"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I was making too much noise...probably needed a bigger saw...the guy hired me to dice that fallen tree for firewood.... i was halfway done with the easy bit left when he decided his neighbour was coming to finish it off fir free and get the firewood...ok but then the fateful words "can you just have a look at this one round the back and clear it up a bit"....honestly it was a whole other job ...far more challenging and frankly dangerous...a neighbours tree had fallen over the wire fence on to an already fallen tree which had uprooted ...it was caught and bound about 12 ft up the trunk of yet another massive gum tree....all on the side of a crumbly rock bank with a thick layer of tangked vines and shrubs...nightmare!...it was no challenge at all!:rolleyes::cool:...but the price immediately doubled.:thumbsup:.
20200805-142506.jpg

Knife cuts can be unpleasant but kind of occupational hazard here ;):D That and peculiar looking bald patches on the arms, even elsewhere....;):eek:

Truly horrible cuts can come from glass though....when I was young, decided to clean the windows in my student room. Window stuck by damp, hand slipped off handle arm straight out the window by some good fortune I grabbed the side with left hand-just as my neck was heading to a large shard! Tendon severed completely so right hand useless, huge spouts of blood coming from wrist and ring fingertip almost severed, held on by the glass splinter that had pierced through the finger nail:eek::poop: Still got a deep ragged scar on the wrist and the finger tip is still unpleasant to touch stuff with to this day.

Ever since then, I refuse to clean windows :D;)

Ouch!

My mom was an elementary school teacher (now retired). She had something similar happen to her while teaching, accidentally put her hand through a window she was trying to close in her classroom. If I remember the story correctly, she was pregnant with me at the time. Probably traumatized a whole class of first graders! :eek: :D

btb01 btb01 Gave you your lifelong interest in sharp objects though Barrett;):D

When Ma was carrying my eldest brother, she smoked. He has always abhorred any tobacco products ;) With my elder brother and 75 years later when carrying me ;):eek: she didn't smoke, you guessed both of us were keen smokers at one stage :D Want to stamp out boozing (no)? Urge pregnant women to take up heavy drinking :eek::D:D

It works! Though I wouldn't want to try it without the sword.
4a9upzQ.jpg

Dad would approve. It feels heavier than the one we had when I was a kid, and there's no chamber for a fertilizing pellet: "One less damm thing to go wrong".

Outrageous.
That 5% may be 100% goose down, I guess.

Well, the label says 5% o_O Heck knows what's in it, wasn't cheap either :mad:

Jack Black Jack Black

if you need a down comforter, send some cool weather our way....please?

It's certainly not been a warm summer here, but I was buying it because I'm sick of replacing synthetic ones every few years o_O Hope you get some cooler weather soon my friend :thumbsup:

You might find that "100 % Pure White Goose " is merely a brand name...much like the nefarious McDonalds with its 100% Pure Aussie "Beef....which begs the question what the hell have I been eating because my steaks don't taste like the droppings of an unhealthy bassethound.?
Reminds me of Chuck Connors guesting on Laugh-in as a hamburger magnate celebrating his billionth burger sold: "And that represents over ten pounds of beef!"

Decided to buy a new quilt, supposedly "100% Pure White Goose Down" and made in the UK. Turned out to be 5% goose down, and made in China :mad:

Udpvk9V.jpg

WmocuyV.jpg

Humbys brand :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
I once saw a newspaper ad (yep, I'm old) for solid oak wood bookcases on sale. Ran down to the store and upon inspection, saw that they were made of particle board. I pointed this out to the salesman who replied, "Yes! All the wood particles are oak." :rolleyes:

I once saw a newspaper ad (yep, I'm old) for solid oak wood bookcases on sale. Ran down to the store and upon inspection, saw that they were made of particle board. I pointed this out to the salesman who replied, "Yes! All the wood particles are oak." :rolleyes:

Very dodgy! o_O

Now that's salesmanship...

A new British importer of an American brand of climbing shoes (5.10) once sent me a couple of pairs to review. Not long after, I bumped into their head honcho at a trade fair, and he asked me what my initial thoughts on them were. I said, "Well the fit and finish isn't very good is it, there's glue all over the place."
The reply was, "Well that's your guarantee that they've not skimped on the glue." :rolleyes:

Back