"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Started a patina on my Opinel cutting some pork tenderloin at the meeting:

IMO that picture of the Opinal with the dog in the background in front of the fireplace is one of those pictures that just draw you in. IMO one of the coolest pictures I've saw in quite sometime thanks for sharing.

I wanted to drop by and say howdy to all my wonderful friends here. I hope everyone is well and that 2020 will be a fantastic year for all. I'm still caught up in my music passion and have been buying a lot of gear. When I first got back involved I had 1 each of an electric, an acoustic and a bass guitar. I now own 1 bass, 2 acoustics and 8 electrics not to mention a Stewart-McDonald Telecaster style guitar kit that as time permits will allow me to build one of my own. I've also bought a lot of guitar related gadgets and specialized luthier tools as I'm now repairing and doing setups for not just mine but also for other folks guitars to make a little extra money. I've decided to sell 100 or so of my knives to recoup some money I've spent. Among these knives is a GEC 863119 the 2019 Forum knife. I'm going to list some of these on the exchange tonight so if anyone of our tight knit little group feels like messaging me please do so. :p:rolleyes:

Last edited:
IMO that picture of the Opinal with the dog in the background in front of the fireplace is one of those pictures that just draw you in. IMO one of the coolest pictures I've saw in quite sometime thanks for sharing.

I wanted to drop by and say howdy to all my wonderful friends here. I hope everyone is well and that 2020 will be a fantastic year for all. I'm still caught up in my music passion and have been buying a lot of gear. When I first got back involved I had 1 each of an electric, an acoustic and a bass guitar. I now own 1 bass, 2 acoustics and 8 electrics not to mention a Stewart-McDonald Telecaster style guitar kit that as time permits will allow me to build one of my own. I've also bought a lot of guitar related gadgets and specialized luthier tools as I'm now repairing and doing setups for not just mine but also for other folks guitars to make a little extra money. I've decided to sell 100 or so of my knives to recoup some money I've spent. Among these knives is a GEC 863119 the 2019 Forum knife. I'm going to list some of these on the exchange tonight so if anyone of our tight knit little group feels like messaging me please do so. :p:rolleyes:
Thanks, Randy. Good to see you here--you have been missed. Glad to hear you've been enjoying one of your other passions. Wishing you best.

Well, I'm on a lucky series, monday was Charlie's Black Jack, today came Neal's book on Böker, a brand of which I ignored a lot, especially the US Tree Brand branch .
Lots of pictures (to those smirking, I also read the text! :D) and clearly not aimed only at those interested in Böker things.
A great thanks to Neal for his kindness and congrats for the work put in the book. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Who said the porch is a great place? ;)

Boker.jpg

Just wondering here, has anyone heard from Stuart, AKA @Duckdog ? Back in December he was off for another hunt. Usually he’s gone a few days. Hoping his absence is due to great success and enjoyment of being in the woods.
I have not and wondered the same thing. Another is Dave DC50???

Reactions: 315
An Traditional (allegedly) Wholesome British Recipe: Fit for Pope, King, Queen, (and their kids), Prime Ministers, Presidents ...

I don't know what market has all the ingredients.

Some say using the same cuts of meat from an sheep or goat is better than pork.

Enjoy :D

(Quote) "The knife is man's oldest tool …" (end quote)

Thinking about it, I don't believe this is true.

The knife may well be one of man's oldest tools.
Perhaps mankind's second or third tool. (the spear may be his second.)

However, I believe man's first tool was either a tree or an stick, to scratch his (itchy) back where he (or she) could not reach,
when there was no one around to scratch it for him (or her).

What say you?

You're both right and wrong. From what I remember from my college anthropology classes, the knife is the first (and by implication oldest) tool made by Man. Other tools were used of course, perhaps a heavy rock to break an ancient bison's tibia so as to get to the rich marrow inside. One only has to watch a chimpanzee use a stick to acquire lunch from an anthill to imagine Homo Habilis doing something similar. But the knife was the first time Man purposefully created a tool to accomplish a specific task.

My primary care physician would undoubtedly call it a "suicide pact". :rolleyes::eek:

- GT

70-year-old Man: "Doc, how can I make sure that I live another 30 years?"
Doc: "Tell me about your habits."
Man: "I don't drink, I don't smoke. I've never done drugs. I don't gamble. I make sure to stick to my diet. I've cut out sugar, try not to use too much salt, eat mostly vegetables, and only treat myself to red meat once a week. I exercise every day and make sure I'm in bed every evening by seven so as to get a full night's rest."
Doc: "How's your romantic life?"
Man: "What romantic life? I'm a widower Doc, and I'm too old to chase women."
Doc: "So let me make sure I've got this right. You don't drink, you don't smoke, and you hardly eat. You don't even enjoy the company of women. Hmm...why do you want to live another 30 years again?"

Last edited:
Im thinking shaped throwing sticks , chipped stone hand axes came before knives....it slso deoends on location and material availability....eg ...there is bugger all flint in Australia but there are some very hard woods...spears woomeras, boomerangs.....

Im thinking shaped throwing sticks , chipped stone hand axes came before knives....it slso deoends on location and material availability....eg ...there is bugger all flint in Australia but there are some very hard woods...spears woomeras, boomerangs.....

I do think an handle is more useful, logically, on an axe than on a knife. I know that an axe, when you have to face this terrible thing the nature is, is much more useful than a knife. Could have the humankind survived without that logic? Well, all that said, I've never found the entry of the college... As a side note, by experience, the boomerang is more dangerous for the guy who throws it than for the game.

Dan.

As far as I know there is no evidence for early wooden tools made by hominins. Not surprisingly. Earliest dates for stone tools — Oldowan Assemblage — are associated with sharp flakes and batterstones (which were often taken for hand axes. True hand “axes” appear much later.)

True tool making requires that enough cerebral processing power and manual dexterity exists so that an implement useable in a future time can be conceived then made.
Blades came first, then handles.

Back