"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I have been there a number of times over the last five years or so. Although Times Square is a zoo, that is primarily due to the flood of tourists and gawkers in the square. All of the interactions I had in New York City were marked by kindness and courtesy. It is crowded and it is busy for sure but my experiences were all positive.

The city and the people have an undeserved bad reputation.
That's been my experience also, and we get there at least once a year.

If Fred McFeely Rogers had not been an actual person, "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" would be the sappiest and cheesiest movie ever filmed. But knowing he truly existed, I found the film to be a powerful one and consider it a "must see".

Last edited:
If Fred McFeely Rogers had not been an actual person, "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" would be the sappiest and cheesiest movie ever filmed. But knowing he truly existed, I found the film to be a powerful one and consider it a "must see".
When my daughter was very young (3-4 years old), she used to love to dance around the kitchen listening to a Chuck Berry cassette tape while I washed dishes. She also loved to watch Mr. Rogers on PBS. I guess her tastes were quite wide-ranging, since those two guys seem to have almost nothing in common besides putting on a good show.

Thanks for the Bandstand link, Jolipapa.
Thanks for the movie review, leghog (and congrats in advance for your 8000-post milestone).

- GT

My wife and I spent 5 days in NYC last week. It's something we try to do every November, just before the Christmas season really starts. This year we met some friends that live in Maine. An old Air Force buddy of mine and his wife. He was my best man, I was his. We're Godparents to each other's children. Long time friendship...40+ years. It was his 70th birthday and he just retired. We always stay right near Times Square.
Anyway, it was his first time in NYC since he was 14 years old. We did a whirlwind tour of things we loved and things they wanted to see. In the 5 days we managed to walk 27 miles and we threw more 20 dollar bills at cab drivers then we care to count.
Here's some pics from my smartphone. I also had a camera with me but I still need to export the pics to my PC.
I had my new precious, my 2011 Case-Bose Coffin Jack with me. It did spend some time in the hotel room, as many places we visited required security screening. Here's a pic from my breakfast this morning, just in case anyone hasn't seen my gift from Charlie, Paul, Mike, Duncan, Neal and Dave. Thanks again guys!
jbT023B.jpg

We visited the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier Museum. It was my first time on a Carrier, holy cow what a ship! My Uncle served on one during WWII. We also took a tour of the submarine Growler which was part of the museum. Here's a pic of the periscope view taken on my smartphone. Pretty cool.
2teR6G2.jpg

0T4Eh5J.jpg

One of a ball turret. I thought of the "The Death of the Ball Turret Gunner" poem by Randall Jarrell, which Mayonardo Mayonardo reminded us of on Veteran's Day.
w3abmFD.jpg

otWsZCg.jpg

Inside the Intrepid they had many planes on display. Vets get in free too! Nice!
Os1shcp.jpg

The Christmas Tree in Rockefeller Center, not trimmed yet but in place and ready.
TKqombg.jpg

The ice skating rink at Rockefeller Center getting some Zamboni love before the evening skating.
AbRqS3R.jpg

NYC skyline as dusk approaches. Taken from the top of 30 Rockefeller Center. That's the Empire State Building left of center and the World Trade Center just to the right in the distance, and farther out in the harbor you can see the Statue of Liberty, if you zoom in.
l59nEWB.jpg

The Statue of Liberty from the Museum on Liberty Island.
O40AinW.jpg

The Registry Room on Ellis Island. I stood there and imagined my Grandfather and his family in 1902, arriving here from Hungary, via Antwerp Belgium. He was 3 years old. I look at my 3 year old Grandson and thank God everyday that my grandpa came to the US.
027F9lu.jpg

A few random pics.
The Christmas Tree on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, in the Medieval displays.
QKNGUvY.jpg

Ferrara's Bakery in Little Italy. We stopped there on the way to my favorite restaurant, Forlini's. No restaurant pics as they're still on the camera. Sometimes they shoot some Law and Order: SVU scenes at Forlini's. I've been going to this restaurant since 1983. Love the place, love the people.
bzmFgZw.jpg

Inside St. Patrick's Cathedral, where we lit a few candles.
AGL7qyU.jpg

Grand Central Station's Oyster Bar Restaurant and a bowl of Seafood Chowder that I make it a habit to have whenever we're in NYC. They also make the best Bloody Mary I've ever had, also on my list of must haves when here.
zBmT6Sy.jpg

v331VWk.jpg

I'll close out with a year old shot of Times Square last November. All my TS shots this year are still on my camera, waiting to get transferred.
KuYgiKm.jpg

Sorry for the long post. I figured those that may have never visited would get a kick out seeing some images. Well worth the trip if you get the chance!

I was happy to have my Coffin jack along!:)

Thanks for that fantastic post Gary :) :thumbsup:

I have been there a number of times over the last five years or so. Although Times Square is a zoo, that is primarily due to the flood of tourists and gawkers in the square. All of the interactions I had in New York City were marked by kindness and courtesy. It is crowded and it is busy for sure but my experiences were all positive.

The city and the people have an undeserved bad reputation.

