"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I've never eaten a paw paw, but I've heard L leghog 's song. 50 years ago, I played high school baseball against a team from Paw Paw, MI. Charlie Maxwell, a native of Paw Paw, MI, was a boyhood hero of mine when he played MLB baseball for the Detroit Tigers in the late 1950s. I googled "paw paw" yesterday, and found some alternative names for the fruit; my favorite is "Indiana banana".

- GT

I've never eaten a paw paw, but I've heard L leghog 's song. 50 years ago, I played high school baseball against a team from Paw Paw, MI. Charlie Maxwell, a native of Paw Paw, MI, was a boyhood hero of mine when he played MLB baseball for the Detroit Tigers in the late 1950s. I googled "paw paw" yesterday, and found some alternative names for the fruit; my favorite is "Indiana banana".

- GT
My children called my father-in-law "Paw Paw." I don't think it had any connection to fruit.

A close relative is a plant biologist who digitized a bunch of paw-paw paw research at Kentucky State U., and has written a book of paw-paw recipes. I don’t see her often, and we get little call for paw-paws up here in Minnesota.

Im on the lookout for a pawpaw tree...i believe it would flourish here.
Ive also heard that pawpaw and papaya are different species of plant although the fruit is similar one is tropical ..red papaya and pawpaw more temperate....here they are always orange in colour both the flesh and skin...with a billion seeds which are edible and apparently good for your guts....pawpaws can have an off putting smell ...like vomit....but the fruit is delish.
J Just Tom. your wild pawpaws look great ..good on you for spotting them.

eUbwVLL.jpg

Picked up a few more today. None as big or perfectly ripe as the ones I stumbled on yesterday, but I wanted my wife to taste them. I did find one tree absolutely loaded with perfect looking ones, but it was leaning out over a 15-20 foot sheer drop to the river bank. If I had a crab net or something I could have gotten them.

JP, I’m more of a golfer, this made the news recently. I’ve golfed with gators nearby, but not quite this close. I’d probably get flustered, hit a wormburner, crack the gator square, and have him come after me when he just wanted to go about his day.

This guy lives in a nearby golf course but sometimes he masquerades as a night time speed bump.IMG_1064.jpg

Paw Paws are different in different parts of the world.
I helped pick them in Australia - Papayas
I had dried Paw Paws in California - a completely different plant - as different as apples and watermelons.

OOPS.
What I had in California, was actually dried Persimmons.
And they were good.
However, Australian Paw Paws ARE different than North american ones.
The ones in N. America grow on trees that get quite large.
Tropical papayas grow on a large plant that is not actually a tree - no wood.

I remember that when picking the papayas in Australia, we had to be careful not to get the sap on our skin. They make meat tenderizer out of this, and it will do a number on your skin
The sap of the tree and probably the leaves.
The fruit is good

Back