"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

This thread is my favorite place on BF because here is where we get to know each other and real friendships are made. We share the things we are doing in our lives, family pictures and events, places we go and have been and we asre there for each other when the chips are down. I remember when our friend Bob Bendle (Bigbiscuit) was not only in trouble with the cancer that had attacked his body but his SSI had not kicked in and he was in trouble financially as well as his health. It was about a month before Christmas he and I were talking when he confided in me that he wasn't sure if he could hold out until the SSI came through. This forum family responded and raised over $3000 for Bob and his family I recounted this story as an example of how great this place is because of the people here. I don't think anyone knows how many GAW's or just gifts of knives have occurred here.

I left for a around 2 years because of major changes in my life and I wanted to leave everything behind I considered my old life. An opportunity arose for me to be a musician again and I went at it with my all and loved playing again. However I now have realized that even though music is a major part of my life the people of this forum are also. I still love knives and have over 100 of them but it's this group of people that has been the real draw for me to this place and the knives are secondary. I'm back and happy to be here and really glad that you guys are still the same kind of folks you've always been.
Well said, Randy, and I will echo those sentiments. I don't participate in any other kind of "social media". I did try Linked-In and Twitter briefly, but didn't like them. Joined a gun forum, but got bored quickly. This is a special place, my friend.

Last edited:
it's this group of people that has been the real draw for me to this place and the knives are secondary. I'm back and happy to be here and really glad that you guys are still the same kind of folks you've always been.

Well said, Randy, and I will echo those sentiments. I don't participate in any other kind of "social media". I did try Linked-In and Twitter briefly, but didn't like them. Joined a gun forum, buy got bored quickly. This is a special place, my friend.

Same here. This is a special place for me too.
Like Vince, my only social media outlet. :cool::thumbsup:

This thread is my favorite place on BF because here is where we get to know each other and real friendships are made. ...

I left for a around 2 years because of major changes in my life and I wanted to leave everything behind I considered my old life. An opportunity arose for me to be a musician again and I went at it with my all and loved playing again. However I now have realized that even though music is a major part of my life the people of this forum are also. I still love knives and have over 100 of them but it's this group of people that has been the real draw for me to this place and the knives are secondary. I'm back and happy to be here and really glad that you guys are still the same kind of folks you've always been.
Excellent post, Randy! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'm glad you're back "home"! :)
What's that old saying? (I think it's actually from a poem by Robert Frost.)
“Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in.” ;):thumbsup:

- GT

I ordered a wildrag from Horsewright! I hope it gets here soon. Things are opening up, so there will be more reason than ever to protect oneself from the selfish reckless types. And the mask I'm using is sawing my ears off.

If I were religious....this bird would be my totem or spirit animal...
Yesterday was the 19th anniversary of my failed marriage which exists now only on paper (she remains the beneficiary of my pension when I croak unless divorced officially..which can be only reason she hasnt filed.My hope being that my sons will benefit from it...not that I will care when I'm dead)
..I was pondering whether to send a card and feeling unhappy about the whole mess and the shadow of disgrace, the fact that I was lied to by a woman I love who gave me 2 beautiful healthy sons....literally kicked while I was down after a breakdown and exhausted both physically and mentally....
So No!
Bugger it...
No card or message shall be sent...I was conflicted by these thoughts because Im not a grudge bearer nor a seeker of vengeance...
Then as I was working in a garden nearby...stooping to scoop up leaf litter...this Kookaburra landed on my back then swooped down on a tasty wichetty grub I had unearthed right at my boot....flew to the fence and waited for me to take this pic.
I stopped for a minute and felt quite beautiful in myself....a wonderful sense of connection and grounding ....of value if only to myself...that here is a good man with a will to help others and rise above the noisy ,bad vibey interference of the rest of the human race....I hope I see it again next week...it will eat from my hand...if I find a tasty enough morsel in the Earth.
Cheers
20200604-143230.jpg

r redden r redden
Well said Randy. Who knew when I stopped by here several years ago to research a knife I'd found I would end up buying and selling and immerse myself in the traditional knife world. It wasn't long before I realized I'd found something more important than any knife. Friendship. Again, who knew you could make real friends on the internet. The Porch could not have a more fitting name.

