"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

And a soup spoon/pencil sharpener.
flashlight and bookmark
All on a single spring!!!:D
I was going to add surgical clamp/roach clip.....but decided not to:thumbsup::)......the question still remains over the mysterious 4th blade....cue theme from Ironside and cut to close up of meako pensively raising eyebrows and then lowering them with knowing nod...as if arriving at hitherto unknown fact.

I was going to add surgical clamp/roach clip.....but decided not to:thumbsup::)......the question still remains over the mysterious 4th blade....cue theme from Ironside and cut to close up of meako pensively raising eyebrows and then lowering them with knowing nod...as if arriving at hitherto unknown fact.
I'll bet the 4th blade will actually be a set of maybe a half-dozen "changeable" blades, any one of which can be attached to the handle to match your mood!! :thumbsup::):thumbsup::cool:

- GT

My wife and I spent 5 days in NYC last week. It's something we try to do every November, just before the Christmas season really starts. This year we met some friends that live in Maine. An old Air Force buddy of mine and his wife. He was my best man, I was his. We're Godparents to each other's children. Long time friendship...40+ years. It was his 70th birthday and he just retired. We always stay right near Times Square.
Anyway, it was his first time in NYC since he was 14 years old. We did a whirlwind tour of things we loved and things they wanted to see. In the 5 days we managed to walk 27 miles and we threw more 20 dollar bills at cab drivers then we care to count.
Here's some pics from my smartphone. I also had a camera with me but I still need to export the pics to my PC.
I had my new precious, my 2011 Case-Bose Coffin Jack with me. It did spend some time in the hotel room, as many places we visited required security screening. Here's a pic from my breakfast this morning, just in case anyone hasn't seen my gift from Charlie, Paul, Mike, Duncan, Neal and Dave. Thanks again guys!
jbT023B.jpg

We visited the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier Museum. It was my first time on a Carrier, holy cow what a ship! My Uncle served on one during WWII. We also took a tour of the submarine Growler which was part of the museum. Here's a pic of the periscope view taken on my smartphone. Pretty cool.
2teR6G2.jpg

0T4Eh5J.jpg

One of a ball turret. I thought of the "The Death of the Ball Turret Gunner" poem by Randall Jarrell, which Mayonardo Mayonardo reminded us of on Veteran's Day.
w3abmFD.jpg

otWsZCg.jpg

Inside the Intrepid they had many planes on display. Vets get in free too! Nice!
Os1shcp.jpg

The Christmas Tree in Rockefeller Center, not trimmed yet but in place and ready.
TKqombg.jpg

The ice skating rink at Rockefeller Center getting some Zamboni love before the evening skating.
AbRqS3R.jpg

NYC skyline as dusk approaches. Taken from the top of 30 Rockefeller Center. That's the Empire State Building left of center and the World Trade Center just to the right in the distance, and farther out in the harbor you can see the Statue of Liberty, if you zoom in.
l59nEWB.jpg

The Statue of Liberty from the Museum on Liberty Island.
O40AinW.jpg

The Registry Room on Ellis Island. I stood there and imagined my Grandfather and his family in 1902, arriving here from Hungary, via Antwerp Belgium. He was 3 years old. I look at my 3 year old Grandson and thank God everyday that my grandpa came to the US.
027F9lu.jpg

A few random pics.
The Christmas Tree on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, in the Medieval displays.
QKNGUvY.jpg

Ferrara's Bakery in Little Italy. We stopped there on the way to my favorite restaurant, Forlini's. No restaurant pics as they're still on the camera. Sometimes they shoot some Law and Order: SVU scenes at Forlini's. I've been going to this restaurant since 1983. Love the place, love the people.
bzmFgZw.jpg

Inside St. Patrick's Cathedral, where we lit a few candles.
AGL7qyU.jpg

Grand Central Station's Oyster Bar Restaurant and a bowl of Seafood Chowder that I make it a habit to have whenever we're in NYC. They also make the best Bloody Mary I've ever had, also on my list of must haves when here.
zBmT6Sy.jpg

v331VWk.jpg

I'll close out with a year old shot of Times Square last November. All my TS shots this year are still on my camera, waiting to get transferred.
KuYgiKm.jpg

Sorry for the long post. I figured those that may have never visited would get a kick out seeing some images. Well worth the trip if you get the chance!

