"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

We dont have Thanksgiving burt Im sure our rulers could fit yet another public holiday weekend into that already bursting at the seams calender of events...
Anyway heres a nugget of comedic gold i penned years ago

Where does meako go for a beer at xmas?
Bar Humbug!
I guess Thanksgiving Day is a US holiday, but it really should be a world holiday where we appreciate what we have.... family, friends, our health, enough food and toys and let's not forget a bit of booze.

Humppa Humppa Servus Andi! I think stress is causing you these problems not surprisingly. As for pitting blades, some of us have been enthralled by stainless ;):D I send Power from Will:) Try to have a relaxing Christmas with your family, friends and knives :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hey guys!

A Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Just wanted to chime in here for a short Hello.

It was absolutely not my year. My health got very bad and I had two severe operations at my intestine. Luckily no cancer, but still heavy enough to limit me down in a hard way. I lost about 35 pounds (17 kilogram) of weight during the shortest time.

So far from my side... keep your blades sharp and free from pitting ;)
I hope the New Year is a much better one, Andi. Best wishes to you and your family.

Hey guys!

A Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Just wanted to chime in here for a short Hello.

It was absolutely not my year. My health got very bad and I had two severe operations at my intestine. Luckily no cancer, but still heavy enough to limit me down in a hard way. I lost about 35 pounds (17 kilogram) of weight during the shortest time.

Humppa Humppa - Andi, sorry to hear that. Heal up well and I hope to see you posting regularly again.

Hey guys!

I hope it's all good from here Andi!! Sorry about your bad luck. I know how tough bad health can be!! Keep your spirits up!!

Thanks for the kind wishes, fellas :)

I try to keep my posting rate frequently now - not just one post in half a year... ;)
Always good to see your post Humppa. Hope your troubles are in the past and you are feeling better now. Certainly next year will be much better. Do drop in, when you can, you have friends here.

Hey guys!

Be well Andi, I deal with gut issues also, they can seriously sideline you. Hope your better know. Nice to see you post here again:thumbsup:

Yesterday was the St Eloi (St Eligius) the patron saint of blacksmiths and cutlers (and a few others as well). An opportunity to kill a pig and have black pudding, like our friends in La Monnerie and have a meal together. :)
20191211.jpg

Eloi is famous for having been a counsellor of king Dagobert, who was said to be distracted (in fact he was very short sighted and used to fall because he did not see the obstacles). Children use to sing their adventures.
Good King Dagobert
Has put his culottes on backwards;
Great Saint Éloi
Says to him: O, my king!
Your majesty
Is not dressed properly.
That's true, says the King,
I'm going to redo it so that it's correct.

Personally I celebrated with a humble pâté on a corner of the counter. :D
15A2_pate-cornichons.jpg

In Christian Science terms, my gatekeeper has failed to ward off some people's aggressive mental suggestions, and now I too have sciatica.
I'm going to cancel that physical therapy evaluation, though. Stretching my own back should be something I can still do for myself.
VqoZJKw.jpg

In Christian Science terms, my gatekeeper has failed to ward off some people's aggressive mental suggestions, and now I too have sciatica.
I'm going to cancel that physical therapy evaluation, though. Stretching my own back should be something I can still do for myself.
VqoZJKw.jpg
I hope you're better at that than I am.. Started early september, still tickling me! :(:mad:

I hope you're better at that than I am.. Started early september, still tickling me! :(:mad:
waynorth waynorth , I lost your quote, but
Thank you both.
I've only had that one unequivocal jolt down the leg, but I'll probably keep the PT appointment anyway, because I don't want to provoke my doctor. I've described her as a gentle and courteous bulldog. She's also steel-cored and adamant-clad.

Fencing ought to be good for opening up the lower back. Sword footwork that is, not white picket.
Y8dfjlI.jpg

The patina on this foil reminds me of the Conyers falchion:

"At Sockburn, where Conyers so trusty
A mighty wurrum did dish up,
That else had eat up the bishop,
And now his old falchion's grown rusty, grown rusty."

Last edited:
Back