"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

screened porch screened porch

I have never heard of such an apparatus (tree root irrigator), but it makes perfect sense :thumbsup:
I had a hard time finding one. They're usually called tree root feeders, because of the chamber for a pellet of fertilizer. Ross makes a heavy-duty one and a light-duty one for half the price. Corona makes one for the price of the Ross light-duty, but I've seen bad reviews of its welds.
This one, by Bully Tools (I never heard of them), has the outlet hole right on the point of the spike. I might plug that and drill a couple of holes across near the point, like the one Dad had. As it is, it plugged up on one out of three uses, even with the sword-stuck pilot hole.

I think he was trying to be funny... but kinda failed.
Easy to make fun of what you haven’t spent time trying to understand. Par for the course these days. It did seem as though he was aiming at good natured ribbing, but that usually only works when you really appreciate what you’re poking at. I didn’t get that sense, but it was only one video, too.

There have been several great posts here over the last year or so having to do with maintaining/improving health, and I’d like to add one if I may. If anyone is taking anything to treat enlarged prostate - be aware that these can cause PSA test results to be artificially low. I just found this out the hard way. After my annual physical earlier this year my doctor called and said my PSA was a little higher than the 4.0 they like to see. He didn’t seem too concerned, since it was still under 5.0. When I saw a urologist he informed me that since I had been taking Dutasteride for over 15 years for enlarged prostate, the under 5.0 reading could really indicate something more like 7.0. A biopsy confirmed cancer. I had a robotic laparoscopic prostatectomy in June, and got the first post-op PSA results Friday. First time I was ever thrilled to get 0.00 on a test! Looks as if they may have gotten it all, but I’ll be having follow-up PSA’s for a long time to make sure sure some cancer hasn’t hung around. I had no post-op pain (except the catheter for the first eight days), but my abdomen looks like I’ve been in a knife fight (five slits in a row across the abdomen.)

Hope this hasn’t sounded too much like “Let me tell you about my operation.” It may not apply to anyone here, but if it does maybe it can save someone some grief.

By the way, here are a couple of short videos on the robotic procedure. Absolutely amazing!

da Vinci® Surgery - How It Works - YouTube

da Vinci Robot Stitches a Grape Back Together - YouTube

Last edited:
There have been several great posts here over the last year or so having to do with maintaining/improving health, and I’d like to add one if I may. If anyone is taking anything to treat enlarged prostate - be aware that these can cause PSA test results to be artificially low. I just found this out the hard way. After my annual physical earlier this year my doctor called and said my PSA was a little higher than the 4.0 they like to see. He didn’t seem too concerned, since it was still under 5.0. When I saw a urologist he informed me that since I had been taking Dutasteride for over 15 years for enlarged prostate, the under 5.0 reading could really indicate something more like 7.0. A biopsy confirmed cancer. I had a robotic laparoscopic prostatectomy in June, and got the first post-op PSA results Friday. First time I was ever thrilled to get 0.00 on a test! Looks as if they may have gotten it all, but I’ll be having follow-up PSA’s for a long time to make sure sure some cancer hasn’t hung around. I had no post-op pain (except the catheter for the first eight days), but my abdomen looks like I’ve been in a knife fight (five slits in a row across the abdomen.)

Hope this hasn’t sounded too much like “Let me tell you about my operation.” It may not apply to anyone here, but if it does maybe it can save someone some grief.

By the way, here are a couple of short videos on the robotic procedure. Absolutely amazing!

da Vinci® Surgery - How It Works - YouTube

da Vinci Robot Stitches a Grape Back Together - YouTube
Hopefully you are done with the cancer. Take care.

Gerd

I took the duct tape and felt handle off my new Chinese COBRA HUNTER. I haven't decided whether to inlet the tang into some wider scales, or see how it feels with scales as narrow as the tang.
MX9B9wU.jpg

Easy to make fun of what you haven’t spent time trying to understand. Par for the course these days. It did seem as though he was aiming at good natured ribbing, but that usually only works when you really appreciate what you’re poking at. I didn’t get that sense, but it was only one video, too.
Certainly he misses the mark a little, but I am willing to accept it as good-natured ribbing. His whole schtick is poking fun at knife trends and knife people of all types, including himself, which is fine, and people DO sometimes take themselves too seriously. I think it is good to be able to laugh at yourself sometimes - I have definitely given myself enough material to work with over the years.

Seems like he's playing to the younger Modern/Traditional Crossover crowd.

I haven't checked out his channel, so I couldn't say, but you may be right.

Certainly he misses the mark a little, but I am willing to accept it as good-natured ribbing. His whole schtick is poking fun at knife trends and knife people of all types, including himself, which is fine, and people DO sometimes take themselves too seriously. I think it is good to be able to laugh at yourself sometimes - I have definitely given myself enough material to work with over the years.

It didn't upset me at all. I just don't think he quite pulled it off. Amusing, sure. But I wasn't laughing out loud and there weren't any one liners I found worth repeating. I hope I can laugh at myself, especially when the jokes are really well played.

He's not ill-informed about knives and has a number of GECs which he likes, fair enough. what he's poking fun at is a cliché, a misconception in fact: all Tradtional enthusiasts are close to dotage, wear beards and go to bed early, have no idea what stainless steel is and are generally dinosaurish (not so bad ;)) This is of course absurd:D;) All ages, walks of life, countries are represented here, moreover as he unwittingly implies in the video, it's not an either or thing.many of us here like and have Moderns but we only discuss that in limited threads. Many admire Contemporary Traditionals from Europe and this year's Forum Knife from Viper is eagerly anticipated by me and a lot of others :cool:

Many Modern enthusiasts also have a place in their collection and hearts for more Traditional spring knives and enjoy them accordingly. If they are sneered at or laughed at for so doing by their peers then that's just inane Group Think. The herd...;) If you can't laugh at yourself and your own absurdities then do you think you should be laughing at others?:) He points out, when cutting down (an admittedly wimpish) box, that you don't always need a lock...something his peers obviously can't imagine:D He, is of course WRONG about the scales/covers debate and we've had that here before, both are legit and both have long pedigree.

Roasted? Not even browned:D But about 300 for some garish purple? uh uh...nor is that small...:rolleyes:

As a comedian he makes a good knife reviewer....THWAKK !!
His knives are sharp but his jokes aren't...
.KA THUMMPP.!!!
Actually I enjoyed the show...very professional....I don't feel at all offended....its not like he made fun of my beloved porch to be rude to the oldies...If it was me I would have suggested starting a "show us your favourite penknife and bunion" thread and bypass the criticism of hats.
Cheers.
I think he was trying to be funny... but kinda failed.

I found images of 'cobra hunter knife China'. It originally came in a double sheath with a 4.5"-bladed by-knife. Looks like jigged bone scales (probably faux) the same width as the tang, and the guard is a pointy oval.
So in the interests of restorational purity, I'll do the handle the easy way. I was going to do the pointy oval anyway, as an homage to Clint Walker's knife in Cheyenne.
RJEYEnJ.jpg

As a comedian he makes a good knife reviewer....THWAKK !!
His knives are sharp but his jokes aren't...
.KA THUMMPP.!!!
Actually I enjoyed the show...very professional....I don't feel at all offended....its not like he made fun of my beloved porch to be rude to the oldies...If it was me I would have suggested starting a "show us your favourite penknife and bunion" thread and bypass the criticism of hats.
Cheers.

meako, you should start your own knife review channel on YouTube! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

Back