged behind science fiction.

I think this is a real memory: Apollo 13 was visible in the night sky when they were almost home. I remember looking up at them and wondering if they were going to make it.

Today while I looked at my knife collection I realized that I have enough knives in patterns and sizes that I enjoy to use and carry. I have a handful of knives I won't carry or use. I'm wonder with my now small knife budget, should I sell the knives I don't use or should I hold onto them?

At one point, my collection was just knives that I knew I would carry and use. Now my collection consists of some knives I may never carry or use, or knives I have used in the past but I probably won't anymore. Or should I just limit my knife purchases to a handful of knives that I really want? Or am I just over thinking it? LOL idk.

Today while I looked at my knife collection I realized that I have enough knives in patterns and sizes that I enjoy to use and carry. I have a handful of knives I won't carry or use. I'm wonder with my now small knife budget, should I sell the knives I don't use or should I hold onto them?

At one point, my collection was just knives that I knew I would carry and use. Now my collection consists of some knives I may never carry or use, or knives I have used in the past but I probably won't anymore. Or should I just limit my knife purchases to a handful of knives that I really want? Or am I just over thinking it? LOL idk.
I try to keep my collection to about 30 knives, so I end up selling the extras. That makes me think about the one's I'm willing to get rid of and the one's I can't part with. This ensures all the knives in my collection have some type of value to me.

Back