I was happy to have my Coffin jack along!:)
What a Great Post Gary !!!!:):):):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Enjoyed it very much .

Harry

Hey folks, just a reminder: The Traditional Knife Exchange Forum operates under the same rules as the rest of the BF exchanges.
https://www.bladeforums.com/help/exchange-rules/

Rules for buyers. Rule #5
Do not post in a person's thread unless you have an implicit interest in buying the item. Posts like, "Nice knife!", "Why is the price so high/low?", "I wish I had funds" are not allowed. This means absolutely no commentary or feedback in someone's sales thread.​

We've had complaints.

Hey folks, just a reminder: The Traditional Knife Exchange Forum operates under the same rules as the rest of the BF exchanges.

Do not post in a person's thread unless you have an implicit interest in buying the item. Posts like, "Nice knife!", "Why is the price so high/low?", "I wish I had funds" are not allowed. This means absolutely no commentary or feedback in someone's sales thread.​

We've had complaints.
I'm guilty of that one Frank, I just commented on a knife a seller had up that he did a modification to, just like the mod he did to my knife.
I was just so impressed that my excitement got the best of me:)
So much so that I came back to his thread and bought it:D
My intent was not to offend anyone by commenting.

We've had complaints.

I'm guilty of that one Frank, I just commented on a knife a seller had up that he did a modification to, just like the mod he did to my knife.
I was just so impressed that my excitement got the best of me:)
So much so that I came back to his thread and bought it:D
My intent was not to offend anyone by commenting.
No, that was me. I had read the rules but got caught up in the discussion. I will try to be more aware.

No, that was me. I had read the rules but got caught up in the discussion. I will try to be more aware.
It was both of us then, as I got a notice of post removed. Again, I just got caught up in the excitement, knife buying does that to me:D

Hello friends. Lan here. I have been remiss in keeping contact with our friends here. Paul Hilborn has been diligent to keep in contact often. Especially during football season. Love you Paul. I meant to check in on the two year anniversary of Dad's passing (Nov 5th), but as such, life sometimes gets in the way. Not a day goes by without a thought of Dad and some of our best memories. We again had a place set for him at the Thanksgiving table. We still talk of the love and generosity of unknown countless friends of Dad's here. Bo is doing very well at Northeastern University. He has grown into a kind and strong man like his Pa.
I hope everyone is well and you're all able to cherish the comfort and love of family and friends this holiday season. We just stopped in to see Mom so I decided to check in while we're here.
I heard Duncan had some rough scare and so glad you're doing better Duncan.
Just wanted to say hello and that we are doing well and we still think of you all and love you. Peace my friends.

Hello friends. Lan here. I have been remiss in keeping contact with our friends here. Paul Hilborn has been diligent to keep in contact often. Especially during football season. Love you Paul. I meant to check in on the two year anniversary of Dad's passing (Nov 5th), but as such, life sometimes gets in the way. Not a day goes by without a thought of Dad and some of our best memories. We again had a place set for him at the Thanksgiving table. We still talk of the love and generosity of unknown countless friends of Dad's here. Bo is doing very well at Northeastern University. He has grown into a kind and strong man like his Pa.
I hope everyone is well and you're all able to cherish the comfort and love of family and friends this holiday season. We just stopped in to see Mom so I decided to check in while we're here.
I heard Duncan had some rough scare and so glad you're doing better Duncan.
Just wanted to say hello and that we are doing well and we still think of you all and love you. Peace my friends.
It’s great to hear from you Lan! I’m glad things are going well for you guys. It doesn’t seem like it’s been over two years since Bobs passing. I think of him just about every time I get on the forum. I miss his knowledge and being able to talk and discuss things with him. I’m sure he’s proud of Bo. Blessings to you all.

Ron

It’s great to hear from you Lan! I’m glad things are going well for you guys. It doesn’t seem like it’s been over two years since Bobs passing. I think of him just about every time I get on the forum. I miss his knowledge and being able to talk and discuss things with him. I’m sure he’s proud of Bo. Blessings to you all.

Ron
Thank you Ron. It's so good to hear from you.

Back