"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I'm no vodka drinker at all, despite it being a national drink-or rather Kossu which is a rawer cruder variant, barf! There are some dire flavoured vodkas too, minttu-vodka (mint flavour like mouthwash:eek:) and salmiaki-kossu a revolting salt liquorice thing :poop: But tastes vary fortunately. A very beautiful visitor of mine ;) is a keen drinker of vodka she likes Rycckiy Standart a lot but Stolichnaja and Swedish Absolut get approval too. She prefers it with lemon juice and tonic. When we have Martinis (when you CAN get French Noilly or Dolin from the Alko which is now never :() hers is vodka, mine gin-she hates the latter but I do like a G&T or Gin & Bitter Lemon:thumbsup:

Feel like a drink already:D

Henry, the vodka is Svedka from Sweden. It's what Costco carries at a very good price, and since I don't drink it straight, it works fine for mixers. My toddy of late has been American rye whiskey mixed with lemon and/or lime juice, manuka honey, and a little ginger ale over ice. Soda pop for grown ups!

Sometimes I think I should stop being a serial-collector... :eek:
View attachment 1314130
I don’t know about that - you need to have a thermometer handy these days. I ran out and bought one at Walgreens the other day - care to guess where it was manufactured? (I do prefer the old-style ones.)
gkgaslT.jpg

I don’t know about that - you need to have a thermometer handy these days. I ran out and bought one at Walgreens the other day - care to guess where it was manufactured? (I do prefer the old-style ones.)
gkgaslT.jpg
Yep, glass with the red mercury. :thumbsup:
Can't hear the beeps with these new ones (that need a battery!) unless I have my hearing aids on.

Yep, glass with the red mercury. :thumbsup:
Can't hear the beeps with these new ones (that need a battery!) unless I have my hearing aids on.

Hearing-aid? Come on, this is TRADITIONAL, you need an EAR TRUMPET (Hearing-Horn?) :D Probably people collect them too...;)

As for red mercury, no go for real QUICKSILVER, but don't bite on that one too hard or your troubles really will be over ;):D:eek:

:D:D Where? That looks like a portable spittoon too:eek:

One good thing about this Corvid 19th Nervous Breakdown, at least here, is that the revolting habit of people (some women too) spitting out phlegm in the street or emptying their nostrils has become (at last!) taboo :thumbsup:

^ Will Power Will Power , I had a boss do that once walking through the shop while were eating lunch.
It was a boat shop with lots of dust and an old wooden floor but what the hell :eek:

I was well into my 20s and had never seen anyone do that (have since in some 3rd world countries) but never in Maine and I certainly never expected that from BOSS - at lunch time no less. :mad: I read him the riot act and swore a vile blue streak equal to his grossness. Stunned the room :rolleyes: - yelling at a boss was not common ;) - but he apologized and moved on without repercussions to me. :confused:

Yikes! :)

^ Will Power Will Power , I had a boss do that once walking through the shop while were eating lunch.
It was a boat shop with lots of dust and an old wooden floor but what the hell :eek:

I was well into my 20s and had never seen anyone do that (have since in some 3rd world countries) but never in Maine and I certainly never expected that from BOSS - at lunch time no less. :mad: I read him the riot act and swore a vile blue streak equal to his grossness. Stunned the room :rolleyes: - yelling at a boss was not common ;) - but he apologized and moved on without repercussions to me. :confused:

Yikes! :)

Well at least your boss had a sense of decency and proportion :thumbsup: Some small-minded petty führer types could turn nasty&vindicitive in a situation like that:eek: I've always found spitting disgusting:poop:

Mind you, chewing tobacco (rare nowadays) was traditional, needed a knife to cut a plug & I'm certain a lot of spitting surrounded that :D

Hearing-aid? Come on, this is TRADITIONAL, you need an EAR TRUMPET (Hearing-Horn?) :D Probably people collect them too...;)

As for red mercury, no go for real QUICKSILVER, but don't bite on that one too hard or your troubles really will be over ;):D:eek:
A man goes to the hospital to see his first newborn child. The nurse welcomes him and takes him to the room, on the way, she warns the guy :
- You must be strong, because, hmm, how can I say, your baby is not quite like the others.
- No problem answers the man, he 's my first child, I'll love him whatever his trouble.
- That 's great, because in fact, he will not walk.
- I can cope with that, I love him so much
- You're a great heart I see, and that's fine, because he will not eat by himself.
The man does not care, he's so happy to have a child!
They reach the room where the baby sleeps. The man leans over the cradle and sees that there is just a huge, an enormous ear.
He starts crying, whispers "My son! My beloved son!"
Before she leaves the room, the nurse taps on his shoulder : "Please talk louder, he's deaf!"

gkgaslT.jpg
I like the new ones you just hold against your skin for a few seconds. OK, maybe half a minute.
No, more like a quarter of a minute.
I'm so cold, I'm so co-o-old:
A5UJbO5.jpg

Last edited:
I like the new ones you just hold against your skin for a few seconds. OK, maybe half a minute.
No, more like a quarter of a minute.
I'm so cold, I'm so co-o-old:
A5UJbO5.jpg
97.3*F.... just curious do you generally have fairly low blood pressure? I get readings like that too normally and almost always below 98*F unless I'm sick.

97.3*F.... just curious do you generally have fairly low blood pressure? I get readings like that too normally and almost always below 98*F unless I'm sick.
Temperature, yes, I usually run a little cool. BP I don't take at home, because I freak out and raise it. My doctor seems content with it. We should live longer, with lower body temperature.

Back