"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

You FORGOT that you were getting mail from Meako :confused: I would have been checking off the days on my calendar - er - laptop :rolleyes: :)

Love your guess JohnDF JohnDF :thumbsup:
Yes, when @meako sends a surprise in the mail, it could be anything...but it's always great!
Rfx1AVV.jpg

A few weeks ago, @meako posted a video here of himself, saying he would give a prize to the first one who guessed whom he was imitating. I watched the video, and immediately said "Ali." I was right, because Jon requested my mailing address. I had forgotten all about it, but received this in the mail a couple of days ago:
MulW6dQ.jpg

A handmade frame from recycled Australian hardwood, with a "mystery 'fire' photo"! Jon said I could put whatever picture I wanted in the frame, but he asked if I could guess what the photo was of. I am baffled. I did guess a close-up of a gang-gang cockatoo, because of the colors, but it is probably wrong. What could it be? :oops:

Anyway, I thank you for the prize, Jon, and will probably keep the mystery photo in the frame. :p :cool: :thumbsup:
upload_2020-7-11_8-32-41.jpeg
Not this, but similar.

A few weeks ago, @meako posted a video here of himself, saying he would give a prize to the first one who guessed whom he was imitating. I watched the video, and immediately said "Ali." I was right, because Jon requested my mailing address. I had forgotten all about it, but received this in the mail a couple of days ago:
MulW6dQ.jpg

A handmade frame from recycled Australian hardwood, with a "mystery 'fire' photo"! Jon said I could put whatever picture I wanted in the frame, but he asked if I could guess what the photo was of. I am baffled. I did guess a close-up of a gang-gang cockatoo, because of the colors, but it is probably wrong. What could it be? :oops:

Anyway, I thank you for the prize, Jon, and will probably keep the mystery photo in the frame. :p :cool: :thumbsup:
Vince, might it be a continuation of the boxing theme represented in @meako's Ali video? If so, I vote for the inimitable Don King running around with his hair on fire! :eek::D

- GT

KpXazp7.jpg

Half price day. This Hong Kong cleaver might even be worth the whole $2.
An antique mall:
ubGWThS.jpg

Strange pricing: $3 for the Case, $10 for the Colonial, $5 for the unmarked trapezoidal puukko, $10 for the black Solingen, and $18 for the all-metal Kutmaster.
PfXsPry.jpg

FNiEVOh.jpg

Last edited:
KpXazp7.jpg

Half price day. This Hong Kong cleaver might even be worth the whole $2.
An antique mall:
ubGWThS.jpg

Strange pricing: $3 for the Case, $10 for the Colonial, $5 for the unmarked trapezoidal puukko, $10 for the black Solingen, and $18 for the all-metal Kutmaster.
PfXsPry.jpg

FNiEVOh.jpg
Maybe I should hit an antique mall myself this week. Or maybe I'll wait till I don't have to wear a mask. Nice finds.

I should have taken a picture of mine yesterday at 109 degrees. Just too dang hot!!!

We hit 100F here in Syracuse on Friday. Too dang hot for me! The Central Air was running all day and night.

I'm going to have to talk with my daughter. I just noticed it appears she was taking a picture and maybe texting while driving, although she was going pretty slow. ;)

Looking at that nice dashboard pic for a moment thought it read 108 C :eek: Not much car or people left if that were the case ;)

Hottest I've ever been in was 43 C in France and a walk on the street seemed like your lungs were going to melt:eek: Heard it can reach 50C in India though....

Conversely, the COLDEST I've ever been in was in the last century in a town in N.Finland called Oulu one morning in January I was walking to work in -42C* that's right MINUS 42C and I wondered if I was going to make it......did :)

* That's around -44 Fahrenheit/ 76 degrees of frost, in that bizarre temperature system the Americans and some British still cling to :Do_O

Back