I remember talking to a New York cabbie, who was visiting London, back in the 80's, and I asked him if the city was as violent as its reputation. He told me that if you're not looking for trouble you won't find any trouble there. The area I live has a bad reputation, but I've never found anything but kindness here. I found the same living in Beirut in the late 70's :thumbsup:

mGcO4QE.jpg

My wife and I spent 5 days in NYC last week. It's something we try to do every November, just before the Christmas season really starts. This year we met some friends that live in Maine. An old Air Force buddy of mine and his wife. He was my best man, I was his. We're Godparents to each other's children. Long time friendship...40+ years. It was his 70th birthday and he just retired. We always stay right near Times Square.
Anyway, it was his first time in NYC since he was 14 years old. We did a whirlwind tour of things we loved and things they wanted to see. In the 5 days we managed to walk 27 miles and we threw more 20 dollar bills at cab drivers then we care to count.
Here's some pics from my smartphone. I also had a camera with me but I still need to export the pics to my PC.
I had my new precious, my 2011 Case-Bose Coffin Jack with me. It did spend some time in the hotel room, as many places we visited required security screening. Here's a pic from my breakfast this morning, just in case anyone hasn't seen my gift from Charlie, Paul, Mike, Duncan, Neal and Dave. Thanks again guys!
jbT023B.jpg

We visited the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier Museum. It was my first time on a Carrier, holy cow what a ship! My Uncle served on one during WWII. We also took a tour of the submarine Growler which was part of the museum. Here's a pic of the periscope view taken on my smartphone. Pretty cool.
2teR6G2.jpg

0T4Eh5J.jpg

One of a ball turret. I thought of the "The Death of the Ball Turret Gunner" poem by Randall Jarrell, which Mayonardo Mayonardo reminded us of on Veteran's Day.
w3abmFD.jpg

otWsZCg.jpg

Inside the Intrepid they had many planes on display. Vets get in free too! Nice!
Os1shcp.jpg

The Christmas Tree in Rockefeller Center, not trimmed yet but in place and ready.
TKqombg.jpg

The ice skating rink at Rockefeller Center getting some Zamboni love before the evening skating.
AbRqS3R.jpg

NYC skyline as dusk approaches. Taken from the top of 30 Rockefeller Center. That's the Empire State Building left of center and the World Trade Center just to the right in the distance, and farther out in the harbor you can see the Statue of Liberty, if you zoom in.
l59nEWB.jpg

The Statue of Liberty from the Museum on Liberty Island.
O40AinW.jpg

The Registry Room on Ellis Island. I stood there and imagined my Grandfather and his family in 1902, arriving here from Hungary, via Antwerp Belgium. He was 3 years old. I look at my 3 year old Grandson and thank God everyday that my grandpa came to the US.
027F9lu.jpg

A few random pics.
The Christmas Tree on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, in the Medieval displays.
QKNGUvY.jpg

Ferrara's Bakery in Little Italy. We stopped there on the way to my favorite restaurant, Forlini's. No restaurant pics as they're still on the camera. Sometimes they shoot some Law and Order: SVU scenes at Forlini's. I've been going to this restaurant since 1983. Love the place, love the people.
bzmFgZw.jpg

Inside St. Patrick's Cathedral, where we lit a few candles.
AGL7qyU.jpg

Grand Central Station's Oyster Bar Restaurant and a bowl of Seafood Chowder that I make it a habit to have whenever we're in NYC. They also make the best Bloody Mary I've ever had, also on my list of must haves when here.
zBmT6Sy.jpg

v331VWk.jpg

I'll close out with a year old shot of Times Square last November. All my TS shots this year are still on my camera, waiting to get transferred.
KuYgiKm.jpg

Sorry for the long post. I figured those that may have never visited would get a kick out seeing some images. Well worth the trip if you get the chance!

I was happy to have my Coffin jack along!:)
It’s always nice to see my hometown shown in such a favorable light. We get too much unwarranted criticism. I plan on showing my new stepson the tree this year so I’ll definitely post a Merry Christmas photo.

. Eight years in the Navy and afterwords traveling extensively in various parts of the world the only place I can recall where there was any hostility directed toward me and those with me was in old Jerusalem from some Muslim kids who decided for their own reasons that we were somehow bad people.

Otherwise I have to say that people are generally good people wherever you go if you act like a good and courteous person.

I've missed you all, been gone deer hunting since last Wednesday morning, when I left for southern Illinois and the family farm. I was blessed with a nice, fat, 9-point buck this year. Got him at 18 yards with my 45 Colt Magnum Research revolver. What a blast! (pun intended!)

fmrfiHC.jpg

Way too young at 36!! R.I.P.
My condolences are heartfelt for his family!!:(

Thanks for letting us know Frank, that's really sad, Mark was a nice guy :( Terrible thing at such a young age :(

I've missed you all, been gone deer hunting since last Wednesday morning, when I left for southern Illinois and the family farm. I was blessed with a nice, fat, 9-point buck this year. Got him at 18 yards with my 45 Colt Magnum Research revolver. What a blast! (pun intended!)

fmrfiHC.jpg

Nice one Jeff, congrats!

Back