"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

O1QGdlvl.jpg

I know a lot of folks browse on their phones these days, which might mean you can't see the link in my sig line to my annual Yorkshire Day (August 1st) giveaway in the Guardians thread. It's open to anyone who has ever posted in that thread :thumbsup:

My daughter had shown me this before, and asked if I could make it for dinner again:
I obliged, but indoors in the kitchen. I had to make a few ingredient substitutions, and cut up the cheese with this instead of the Opinel Effilé used in the video:
OBqIsTr.jpg

I can’t possibly imagine taking all that stuff camping with me, but at least the guy has decent taste in knives.

My bike ride this morning took me to the C&O canal again. Only just over 20 miles round trip, but for some reason today the heat had me whupped.
TrcBtmC.jpg

No triangulation station for Jack, but I did pass by this humble bench mark:
Lxs9eWZ.jpg

I know a lot of folks browse on their phones these days, which might mean you can't see the link in my sig line to my annual Yorkshire Day (August 1st) giveaway in the Guardians thread. It's open to anyone who has ever posted in that thread :thumbsup:
No minimum number of entrants, I hope!
7inlr18.jpg

No significance to this picture either, except I mistakenly believed there was enough light.

I dunno ... speaking just for me, myself, and I, we'd hope it would degrade back to a lower than "Tropical Depression" regular rain showers.

Stay safe, please.
Fortunately it did not get any stronger. Made landfall last night a little bit south of us. Some storm surge along the gulf and bays, but not too much local damage. Last thing we need now is another hurricane!

Wonderful onezies on wooden Wednesday:
N1ENETu.jpg

One week since my deer tick bite. No fever yet, no halo rash (unless I tilt my wrist just right in the right light and use my imagination), and just the usual joint and muscle pain. From 2000-2018 we had 101 confirmed Lyme's case in the county, which Tick-watch says probably reflects 1010 actual cases, which still isn't bad over 18 years. On the other hand, 2018 had 38 of the 101 total cases, and 2019 and 2020 are probably exponentially worse. (I'm an optimist.)
But so far, so good, and if I did get it, I'll be diagnosed and treated quickly.

N1ENETu.jpg

One week since my deer tick bite. No fever yet, no halo rash (unless I tilt my wrist just right in the right light and use my imagination), and just the usual joint and muscle pain. From 2000-2018 we had 101 confirmed Lyme's case in the county, which Tick-watch says probably reflects 1010 actual cases, which still isn't bad over 18 years. On the other hand, 2018 had 38 of the 101 total cases, and 2019 and 2020 are probably exponentially worse. (I'm an optimist.)
But so far, so good, and if I did get it, I'll be diagnosed and treated quickly.
Good news, Jer. The "usual" pain is enough!

N1ENETu.jpg

Good news, Jer. The "usual" pain is enough!

I was just going to post much the same thing Vince :) No halo mark around my bite, no idea what it was. I get the joint and muscle pain all the time :rolleyes: Hope you're going to be OK Jer :thumbsup:

My daughter came to town yesterday, bought my 2007 Ford Focus (for $1 :rolleyes:), and we transferred title and license plates at the Secretary of State office. For the first time in 51 years, I don't have a vehicle of my very own (my wife and I will share her 2005 Honda Civic from now on - my name is on the title, but it's been her car for 15 years); feels very strange! Supposedly, my life is simpler now. ;)

- GT
Get a motorcycle!
And a bus pass, if you live somewhere that would do you any good. I assume you have a bicycle and Uber and Lyft on your phone.
Thanks for the transportation advice. :thumbsup::)
I'm sure I won't get a motorcycle. That would involve purchase, insurance, registration, license, and equipment complications that I'm unwilling to take on for part-year transportation. (Plus, I'd probably crash repeatedly, assuming I repeatedly survived crashes. :()

I do have a bus pass, and it even has about a month's worth of rides paid for on my account, but I haven't ridden the bus since March 11, I think, due to COVID-19 concerns. I may not get back to the bus until I've been vaccinated.

I've enjoyed (mostly) walking many of the places I've gone since March 11. There have only been 3 days when I didn't walk at least 6 miles. But at my current pace, walking seems rather time-consuming. I'm considering getting one of those 2-wheel or 3-wheel scooters with the post with handle bars sticking up in the front that you stand on with one foot and propel with the other leg. Most of my traveling is urban, with sidewalks and curb cuts, so I'll bet I could go from walking 16-minute miles to scootering 8-10 minute miles! :thumbsup::cool::) (Again, not year-round transportation, but relatively low initial investment.)

- GT

Back