You didn't ask for advice meako meako , but I'm glad you chose not to send a message. You were sent a message instead - affirmation that all is as it needs to be. Live in the moment and be aware of the good around you. So many people, very sadly, rarely, maybe never, feel quite beautiful in themselves. Hold that thought Brother :thumbsup: (or at the least, leave room for it to flit in again) :)

This thread is my favorite place on BF because here is where we get to know each other and real friendships are made. We share the things we are doing in our lives, family pictures and events, places we go and have been and we asre there for each other when the chips are down. I remember when our friend Bob Bendle (Bigbiscuit) was not only in trouble with the cancer that had attacked his body but his SSI had not kicked in and he was in trouble financially as well as his health. It was about a month before Christmas he and I were talking when he confided in me that he wasn't sure if he could hold out until the SSI came through. This forum family responded and raised over $3000 for Bob and his family I recounted this story as an example of how great this place is because of the people here. I don't think anyone knows how many GAW's or just gifts of knives have occurred here.

Through my ups and downs, Randy, BF (and more importantly The Porch) has been here as a constant. The knife work I do is a side benefit, the true treasure is the friendships I've made. Glad you are here, my friend!

Yesterday was the 19th anniversary of my failed marriage which exists now only on paper (she remains the beneficiary of my pension when I croak unless divorced officially..which can be only reason she hasnt filed.My hope being that my sons will benefit from it...not that I will care when I'm dead)
..I was pondering whether to send a card and feeling unhappy about the whole mess and the shadow of disgrace, the fact that I was lied to by a woman I love who gave me 2 beautiful healthy sons....literally kicked while I was down after a breakdown and exhausted both physically and mentally....
So No!
Bugger it...
No card or message shall be sent...I was conflicted by these thoughts because Im not a grudge bearer nor a seeker of vengeance...
Then as I was working in a garden nearby...stooping to scoop up leaf litter...this Kookaburra landed on my back then swooped down on a tasty wichetty grub I had unearthed right at my boot....flew to the fence and waited for me to take this pic.
I stopped for a minute and felt quite beautiful in myself....a wonderful sense of connection and grounding ....of value if only to myself...that here is a good man with a will to help others and rise above the noisy ,bad vibey interference of the rest of the human race....I hope I see it again next week...it will eat from my hand...if I find a tasty enough morsel in the Earth.
Cheers
20200604-143230.jpg
What ask else? You got a new friend with bellbotoms! :)

Well said, Randy, and I will echo those sentiments. I don't participate in any other kind of "social media". I did try Linked-In and Twitter briefly, but didn't like them. Joined a gun forum, but got bored quickly. This is a special place, my friend.

Same here. This is a special place for me too.
Like Vince, my only social media outlet. :cool::thumbsup:

Ditto! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
My daughter does Twitface, Instagram, SnackChap, I don't know what else! I can't even stay caught up with BF, and I think most stuff here is interesting, which is WAY more than I can say for most social media! :eek::rolleyes:

- GT

I'm with you guys with the exception of a guitar forum but that's pretty much just for the knowledge and the pictures there's a lot of folks there that have mad luthier skills but even so it's nothing like this place.

Except for us, right?
Yes not the whole human race....mainly the news media , legal machine(note I dont use the word justice) and governments...you guys are ok ..i guess..:p:D and my neighbour Di..(never say Di) holding me up telling about the daughters upcoming wedding over the fence including every detail ....thats probably a good vibe...

What ask else? You got a new friend with bellbotoms! :)
And he is welcome to all the grubs, lizards and snakes I uproot too ,un oiseau elegant.

Last edited:
So No!
Bugger it...
Cheers
20200604-143230.jpg
This is the bird that we hear in all jungle movies right? And I also heard one on an episode of Wagon Train when Flint McCullough was kidnapped and held hostage in a tree fort. :confused:

Back