"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Anyone else remember the time RCA solved the problem of demonstrating stereophonic sound to folks who didn’t own a stereo phonograph? In the late fifties they simulcast an NBC TV show on NBC radio, with one stereo channel on the TV and the other on the radio. I still remember following the instructions to set up the radio so many feet to one side of the TV (I forget which side the radio was supposed to be on) and standing back so many feet from both to experience stereo sound. It’s funny what we got excited about back then.
I have never heard of that! Did it work?

I have never heard of that! Did it work?

Worked fine if a bit gimmicky. (If I remember there were a lot of obvious “Left-Right” interactions in the show to highlight the effect.) I was about 14 and I was really impressed. We didn’t run out and buy a stereophonic phonograph though - they weren’t cheap in those days.

My 3347 CV arrived today.
tuHK5Fi.jpg

I didn't know they'd adopted the Buck 3-spring gambit on these.
oJw2kOO.jpg

Sometimes I think it's a shame to abandon the crinker's art, sometimes I wonder why they all weren't always three-springed.

My 3347 CV arrived today.
tuHK5Fi.jpg

I didn't know they'd adopted the Buck 3-spring gambit on these.
oJw2kOO.jpg

Sometimes I think it's a shame to abandon the crinker's art, sometimes I wonder why they all weren't always three-springed.
Most of the two spring models were whittler's with the two small blades on one side and a the larger clip blade on the opposite. I bet once they started going to larger blades all around that springs started "pinging" :eek:

Edit: Of course I assumed Jer was talking about whittlers and not regular old stockman's ;) I agree that this could be a standard two spring stockman.

Last edited:
Could still be an avocation.
I guess I should have known the 47s were three-springed:
5913o4E.jpg

I already had this LT347. (What a mess.)
so1CSAo.jpg

I believe the 47s are/were 3 spring. But that Shadow one you show....more than a mess, the worker must've been drunk off the :D Good job they didn't try krinking...you'd never get it open with that skill set :eek::D

I believe the 47s are/were 3 spring. But that Shadow one you show....more than a mess, the worker must've been drunk off the :D Good job they didn't try krinking...you'd never get it open with that skill set :eek::D
There's nothing wrong with the new one, though.
I was tossing some brown lemon juice, and felt I hadn't wasted enough time yet today, so I greyed the blades a bit.
KxQOmsw.jpg

I'm not sure if there are any other flashlight "nutz" on The Porch, but ever since I was a teenager I have been on the prowl for the smallest and brightest flashlights that I can find. Right now the current leader in the clubhouse is an Ozark Trail 750 Lumen USB rechargeable... it is less than 6-1/2" long and 1-1/8" diameter at the handle. It is RIDICULOUSLY bright... would be a great Christmas gift if you have anyone that loves little flashlights in your family. The USB charger makes it a great light to have in your car since most cars have USB ports now. Thumbnail pics below.

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

Could still be an avocation.
I guess I should have known the 47s were three-springed:
5913o4E.jpg

I already had this LT347. (What a mess.)
so1CSAo.jpg
Congrats on the yellow CV 3347, Jer! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
I think that model is a great stockman, 3 springs and all. I have a saw cut bone 6347 that a BF member basically made me buy to get the Case canoe I really wanted, and I'm sure glad he did force me to take it! :rolleyes:
I also have an LT347 like yours, but mine is NOT a mess. Here are the springs and a photo of the unkrinked blades in the handle:
LT347.3springs.jpg
LT347.nokrinking.jpg

- GT

Congrats on the yellow CV 3347, Jer! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
I think that model is a great stockman, 3 springs and all. I have a saw cut bone 6347 that a BF member basically made me buy to get the Case canoe I really wanted, and I'm sure glad he did force me to take it! :rolleyes:
I also have an LT347 like yours, but mine is NOT a mess. Here are the springs and a photo of the unkrinked blades in the handle:
View attachment 1469447
View attachment 1469449

- GT
Thanks. I like it a lot. My first regular stockman by Case, for whatever reason or none.
Very nice LT. I don't know how I lucked out on mine, but I'm glad they aren't all like mine.

Also a fan of the x347 Stockman. I think I have more of them than I need :)

Here are some:

NX0loej.jpg

I know I have two more of them not pictured, if not more.

The Yeller one is CV. I carry and use that Amber Bone at the top a lot.

Middle one was the Slanted and Fluted Stag, first run. Which was also the only run. :)

Thanks. I like it a lot. My first regular stockman by Case, for whatever reason or none.
Very nice LT. I don't know how I lucked out on mine, but I'm glad they aren't all like mine.
Thanks, Jer. :) Sorry your LT was so messed up. :(
I have an LT muskrat, too, that I like just fine. They're linerless, which I guess is supposed to make them lighter than a similar model with liners and bone, but the Zytel is such a "generous" slab on each side that I'm sure the LT versions are thicker than the bone versions. Here's a pic of my two Case Calibers together:
calpair.allopen.indoor.jpg
and a pic of the muskrat tang stamp, since it's my favorite Case "model number". ;)
musk.tang.model.jpg

Also a fan of the x347 Stockman. I think I have more of them than I need :)

Here are some:

NX0loej.jpg

I know I have two more of them not pictured, if not more.

The Yeller one is CV. I carry and use that Amber Bone at the top a lot.

Middle one was the Slanted and Fluted Stag, first run. Which was also the only run. :)
Those are some grand x347s, John! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Here's the one I was "forced" to buy that opened my eyes to the quality of the pattern. I think it's called some kind of sawcut bone.
sawcut.mark.3open.out.jpg

- GT

Thanks, Jer. :) Sorry your LT was so messed up. :(
I have an LT muskrat, too, that I like just fine. They're linerless, which I guess is supposed to make them lighter than a similar model with liners and bone, but the Zytel is such a "generous" slab on each side that I'm sure the LT versions are thicker than the bone versions.
Nice. I've thought mine unnecessarily bulky, but you could say it fills the hand well.

Back