"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I'd forgotten just how well a six inch Crescent type adjustable wrench works as a tack hammer.

FYI: "Not worth a daRn."

Sure am glad someone found (or returned, as the case may be) the facility's hammer, so I only had to use the makeshift hammer to put just one heel plate on, and not all four. (2 pair of boots).

Anybody else get weirdly reflective on their birthday? I swear the standard rules of temporality get thrown out the window on such days. The past rushes forward, neither caring nor halting for the crumpled barrier of the present, stirring up nostalgia like silt. It's remarkable.

Lemme tell you, the older you get the more reflective I've found myself getting on birthdays. It goes hand in hand with some depression and too much Evan Williams. Sometimes looking back on it all, it just seems like its passed way to fast. Things 25 years ago seem like just last week.

The big one for me was turning 70. Lots of real questions going though whats left of the rest of my mind. Getting close to 80 seems like its time for something reckless and drastic, like staying drunk in Key West for a month or so to reflect in depth that sobriety inhibits.

I don't know about the past rushing forward, but the future is on a collision course with the now!

"The Paths Of Glory Lead but to the Grave" Sobering but not depressing, as expressed in Thomas Grey's c18th poem, Elegy Written in an English Country Churchyard. It sets the context of a man's life however great or small, for me it acknowledges the importance of intentions for what a man thinks is where his heart resides. Not public pieties, insincerities or cunning, mouthing what could be a current popular belief or fashion (virtue signalling) but what a person thinks is what he is.

Should a man live 20 or 120 years it's a speck of dust in the Cosmos. But should you live long, you are very lucky to keep your mental and physical vigour, few of us do, one or the other engulf you and it's most hard for those close to you. But, human spirit, humour, creativity and that vital quality altruism make it worthwhile, it matters not which culture you were born into (random) or which beliefs you adhere to.

You know J jackknife that figure Evan Williams can be pretty congenial when kept on a tightish leash :cool::D:thumbsup:

Lemme tell you, the older you get the more reflective I've found myself getting on birthdays. It goes hand in hand with some depression and too much Evan Williams. Sometimes looking back on it all, it just seems like its passed way to fast. Things 25 years ago seem like just last week.

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.”
― Terry Pratchett

I wish I could say that I'm of a sufficiently advanced age to warrant such introspection but having been born in '98 I'm afraid it was merely self-indulgent. Nice to receive the assurance that I'm not solitary in such a practice though.

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.”.
― Terry Pratchett

I just got home last night from spending a few days with my daughter and her family. She has 2 girls 14 and 9 they are my youngest grandchildren and I found myself wondering what happened. Sometimes I wish my life had turned out better but really I've had a good life and most the time I think of the past and get a big smile on my face. I never had a lot but always had a little more than I needed I had 55 years of great health not so much now but 55 years is much longer than some folks live. I'm in my mid 60's and never been in jail, never had to declare bankruptcy, never had anything repossessed, I have a great family and on and on. So what happened for me was a great life for which I thank my maker.
Now for the main reason we come here...........KNIVES!!!

fNiqzjm.jpg

I just got home last night from spending a few days with my daughter and her family. She has 2 girls 14 and 9 they are my youngest grandchildren and I found myself wondering what happened. Sometimes I wish my life had turned out better but really I've had a good life and most the time I think of the past and get a big smile on my face. I never had a lot but always had a little more than I needed I had 55 years of great health not so much now but 55 years is much longer than some folks live. I'm in my mid 60's and never been in jail, never had to declare bankruptcy, never had anything repossessed, I have a great family and on and on. So what happened for me was a great life for which I thank my maker.

fNiqzjm.jpg
You have a good attitude, a great life and an impressive collection Randy. :) Thanks for sharing!

I've had several members contact me about making them a pocket slip or sheath.
I want to make it clear that I am just doing this as a hobby right now, no current plans to sell stuff.
I do want to re-open the business in the future after I get more practice and become more proficient.
When that happens, I will purchase a Craftsman Subscription and let everybody know I'm open for orders.

fNiqzjm.jpg

You maintain a very positive attitude Randy, good for you my friend :) You're going to have to tidy up though mate, your table is worse than mine! :D ;) :thumbsup:

I want to make it clear that I am just doing this as a hobby right now, no current plans to sell stuff.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fNiqzjm.jpg
Good attitude and perspective, my friend.
And impressive array of knives! :thumbsup:

fNiqzjm.jpg

Randy, I always appreciate your positivity, buddy! :thumbsup: Good lookin’ table of knives you got there, too! :cool:

I do want to re-open the business in the future after I get more practice and become more proficient.
When that happens, I will purchase a Craftsman Subscription and let everybody know I'm open for orders.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great looking oak leaf and acorn slip! :thumbsup:

I probably have few remaining birthdays, but enjoying each day as it comes. Especially bright days are when I find something written by jacknife in Bladeforums. I hope it isn't soon, but I bet Carl's dad and Mr. Van will be there to greet him.

They say you see a bright light at the end of a tunnel.

With my luck it will be Mr. Van with the old chrome Ever Ready Captain he'd shine in our faces on campouts, yelling "Come on, get out of those sleeping bags! What do I have here, a bunch of snails? It'll be daylight in an hour!"
:eek:

Anybody else get weirdly reflective on their birthday? I swear the standard rules of temporality get thrown out the window on such days. The past rushes forward, neither caring nor halting for the crumpled barrier of the present, stirring up nostalgia like silt. It's remarkable.
I have not worried about " Temporality " for over 70 years . I went to my first Funeral and the Preacher said that " We are But Dust " .

Harry

FetZk1a.jpg

I must have been around 14 when the preacher at an Easter service (all about new life, right?) said, "This year [so many] of our members have died. Next year more will die. In a few years many of us will be dead, and in a hundred years we'll all be dead". Mom said she could feel my reaction from the choir. "Like h[ades] I will! I'll be here crowing over the ruins on Easter 2071!" Not that I said it out loud; we weren't that participatory a congregation.
I'm not sure of the year. I'll aim for 2076, just to be safe, and make it a tricentennial centennial crowing over ruins.
Better get back to work losing that 60 lbs avoirdupois.

Last edited:
This thread is my favorite place on BF because here is where we get to know each other and real friendships are made. We share the things we are doing in our lives, family pictures and events, places we go and have been and we asre there for each other when the chips are down. I remember when our friend Bob Bendle (Bigbiscuit) was not only in trouble with the cancer that had attacked his body but his SSI had not kicked in and he was in trouble financially as well as his health. It was about a month before Christmas he and I were talking when he confided in me that he wasn't sure if he could hold out until the SSI came through. This forum family responded and raised over $3000 for Bob and his family I recounted this story as an example of how great this place is because of the people here. I don't think anyone knows how many GAW's or just gifts of knives have occurred here.

I left for a around 2 years because of major changes in my life and I wanted to leave everything behind I considered my old life. An opportunity arose for me to be a musician again and I went at it with my all and loved playing again. However I now have realized that even though music is a major part of my life the people of this forum are also. I still love knives and have over 100 of them but it's this group of people that has been the real draw for me to this place and the knives are secondary. I'm back and happy to be here and really glad that you guys are still the same kind of folks you've always been.

Back