1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

1. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I wonder what Bob Dylan carries for a pocket knife.

meako likes this.
  2. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    The answer, my friend...:D ;) :thumbsup:

"… Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
    Before they're forever banned?" :rolleyes:

3. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    It's as American as apple pie!

"Although chewing gum can be traced back to civilizations around the world, the modernization and commercialization of this product mainly took place in the United States. The American Indians chewed resin made from the sap of spruce trees.[11] The New England settlers picked up this practice, and in 1848, John B. Curtis developed and sold the first commercial chewing gum called The State of Maine Pure Spruce Gum."

"Modern chewing gum was first developed in the 1860s when chicle was brought from Mexico by the former President, General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, to New York, where he gave it to Thomas Adams for use as a rubber substitute. Chicle did not succeed as a replacement for rubber, but as a gum, which was cut into strips and marketed as Adams New York Chewing Gum in 1871.[17][18] Black Jack (1884), which is flavored with licorice, Chiclets (1899), and Wrigley's Spearmint Gum were early popular gums that quickly dominated the market and are all still around today.[3] Chewing gum gained worldwide popularity through American GIs in WWII, who were supplied chewing gum as a ration and traded it with locals. Synthetic gums were first introduced to the U.S. after chicle no longer satisfied the needs of making good chewing gum.[3] By the 1960s, US manufacturers had switched to butadiene-based synthetic rubber, as it was cheaper to manufacture."

4. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Well...
    I meant it more as a joke about what kind of "political" talk is Chiclet worthy.
    But, I do love Apple pie!:D
    Funny that the article referenced Black Jack and Chiclets!;)

5. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    That's what makes it so good.

meako and r8shell like this.
  6. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    My Wife and I have been going to the park in the evenings.
    It's been great to sit and watch the little kids play baseball, take little walks, and play with the puppy.

Blue is getting quite athletic... Nice catch Blue. :)
    [​IMG]

7. r8shell

Jan 16, 2010
    What a beautiful pup, John!

It's still hitting 90 degrees in the afternoons here, but Echo predicts a cold winter.
    [​IMG]

8. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    32° F here this morning.

Cutfinger likes this.
  9. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Tell Echo, thanks for the prediction... I like it a little cold. :cool:
    You being from Texas, I'm sure you'll agree with this Kalifornian, I'm tired of the heat.

10. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Wow! 77 here at 8:30, expected to hit 97 later. Wish Fall would start!

Cutfinger and JohnDF like this.
  11. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    40 something here, I think, but supposed to get above 60.
    I have some windows open in case the furnace guy had covid, though he had his mask and I think he was wearing it even when he was alone with the furnace. Of course he doesn't want my cooties either. But I'm old, fat, diabetic, and the wrong blood type, so I like to take precautions when I'm not spacing out on them.
    The Old Farmer's Almanac says our winter will be more wet than white.
    [​IMG]
    [Edited to remove doubled Almanac reference]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    afishhunter, Peregrin, btb01 and 2 others like this.
  12. r8shell

Jan 16, 2010
    Absolutely! The last couple winters were mild, and if we don't get a good freeze or two, the bugs in the spring are unbearable.
    I'm interpreting her prediction based on fluffiness and appetite. :D

Jolipapa and JohnDF like this.
  13. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    I'd better oil that sleigh even if it won't be needed. I don't know how it got so rusty.^

It's already 60 here. Maybe I'll put on my Speedo and lie on the lawn. (I'll spare you all that picture.)

meako, Cutfinger, Peregrin and 2 others like this.
  14. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    If she likes it cold she could try joining my ferocious Princess ;) She's used to -30c and snow but doesn't like it :eek: (Who could?)

[​IMG]

15. r8shell

Jan 16, 2010
    Oh, I didn't say she likes the cold, just that she's predicting it. ;) Princess is probably less spoiled than Echo.

scrteened porch and Will Power like this.
  16. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Cold enough here this morning to run the furnace to take the chill off.

Our ferocious duo - "CoCo" a German Shepherd/Australian Shepherd mix and "Utah" a Doxie.

[​IMG]

17. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    I did the same thing yesterday morning.

This morning we got a bit of snow.

[​IMG]

18. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    It is a well known fact that the dog mirrors the master... orangepfight.gif :D:D:D

19. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    There was ice on the top level of the hospital parking ramp this morning. (Just routine blood labs.)
    I was scandalized.
    I don't have an ice ax. Hmm.
    [​IMG]
    $85 for Llamaland's cheapest 80 cm free delivery 4-star plus ice ax. Maybe I can make one out of a small mattock and an old chisel.
    A small masonry hammer is probably more like it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  20. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Tossed a handful of bird seed on the lawn, as I was filling the feeders this morning. It didn't take them long to find it.
    [​IMG]