"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Glad you made it out reasonably OK, David! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
I hate when that kind of stuff happens to me when I'm off-roadin' with my 2007 Focus! :D:rolleyes:

- GT
Thanks, I've actually been offroading in a car lol. Back in high school we used to take my best friend's Chevy Berretta places that guys in 4x4's wouldn't. Just gotta get a longer running start lol, that and being young and dumb and not knowing we COULDN'T do it:D

What a beautiful morning! That knife I just missed on the bay last night, I see in my e-mail I actually won! My Schrade 165 should be here Friday. Not quite the bitter divorcee garage sale price I've been waiting for, but not bad. ($44.75 delivered.) And really, I don't see these at garage sales or antique malls. I've seen one badly chewed up one at an antique mall for way too much and that's it.

Almost ready to get started on my great bread experiment.
TAhI8kA.jpg

An oddly shaped package arrived from Australia. As I took it out of the post office locker, I could feel something struggling to get out. I suppose it was trying to return home, but I managed to grab it before it took flight! :D
8Ydu7x8.jpg

7LIFjmu.jpg

A handmade by meako meako boomerang! So cool, thank you! I wish I could capture the lovely wood grain in pictures. Echo ran over to help.
wW5NCS4.jpg

I think we found the cormorant:
z51MYIN.jpg

Thanks, Jon, it's really cool! I might try to throw it some time, but I'll have to find enough open space. I'll probably get lots of exercise chasing after it (Echo does not fetch) :rolleyes: :D

An oddly shaped package arrived from Australia. As I took it out of the post office locker, I could feel something struggling to get out. I suppose it was trying to return home, but I managed to grab it before it took flight! :D
8Ydu7x8.jpg

7LIFjmu.jpg

A handmade by meako meako boomerang! So cool, thank you! I wish I could capture the lovely wood grain in pictures. Echo ran over to help.
wW5NCS4.jpg

z51MYIN.jpg

Thanks, Jon, it's really cool! I might try to throw it some time, but I'll have to find enough open space. I'll probably get lots of exercise chasing after it (Echo does not fetch) :rolleyes: :D
Really cool, Rachel. Way to go, Jon!

I've been thinking I need a throwing stick for my chipmunk and red squirrel.
I know where my throwing stars are, but stick or star is likely to ricochet. I could shoot gummi bears at them with a slingshot, if slingshots were allowed in Vermin Haven Township.
A bag of ball bearings!
59hXdR3.jpg

I have a bunch of rusty ones downstairs; I'll stitch some up in pack-cloth.
mwa ha ha ha.
No, wait! I'll just tie them up in a sock.

Very cool Meako :thumbsup: Nicely done. Put a neck lanyard on it Rachel and you will always be ready for action. :D
(Slip knot on the lanyard - won't fly as intended with the tail :rolleyes:)

Ray

Last edited:
The mailpersons must have had their winged sandals on....that was quick.
So glad you like it r8shell r8shell ....Now I can't vouch for its aerodynamics re spin and return...I didnt test it....but its got the shape ...it might be left handed...serious....the best part is you need to find suitably curved timber out in the bush...its not simply a cut out shape..
Hold it flat in front of you with both hands and it looks like its been twisted....a bit like 2 propellers..getting that shape was interesting...a lot of rasping and sanding.
The first ones are more like flying cricket bats....not something you want coming back at you...anyway...if thrown correctly it should spin and go straight....conversely its a neat wall hanger and conversation piece...there are various uses too....music...digging...whacking young children to keep in line....I discovered that they make great neck massagers too...nothing like primitive technology...what knife can do all that ?i ask you.:D

The mailpersons must have had their winged sandals on....that was quick.
So glad you like it r8shell r8shell ....Now I can't vouch for its aerodynamics re spin and return...I didnt test it....but its got the shape ...it might be left handed...serious....the best part is you need to find suitably curved timber out in the bush...its not simply a cut out shape..
Hold it flat in front of you with both hands and it looks like its been twisted....a bit like 2 propellers..getting that shape was interesting...a lot of rasping and sanding.
The first ones are more like flying cricket bats....not something you want coming back at you...anyway...if thrown correctly it should spin and go straight....conversely its a neat wall hanger and conversation piece...there are various uses too....music...digging...whacking young children to keep in line....I discovered that they make great neck massagers too...nothing like primitive technology...what knife can do all that ?i ask you.:D
I look forward to trying it out. :D :thumbsup:

8Ydu7x8.jpg

7LIFjmu.jpg

wW5NCS4.jpg

z51MYIN.jpg

Very cool gift meako meako :cool::thumbsup:

meako meako When we were kids, I remember playing with cheap toy "boomerangs" That were very flat and "L" shaped. We tried throwing them like frisbees. They never came back and I assumed I was doing it wrong, but maybe it's because they were cheap toys without that propeller twist. :confused:
I really do appreciate the care that went into the making of this one. It's just lovely.

Another package was in the mail box today, from @Jack Black. As usual when he says he's going to mail something (a Lambsfoot knife that @5K Qs won and passed on to me in the Lambsfoot thread) he goes on to fill the box with all sorts of treasures:
qOyYKOt.jpg

Besides all sorts of candy and snacks (even vegan jerky for my mom!) and fun lamb-themed toys, there are a few cool knives. A Japanese fixed blade (kiridashi?) a Swiss Army style in a nice leather case, and a tiny silver fruit knife.
Plus, a sturdy bottle opener made from an old spindle! I think it might get some use this weekend. :)
Thank you, Jack.

meako meako When we were kids, I remember playing with cheap toy "boomerangs" That were very flat and "L" shaped. We tried throwing them like frisbees. They never came back and I assumed I was doing it wrong, but maybe it's because they were cheap toys without that propeller twist. :confused:
I really do appreciate the care that went into the making of this one. It's just lovely.

Another package was in the mail box today, from @Jack Black. As usual when he says he's going to mail something (a Lambsfoot knife that @5K Qs won and passed on to me in the Lambsfoot thread) he goes on to fill the box with all sorts of treasures:
qOyYKOt.jpg

Besides all sorts of candy and snacks (even vegan jerky for my mom!) and fun lamb-themed toys, there are a few cool knives. A Japanese fixed blade (kiridashi?) a Swiss Army style in a nice leather case, and a tiny silver fruit knife.
Plus, a sturdy bottle opener made from an old spindle! I think it might get some use this weekend. :)
Thank you, Jack.
Congratulations r8shell r8shell and well done @Jack Black and @5K Qs :cool::thumbsup: That little fruit knife is adorable.

qOyYKOt.jpg

Thank you, Jack.
Wonderful gifts! Kudos to Jack. :thumbsup:

Been asked to answer this survey about pocket knives. Let's hope this comes from a maker, not in view of a restrictive law...
sondage.jpg

Back