"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I love gum! :D

Just don't mention country of origin!
:poop::poop::poop:
It's as American as apple pie!

"Although chewing gum can be traced back to civilizations around the world, the modernization and commercialization of this product mainly took place in the United States. The American Indians chewed resin made from the sap of spruce trees.[11] The New England settlers picked up this practice, and in 1848, John B. Curtis developed and sold the first commercial chewing gum called The State of Maine Pure Spruce Gum."

"Modern chewing gum was first developed in the 1860s when chicle was brought from Mexico by the former President, General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, to New York, where he gave it to Thomas Adams for use as a rubber substitute. Chicle did not succeed as a replacement for rubber, but as a gum, which was cut into strips and marketed as Adams New York Chewing Gum in 1871.[17][18] Black Jack (1884), which is flavored with licorice, Chiclets (1899), and Wrigley's Spearmint Gum were early popular gums that quickly dominated the market and are all still around today.[3] Chewing gum gained worldwide popularity through American GIs in WWII, who were supplied chewing gum as a ration and traded it with locals. Synthetic gums were first introduced to the U.S. after chicle no longer satisfied the needs of making good chewing gum.[3] By the 1960s, US manufacturers had switched to butadiene-based synthetic rubber, as it was cheaper to manufacture."

It's as American as apple pie!

"Although chewing gum can be traced back to civilizations around the world, the modernization and commercialization of this product mainly took place in the United States. The American Indians chewed resin made from the sap of spruce trees.[11] The New England settlers picked up this practice, and in 1848, John B. Curtis developed and sold the first commercial chewing gum called The State of Maine Pure Spruce Gum."

"Modern chewing gum was first developed in the 1860s when chicle was brought from Mexico by the former President, General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, to New York, where he gave it to Thomas Adams for use as a rubber substitute. Chicle did not succeed as a replacement for rubber, but as a gum, which was cut into strips and marketed as Adams New York Chewing Gum in 1871.[17][18] Black Jack (1884), which is flavored with licorice, Chiclets (1899), and Wrigley's Spearmint Gum were early popular gums that quickly dominated the market and are all still around today.[3] Chewing gum gained worldwide popularity through American GIs in WWII, who were supplied chewing gum as a ration and traded it with locals. Synthetic gums were first introduced to the U.S. after chicle no longer satisfied the needs of making good chewing gum.[3] By the 1960s, US manufacturers had switched to butadiene-based synthetic rubber, as it was cheaper to manufacture."
Well...
I meant it more as a joke about what kind of "political" talk is Chiclet worthy.
But, I do love Apple pie!:D
Funny that the article referenced Black Jack and Chiclets!;)

My Wife and I have been going to the park in the evenings.
It's been great to sit and watch the little kids play baseball, take little walks, and play with the puppy.

Blue is getting quite athletic... Nice catch Blue. :)
What a beautiful pup, John!

It's still hitting 90 degrees in the afternoons here, but Echo predicts a cold winter.
PGWfdBm.jpg

40 something here, I think, but supposed to get above 60.
I have some windows open in case the furnace guy had covid, though he had his mask and I think he was wearing it even when he was alone with the furnace. Of course he doesn't want my cooties either. But I'm old, fat, diabetic, and the wrong blood type, so I like to take precautions when I'm not spacing out on them.
The Old Farmer's Almanac says our winter will be more wet than white.
qJMaC7T.jpg

[Edited to remove doubled Almanac reference]

Last edited:
Tell Echo, thanks for the prediction... I like it a little cold. :cool:
You being from Texas, I'm sure you'll agree with this Kalifornian, I'm tired of the heat.
Absolutely! The last couple winters were mild, and if we don't get a good freeze or two, the bugs in the spring are unbearable.
I'm interpreting her prediction based on fluffiness and appetite. :D

There was ice on the top level of the hospital parking ramp this morning. (Just routine blood labs.)
I was scandalized.
I don't have an ice ax. Hmm.
Vy9H7zq.jpg

$85 for Llamaland's cheapest 80 cm free delivery 4-star plus ice ax. Maybe I can make one out of a small mattock and an old chisel.
A small masonry hammer is probably more like it.

Last edited:
Back