"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I was out of town to attend a memorial service for a departed relative this past weekend. I drove, so taking pocket knives with me was no problem. I took four along - Case Peanut, two types of Case Stockman (6318 Medium and 6347 regular), and an Alox Vic Cadet.

Day 1 - hotel room, sister had some sparkling water and a lemon, but no way to cut the lemon. Case Stockman to the rescue. Perfectly cut lemon.

Day 2 - the memorial service. Afterwards, we did a "scatter the ashes at sea" ceremony. The ashes were enclosed in a plastic bag inside the box. Nobody had a cutting tool but me. The sharp Vic Cadet I had in the pocket of my dress slacks did the honors, cutting the bag, with the appropriate dignity for the task.

So - two little simple situations where having a clean, sharp pocket knife turned problems into non-problems. Felt kind of good.

Amazing how few people carry a knife anymore! Glad you were there to "represent".

I was out of town to attend a memorial service for a departed relative this past weekend. I drove, so taking pocket knives with me was no problem. I took four along - Case Peanut, two types of Case Stockman (6318 Medium and 6347 regular), and an Alox Vic Cadet.

Day 1 - hotel room, sister had some sparkling water and a lemon, but no way to cut the lemon. Case Stockman to the rescue. Perfectly cut lemon.

Day 2 - the memorial service. Afterwards, we did a "scatter the ashes at sea" ceremony. The ashes were enclosed in a plastic bag inside the box. Nobody had a cutting tool but me. The sharp Vic Cadet I had in the pocket of my dress slacks did the honors, cutting the bag, with the appropriate dignity for the task.

So - two little simple situations where having a clean, sharp pocket knife turned problems into non-problems. Felt kind of good.

John I'm sorry to hear of your loss but I am glad you had the right tools for the tasks you encountered.

Jeff glad all went well still wishing you a speedy an complete recovery.

I just spent a week in a cabin in the woods with my daughter and her family. Best time I've had for ever they had a landline (if that's still a word) for emergency's but no tv, cell or internet service. It was a beautiful place with a trout pond I could get to with my wheelchair I know it was stocked but I still had fun. Anyway the time was up this morning and we had to come home my granddaughters were sad because they have school Monday but bat least they got out of the first week.

Sounds like an ideal setting for some relaxation with your family, Randy! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Glad you enjoyed it! :):)

- GT

I forgot to post my carry I took with me last week a 56 Dogleg in natural micarta and a G L Drew custom clip point. If you've never handled one of Gerry's custom sheath knives you really should. He makes an excellent knife at very reasonable prices and he's one of our registered makers. The second picture is simply because I thought it was really cool that Carlos Santana's smiling face was gracing the cover of the latest issue of AARP Magazine.

GW5yCA7.jpg

rxpHmQM.jpg

Man, you don’t know how access-hostile the world can be until you spend time in a chair. I’m out of mine now for a while, “progressed” to a fancy walker. I was fishing on the Cache La Poudre long ago with a young guy in a chair. The state had built an access ramp with perforated metal ramp going into the stream a few feet. No trees behind so a long back cast was possible. Situated on the inside of a broad bend so lots of water to cover. We fished together for a while and before I left he produced a box of some of the finest flies I’d seen. At the time I was also tying flies for money and his were better than mine.

Fishing is a blessing whether one is caught or not. Glad you got in some blessing time.

Years back, when my dad was alive and in better health, I really enjoyed fly fishing with him. Sitting in our Coleman Crawdad, we really didn't do an awful lot of talking, just enjoyed the quiet company, and rocking the boat with our back and forth fly casting motion until one of us complained, LOL.

I don't really fish at all anymore, maybe a deep sea trip once a year. Our son is not really into it, and I just don't have the heart or the spare time for it anymore.

I sure do miss it though...

Years back, when my dad was alive and in better health, I really enjoyed fly fishing with him. Sitting in our Coleman Crawdad, we really didn't do an awful lot of talking, just enjoyed the quiet company, and rocking the boat with our back and forth fly casting motion until one of us complained, LOL.

I don't really fish at all anymore, maybe a deep sea trip once a year. Our son is not really into it, and I just don't have the heart or the spare time for it anymore.

I miss fishing with my dad too. He tells a story of the first time he took me out. I was like 5 years old and he rented a row boat and we fished a pond in Ohio, where we lived at the time. He said all I wanted to do was "row the boat". I wish he were still around to tell the story. He loved to make us laugh.

Anyway, after we moved to Utica, NY, just south of the Adirondack Park, we became pretty good fishermen, my dad, my younger brother and I. Many, many hours spent on the West Canada Creek dry fly fishing for brown trout. We fished and camped on most of the Fulton Chain lakes. Also took trips to Boston to fish Flounder. Best eating fish there is, IMO, fresh fried Flounder fillets (say that 5 times fast!).

Thursday my brother, my oldest son and I have a trip planned to our old fishing spots on the West Canada. I don't care if we catch anything or not.

We might catch something though. Here's 2 nice Brown Trout that my brother's SIL took from the same spot. I cut his head off to protect his identity. He's a good guy.
SGJ1wss.jpg

Last edited:
Man, you don’t know how access-hostile the world can be until you spend time in a chair. I’m out of mine now for a while, “progressed” to a fancy walker. I was fishing on the Cache La Poudre long ago with a young guy in a chair. The state had built an access ramp with perforated metal ramp going into the stream a few feet. No trees behind so a long back cast was possible. Situated on the inside of a broad bend so lots of water to cover. We fished together for a while and before I left he produced a box of some of the finest flies I’d seen. At the time I was also tying flies for money and his were better than mine.

Fishing is a blessing whether one is caught or not. Glad you got in some blessing time.

I miss fishing with my dad too. He tells a story of the first time he took me out. I was like 5 years old and he rented a row boat and we fished a pond in Ohio, where we lived at the time. He said all I wanted to do was "row the boat". I wish he were still around to tell the story. He loved to make us laugh.

Anyway, after we moved to Utica, NY, just south of the Adirondack Park, we we became pretty good fishermen, my dad, my younger brother and I. Many, many hours spent on the West Canada Creek dry fly fishing for brown trout. We fished and camped on most of the Fulton Chain lakes. Also took trips to Boston to fish Flounder. Best eating fish there is, IMO, fresh fried Flounder fillets (say that 5 times fast!).

Thursday my brother, my oldest son and I have a trip planned to our old fishing spots on the West Canada. I don't care if we catch anything or not.

We might catch something though. Here's 2 nice Brown Trout that my brother's SIL took from the same spot. I cut his head off to protect his identity. He's a good guy.
SGJ1wss.jpg
I'm enjoying the fly fishing stories, guys. Thanks so much for sharing them. Fly fishing is one of my life's passions. My Dad hated fishing and anything outdoors (except gardening). I had to catch the fishing bug on my own.

JP, I’m more of a golfer, this made the news recently. I’ve golfed with gators nearby, but not quite this close. I’d probably get flustered, hit a wormburner, crack the gator square, and have him come after me when he just wanted to go about his day.

Last edited:
Back