"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I"ll pass on the Miller.
Miller can be packaged in clear glass bottles because they upped the preservative concentration enough that Miller beer won't degrade in the light. They stomped all over the 1516 purity act.
Being a German myself I can only agree with you.

Gerd

Didn't take long to find. I think you will enjoy McManus's style, more than one of his short stories is sure to be true LOL reading. Let me know what you think.
It got here today. I like him. At first glance he reminds me of Bill Heavey in the back of Field and Stream magazine.
4cw8tq0.jpg

I tried to get this heron to pose for a picture with my knife, but he wouldn’t cooperate.

Here he is by himself:

This large sycamore did obligingly sit still to have its picture taken:

That knife is 9” long when open. A cell phone camera, in the hands of a lousy photographer, really can’t capture a sense of how big this tree is.

I always find that hunched look Herons have to be amusing. Then the contrast to seeing them with neck extended! Very good pix.

I tried to get this heron to pose for a picture with my knife, but he wouldn’t cooperate.

Here he is by himself:

Tom, here's how I impose order on my environment: separate photos, then paste one onto the other, and everyone seems to cooperate. The result isn't pretty, but neither am I. :D (Your shot of the heron standing on its own reflection is splendid! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:)
heron.with.fishknife.jpg

- GT

Just thinking how nice it is we have this friendly little corner of the Internet where people from various walks of life, countries of origin, countries of residence, genders, backgrounds, interests, professions, and religions or lack of any of the before-mentioned, all can gather and have pleasant chats about shared common interests and learn new things from each other in a generally accepting, friendly, relaxed setting.

Would be great if a lot more of world was like this little "porch" we have here.

To adapt a line from the tiger scene in Apocalypse Now: Never get off of the Porch! Never get off of the Porch! I gotta remember... never get off of the Porch!

Edit:
:thumbsup::thumbsup: To the post above mine. Thank you jc57 jc57 , that is a sentiment I really needed to hear expressed right now.

Last edited:
It got here today. I like him. At first glance he reminds me of Bill Heavey in the back of Field and Stream magazine.
4cw8tq0.jpg
I might be mistooken, but I believe Pat wrote for Field and Stream (or was it 'OUTDOOR LIFE'? Was one of the two) in the 1960's and 70's. "The Last Laugh' was his article title, always in the back of the magazine.
I used to have all his books. Unfortunately, I loaned them to my youngest brother, and never saw them again. :( He loaned them to a friend of his, and never saw them again either. :(
(don't loan his books to anyone, and don't read in bed -- your "better half" might put you on the sofa so she can sleep.

My new Anti-Covid mask arrived today. What y'all think? :D
View attachment 1490222
(works with full beard, so I don't need to shave it off. :D )

Last edited:
Just thinking how nice it is we have this friendly little corner of the Internet where people from various walks of life, countries of origin, countries of residence, genders, backgrounds, interests, professions, and religions or lack of any of the before-mentioned, all can gather and have pleasant chats about shared common interests and learn new things from each other in a generally accepting, friendly, relaxed setting.

Would be great if a lot more of world was like this little "porch" we have here.
Well said. We all need a porch right now. I'm thankful for this one.

To adapt a line from the tiger scene in Apocalypse Now: Never get off of the Porch! Never get off of the Porch! I gotta remember... never get off of the Porch!

Edit:
:thumbsup::thumbsup: To the post above mine. Thank you jc57 jc57 , that is a sentiment I really needed to hear expressed right now.

Very true, I wondered off The Porch briefly the other night, and it was a horrifying experience! :eek: o_O :thumbsup:

Jack,

Do you mean "i wandered off"?
I ask that because i wonder if, sometimes, may be often, my english is wandering in a British fog.

Dan.

Sorry Dan, I made that post on my phone, which keeps interfering with my spelling in a most negative and irritating fashion o_O :rolleyes: Sorry for the confusion :thumbsup:

Sorry Dan, I made that post on my phone, which keeps interfering with my spelling in a most negative and irritating fashion o_O :rolleyes: Sorry for the confusion :thumbsup:

No problem Jack, those so said smart phones do what they want! As i've tried to learn English more by listening than by reading i often... wander, i mean...wonder.

Dan.

No problem Jack, those so said smart phones do what they want! As i've tried to learn English more by listening than by reading i often... wander, i mean...wonder.

Dan.

LOL! :D Often it substitutes words which just don't make sense o_O Your English is better than many native-speakers my friend, and I think that is the better way to learn it :) :thumbsup:

LOL! :D Often it substitutes words which just don't make sense o_O Your English is better than many native-speakers my friend, and I think that is the better way to learn it :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack,
I've spent, back in the seventies, so much time at listening the BBC and at travelling in Scotland, Wales, Ireland and Yorkshire that i could, understandably, order a pint of beer while keeping a Player's Navy Cut on my lips! Not that easy.

Dan

Back