"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

For those who celebrate, I'd like to wish every one a happy and healthy thanksgiving!
I'll jump onto Jack's bandwagon to wish everyone on The Porch a safe and significant holiday! :):thumbsup::)

Thought I should drop by and say hello I thought my music life was over when I was injured and then got so sick especially now that I live in a wheelchair but come to find out there's a lot of folks wanting me for session work. So I have put the knives aside and I'm back in my element and it's changed my life around and given me purpose again. I'm currently working on two studio albums one with a singer songwriter the other with a group put together to make this CD. I also have another project coming up so life is good. In don't how long this will last but I'm going to enjoy it while it's here. I do have so many wonderful friends here I will always pop in to say hello and I'll still be coming around often to check in.
I'm so glad to hear that your music is going so well, Randy! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
The positivity illustrated by the line in your signature is a great lesson for me, and I'm thankful for that!

Mail Call
From Down Under to Waynorth and Places In Between
What a huge surprise I got! A Waynorth Cutlery cap and a Case-Bose 2011 Coffin Jack arrived in my mailbox. I'm totally blown away by the thoughtfulness and generosity of these wonderful people. I don't see how I deserve such a gift, but I am thankful for it.
pFmXP7U.jpg

The skulduggery extended out to the pacific coast. Like Gary, you could have knocked me over with a feather.
In my case, it was an Al Mar knife with gold micarta handles and ATS-34 blade steel. ... The design and the execution are immaculate.
YLamMiJ.jpg

I don't deserve it, but I will treasure it, both for the gorgeousness of the knife and the high generosity of those who sent it. My thanks to you.
Congrats on the great knives, Gary & Frank! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
For all the usually thankless, and often unpleasant, tasks you do here, I think you two definitely deserve those tokens of appreciation!

Plaudits to the posse of Porch people who planned and put into practice this pair of prestigious presents! :):thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

If there were a Madeline Kahn knife, it would have be quick and sharp and brightly flashing.
Inexplicably, I was challenged to distinguish between Madeline Kahn and Bernadette Peters back in the day! :eek::rolleyes:

My wife and I spent 5 days in NYC last week. It's something we try to do every November, just before the Christmas season really starts. ...

Sorry for the long post. I figured those that may have never visited would get a kick out seeing some images. Well worth the trip if you get the chance!

I was happy to have my Coffin jack along!:)
Thanks for the fascinating "travelogue", Gary! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
I visited college friends in New Jersey in December 1972 who took me to NYC for a day. This farm kid was pretty overwhelmed by the experience! :eek:

. Eight years in the Navy and afterwords traveling extensively in various parts of the world the only place I can recall where there was any hostility directed toward me and those with me was in old Jerusalem from some Muslim kids who decided for their own reasons that we were somehow bad people.

Otherwise I have to say that people are generally good people wherever you go if you act like a good and courteous person.
I tend to agree with you, @Mayonardo, but I wonder if middle and high schools are exceptions. Sometimes seems to be a lot of unwarranted cruelty among groups of kids. :(

I've missed you all, been gone deer hunting since last Wednesday morning, when I left for southern Illinois and the family farm. I was blessed with a nice, fat, 9-point buck this year. Got him at 18 yards with my 45 Colt Magnum Research revolver. What a blast! (pun intended!)

fmrfiHC.jpg
Congrats on getting your buck, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Thankful to see you out there hunting after your surgery earlier this year! :):cool:

Ladies and Gents, we've lost a member.
Mark did most of his posting here in Traditional.
There's a thread in Community...
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/rip-zolthar-mark.1697143/#post-19401994
Such sad news, Frank. Sincere sympathy to Mark's family and friends.
Mark and I corresponded a fair amount, with me telling him about the positive influence of Dutch immigrants in my area. But I never knew he was ill, or that he had little kids. He sent me this thoughtful and generous "care package" of Dutch treats early this year:
zolthar.1419.jpg

- GT

I am spending a relaxing Thanksgiving day at home with my wife and our cats. I have so very much to be thankful for, it often overwhelms me how many blessings I truly have. It is so easy to focus on the few things not going right at any moment, and to forget to celebrate all of the wonderful things we too often take for granted.

