"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

ya5fmoI.jpg
They are eating all the beetles on their way to infest your knife collection. ;)

The worst of it is - the starling was deliberately brought into North America in 1890 by a genius who thought it would be neat to have all of the birds mentioned in the plays of William Shakespeare represented over here. Sort of like the idiots who think it’s neat to bring Burmese pythons into Florida.

Britain, more especially England, is one part of Europe that has seen its domestic European Red Squirrel population destroyed and displaced by the much larger N.American Grey Squirrel (tree rat horror) which got introduced by enthusiasts in the late c19th. The Grey carries a pox which is largely harmless to itself but lethal to the Red species, kind of Squirrel Covid :eek:

There are other sides to the introduced fauna/flora debate though. Here in Finland a weird hate campaign has been unleashed by eco warriors (fascists) and local authorities over the alleged 'horror' of Lupins. A lot of silly old women now go out proudly pulling them up and doing their duty :rolleyes: Lupins, blue, pink or white, flower beautifully in June July by verges on motorways, in disused sites, waysides etc but they're condemned for not being 'native' Far as I know, the plant has been here well over a century and all they replace are some very dull grasses and suchlike :D Moreover, local authorities and farmers, many of whom are firmly stuck in a 1960s cut everything down and spray it mentality, are often mowing verges and lanes quite needlessly and just to make everything tidy :thumbsdown: Old films show beautiful country lanes and unmade roads with lots of flowering plants-including Lupins- adding refuge for all sorts of wildlife and butterflies, until along comes a cutter and turns it into bland cut grass:mad:

screened porch screened porch Interesting. My friends in England tell me that both House and Tree Sparrows are becoming an endangered species, really stunning given their huge numbers just 40 years ago.:eek: I don't blame your grandfather's netting though ;)

Andrew Ucles from Wollongong shows a safe effective way to control feral rabbits..
This guy is the real deal...
Why aren't those snakes biting his legs? I would.
If I were a snake, I mean...Okay, given the right opportunity I might anyway. ;) But seriously, why are they just hanging there? A Texas rattlesnake woulda squirmed 'round and bit him a dozen times. Then gone and eaten the rabbit.

A murmuration, clutter or constellation of Starlings. From "An Asylum of Loons"

I was out feeding the birds earlier, and there was a huge amount of bird noise. They took off and the sky was full of them. I wasn't quick enough to get a pic. They came back though.

I took these shortly after. It was beginning to feel like a Hitchcock movie.......

Have a great weekend! Be safe!
yqdPiw5.jpg

DhWb5f7.jpg

ya5fmoI.jpg
In the very early 1960's , we lived in a southern Indiana town that had the County Courthouse and the normal Square around it . In the Fall , people were invited to bring there own shotgun and ammo down at night to shoot into the trees and kill starlings . The excrement mess they would make on the sidewalks was terrible .

Harry

Why didnt the council workers or preferably convict labour scoop the guano up for fertilser ...makes way more sense.

r8shell r8shell i think its because he has them in such a way that the business end is near the ground...this prompts them to escape rather than risk attacking a much bigger predator.They could very easily come up and get him ....but they are not aggressive things......just have very very potent venom...Red Bellied Black Snake is common and comes in at 10th most venomous land snake in the world..Western Diamondback Rattler is 18th...but take into account it is a very different predator ...but yeah ..the guy is a maniac...
Why aren't those snakes biting his legs? I would.
If I were a snake, I mean...Okay, given the right opportunity I might anyway. ;) But seriously, why are they just hanging there? A Texas rattlesnake woulda squirmed 'round and bit him a dozen times. Then gone and eaten the rabbit.

Misplaced Hillbilly Misplaced Hillbilly Dave thats a great version....so popular was that song oeople want is as the National Anthem....but then there was the rather pathetic court case over whether they pinched the tune from an old song called The Kookaburra Sits in The Old Gumtree.....
Interesting to note that a large Red Bellied Blacksnake can rise up ,neck flattened out cobra style and look you in the eye.

Curse the curvature of the Earth and its timezones! I so wanted to go trollin'...knives as jewellery! ...what a preposterous ridiculous idea...
20201125-192614.jpg

Oh these old things? They're earrings not knives...sorry mods been working in the hot sun today.
Over on the less genteel sections of the forums, the prevailing opinion seems to be that any knife that can’t be flipped open one-handed and doesn’t have a locking mechanism, pocket clip, or stainless “super steel” is some sort of ancient coelacanth which needs to be cast back into the murky depths from which it came.

They will cut you with no provocation, rust at the first sign of humidity, get dull cutting a banana, and get in the way when you reach into your pocket to fish out your flashlight, pry bar, multi-tool, lighter, keys, or fancy hanky.

I suspect knife makers and dealers have seeded these opinions in the young and impressionable as a way to sell the latest ridiculously over-priced, ugly, un-ergonomic glorified utility knives that are so popular these days.

I won’t bore you with tales of my real-world knife use, but I will say that until I started browsing these forums a couple of years ago, I never even knew such a thing as a “modern folder” existed, and never felt like my knives were lacking in any way.

And get off of my lawn!!!!

Curse the curvature of the Earth and its timezones! I so wanted to go trollin'...knives as jewellery! ...what a preposterous ridiculous idea...
20201125-192614.jpg

Oh these old things? They're earrings not knives...sorry mods been working in the hot sun today.

A very hot sun, very very hot. How can the sun be so hot?

Over on the less genteel sections of the forums, the prevailing opinion seems to be that any knife that can’t be flipped open one-handed and doesn’t have a locking mechanism, pocket clip, or stainless “super steel” is some sort of ancient coelacanth which needs to be cast back into the murky depths from which it came.

They will cut you with no provocation, rust at the first sign of humidity, get dull cutting a banana, and get in the way when you reach into your pocket to fish out your flashlight, pry bar, multi-tool, lighter, keys, or fancy hanky.

I suspect knife makers and dealers have seeded these opinions in the young and impressionable as a way to sell the latest ridiculously over-priced, ugly, un-ergonomic glorified utility knives that are so popular these days.

I won’t bore you with tales of my real-world knife use, but I will say that until I started browsing these forums a couple of years ago, I never even knew such a thing as a “modern folder” existed, and never felt like my knives were lacking in any way.

I hear you. I consider myself as being a steel snob. Carbon steel and low alloy tool steels only. Stainless steels are for car hubcaps.

Dan.

Knives are like any other consumer product, there are niche areas for everyone... I look past the flip open titanium super knives just as easily as I look past falcon wing door Tesla Model X's. :D My Roger's bone Ulster scout knife and Subaru Forester are all that I need to tackle the day ;) Plus try whittling or adding a hole in your belt with one of those knives!

Back