"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

That one was okay. Best Eastwood flics were Outlaw Josey Wales; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; Dirty Harry; and the best one of all, in my top ten film list: Kelly's Heroes.
Hands-down, the best Clint Eastwood movie was Unforgiven.
All enjoyable choices! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
But what about the "other" Eastwood? I liked several movies where he seemed somewhat "out of character": Paint Your Wagon is a favorite, and I liked both Play Misty for Me and Million Dollar Baby.

- GT

All enjoyable choices! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
But what about the "other" Eastwood? I liked several movies where he seemed somewhat "out of character": Paint Your Wagon is a favorite, and I liked both Play Misty for Me and Million Dollar Baby.

- GT

I've always enjoyed watching Eastwood as an actor, but I also think he's a great director :thumbsup:

This engraving from 1799 shows 'a group of gentlemen hunting squirrels by throwing sticks at them', but there's no info on the sticks :rolleyes:

il_1140xN.2210214195_227w.jpg

"John Wise writing in the early 1860s, and Gerald Lascelles, Deputy Surveyor of the New Forest, writing of the years between 1880 and 1914, noted a range of weaponry used to bring down red squirrels from the tree-tops during the old sport of squoyling. Scales, squoyles, squails and snogs - the names seem to have been interchangeably used - were relatively light sticks around 38 centimetres (15 inches) long, loaded at the tip with a pear-shaped ball of heavier, hard wood; and stouter sticks of similar length, loaded with lead.

At times, squoyling was a competitive social activity that seems to have been particularly well-supported around Christmas-time when squoyling parties would go out into the woods to see which would come back with the biggest bag of squirrels."

I think the book I read, which mentioned them, may have named the sticks as 'squalls' :thumbsup:

Something else, which may be of interest :thumbsup:
I made a couple of what I called squirrel-hammers, long ago, on a similar principle. I'm looking for a good rabbit stick branch now.

I made a couple of what I called squirrel-hammers, long ago, on a similar principle. I'm looking for a good rabbit stick branch now.

Did the squirrel-hammers work Jer? When I was a boy, we had a neighbour who was a park-keeper. He would only have been around 30, but he always carried what he called his rabbiting-stick (basically just a walking stick). I'm pretty sure he never brought anything home for the pot though :D :thumbsup:

Did the squirrel-hammers work Jer? When I was a boy, we had a neighbour who was a park-keeper. He would only have been around 30, but he always carried what he called his rabbiting-stick (basically just a walking stick). I'm pretty sure he never brought anything home for the pot though :D :thumbsup:
I never tried those squirrel hammers. They might still be in the garage somewhere.
Like Les Stroud in the desert. Though to be fair, he never saw a rabbit, so we can't blame him for missing. [I love the way, in every episode, he would say, "The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt an animal". Must be why he crushes rodents instead of packing a lunch.]
I found my Ellsworth Jaeger reference to Hopi rabbit sticks (curved or bent and about as long as your forearm), and went through Stone's Glossary for throwing sticks. They seem to divide into flattish blade-like ones, usually curved; and knob-ended straight ones.
I was hoping my Old English Sports would mention squoyling, but no.

[I can't find my squirrel hammers, which proves nothing, but I may have thrown them out or burned them.]

I never tried those squirrel hammers. They might still be in the garage somewhere.
Like Les Stroud in the desert. Though to be fair, he never saw a rabbit, so we can't blame him for missing. [I love the way, in every episode, he would say, "The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt an animal". Must be why he crushes rodents instead of packing a lunch.]
I found my Ellsworth Jaeger reference to Hopi rabbit sticks (curved or bent and about as long as your forearm), and went through Stone's Glossary for throwing sticks. They seem to divide into flattish blade-like ones, usually curved; and knob-ended straight ones.
I was hoping my Old English Sports would mention squoyling, but no.

[I can't find my squirrel hammers, which proves nothing, but I may have thrown them out or burned them.]

I've got a couple of old sporting books I'll have to check out Jer :thumbsup: I did a Leisure Studies degree back in the 80's, and that covered loads of old interesting old sports and pastimes, but it didn't include anything about squirrel-hunting. I had a great book, published back in the early 20th century, with advice on hunting, cooking, and eating just about everything that crawls, flies, walks, or grows. Sadly, I no longer have it, and don't know the title (I just had a reprint) :( :thumbsup:

I've got a couple of old sporting books I'll have to check out Jer :thumbsup: I did a Leisure Studies degree back in the 80's, and that covered loads of old interesting old sports and pastimes, but it didn't include anything about squirrel-hunting. I had a great book, published back in the early 20th century, with advice on hunting, cooking, and eating just about everything that crawls, flies, walks, or grows. Sadly, I no longer have it, and don't know the title (I just had a reprint) :( :thumbsup:
Funny something so popular can be forgotten so quickly.

Those are cool.
Fortunately, my trigger lock was barely engaged, and I managed to twist it off. If I can find a longer bolt of this pitch and diameter, I can dispense with the key.
6GisB4L.jpg
I switched to combination trigger locks after I lost the keys to my lock the day before deer season opened. Luckily I was shooting a lever back then and I was able to get through the cable with my Leatherman.

Josey Wales #1

and who could forget Zardoz?
Wait a minute. Somehow we got from Connery to Eastwood. Are you back to Connery with Zardoz? Is that the one where Connery wears a red diaper and a walrus mustache to lead bandits of the future against nude British women behind a force-field? And in the end he and Charlotte Rampling die and rot in a cave?

A classic.

Back