It is apparently human nature to focus much more on negative things than on equivalent positive things. How many times do you groan about being caught by a red light? Do you celebrate each green light equally as much as you complain about the one red one? I actually try to make this a habit as I go along, when I am thinking about it, to actually say out loud, "Woo hoo, green light!" as I am driving along to work in the morning. :)

So as you go about your day today, think of all of the green lights in your life, and make sure to celebrate them. It makes like so much better to focus on all of the really good things going on, even if you have a lot of red lights to deal with, too.

How many times do you groan about being caught by a red light? Do you celebrate each green light equally as much as you complain about the one red one? I actually try to make this a habit as I go along, when I am thinking about it, to actually say out loud, "Woo hoo, green light!" as I am driving along to work in the morning.

John, I can’t do it!! It would ruin my reputation with my co-workers when I’m the drivero_Oo_Oo_O

It is apparently human nature to focus much more on negative things than on equivalent positive things. How many times do you groan about being caught by a red light? Do you celebrate each green light equally as much as you complain about the one red one? I actually try to make this a habit as I go along, when I am thinking about it, to actually say out loud, "Woo hoo, green light!" as I am driving along to work in the morning. :)

So as you go about your day today, think of all of the green lights in your life, and make sure to celebrate them. It makes like so much better to focus on all of the really good things going on, even if you have a lot of red lights to deal with, too.

Really? I thought it was just a Yorkshire thing! :eek: :confused: :D :thumbsup:

Wishing all my US friends a very Happy Thanksgiving :) :thumbsup:

I guess Thanksgiving Day is a US holiday, but it really should be a world holiday where we appreciate what we have.... family, friends, our health, enough food and toys and let's not forget a bit of booze.

That'd be great, I know that Canada has a Thanksgiving Day, and it seems the rest of us are missing out! :D When I was a kid, the Harvest Festival was still celebrated, but it seems to have all but disappeared here now :(

I’ll drink to that.

Me too ;) Hence I'm slightly worse for wear today! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

That'd be great, I know that Canada has a Thanksgiving Day, and it seems the rest of us are missing out! :D When I was a kid, the Harvest Festival was still celebrated, but it seems to have all but disappeared here now :(

Me too ;) Hence I'm slightly worse for wear today! :eek: :D :thumbsup:
Canada Thanksgiving Day is the second or third Monday in October and I believe about the time as the Harvest Moon.

Had a fantastic "camping" trip in the rain. Took our 5th wheel for another sweet trip. Maybe a new Thanksgiving tradition. Definitely something different!!! Lots of fishing, good food and drinks. My parents camped with their RV as well.

My view for the week.
i518ZQ4.jpg

The family checking out the lake. My son was climbing the oak tree on the right. Our old lady dog watches.
gMbNEgl.jpg

Carried a handful of different knives but this was the sweetest combo. The H30 got a ton of use!!
zHX0EVV.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, hopefully you got to spend some time with family and friends!!!

Had a fantastic "camping" trip in the rain. Took our 5th wheel for another sweet trip. Maybe a new Thanksgiving tradition. Definitely something different!!! Lots of fishing, good food and drinks. My parents camped with their RV as well.

My view for the week.
i518ZQ4.jpg

The family checking out the lake. My son was climbing the oak tree on the right. Our old lady dog watches.
gMbNEgl.jpg

Carried a handful of different knives but this was the sweetest combo. The H30 got a ton of use!!
zHX0EVV.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, hopefully you got to spend some time with family and friends!!!
Looks like a lot of fun. Which lake is that?

Hey guys!

A Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Just wanted to chime in here for a short Hello.

It was absolutely not my year. My health got very bad and I had two severe operations at my intestine. Luckily no cancer, but still heavy enough to limit me down in a hard way. I lost about 35 pounds (17 kilogram) of weight during the shortest time.

So far from my side... keep your blades sharp and free from pitting ;)

[
Hey guys!

A Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Just wanted to chime in here for a short Hello.

It was absolutely not my year. My health got very bad and I had two severe operations at my intestine. Luckily no cancer, but still heavy enough to limit me down in a hard way. I lost about 35 pounds (17 kilogram) of weight during the shortest time.

Bad news. Hope you recover quickly enough to enjoy the end of year's meals. :)

Now what the heck happened to my q
Hey guys!

uote?

Strange^.
Humppa Humppa , good to see you. I hope you heal up quickly and have better times ahead.

Back