"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

This trike is helping my life move
Sound of siren 2 whoops
Cop car loudhailer:
"Hey Hey HEY Slow it down there Buddy...where's the fire"
Speaking into radio mic:
"Yeah we gotta 10.140...requesting back up..this guy looks like a real bandido...better send the chopper ,mounted patrol and the dog squad....Roger that ..hes makin a run for the street...damn that thing can move! Looks like we might need Sherriff John Bunnell...to
Trounce that Tricky Troublesome Treadling Triker"
Charlie I love your Trike.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D

The rule of thumb I learned was to set the seat so the knee is straight with the heel on the pedal. This leaves just a bit of flex with the ball of the foot on the pedal.
My understanding exactly, Henry!!
Thx!!:cool:

20210117-102455.jpg

The ball bearing races for rear wheels made an insane grinding noise as you went honking down the hill ...jam on the wooden brake and commence a spinout ...of epic scale.

waynorth waynorth Charlie check this out.
A full traditional bulb horn audible warning device...in 85 when I joined the fire brigade we were taught that 3 blasts on one of these meant General Assembly....in other words get the f%%k out its coming down!!
Too bad if you didnt happen to hear it ...
It has an annoyance value of about 86%...depending on usage...with uneccesary blasts it could get up near the annoyance level of children playing beepy games on ipads n that.....yours if wou want it my Friend.
20210117-175526.gif

Claxton horns are annoying. I have one out in the garage somewhere.

We had a little spire with a cross on top that came off a pipe-organ case. Dad wouldn't let me use it as a seat-back on my go-cart. Maybe if I'd used the go-cart only in church while singing hymns- I didn't think of that at the time. The stairs at church would have been a bumpy ride, but I'd have been cutting a swath like Herman Munster.

waynorth waynorth Charlie check this out.
A full traditional bulb horn audible warning device...in 85 when I joined the fire brigade we were taught that 3 blasts on one of these meant General Assembly....in other words get the f%%k out its coming down!!
Too bad if you didnt happen to hear it ...
It has an annoyance value of about 86%...depending on usage...with uneccesary blasts it could get up near the annoyance level of children playing beepy games on ipads n that.....yours if wou want it my Friend.
20210117-175526.gif
If I saw you coming at me honking that thing, I'd surely get out of the way!:eek:

meako meako I actually have one a them horns on my trike. (and a ding-a-ling bell that matches the cup/bottle holder) :D
Kinda funny when the horn (or bell) sounds and the person in front of you jumps higher than the nearby buildings and trees. :D
( meako meako , @r8shell, yes, they all "jump higher than the buildings and trees", seeing as how buildings and trees can't jump. :) )

New Mud Hole catalog came in .... well ... O.K. ... was delivered by the Staffette .... today.

So much for building my own freshwater fishin' pole. Even using the lowest cost components, I could buy three ... maybe 4 .... comparable Shakespeare "Ugly Sticks", plus one or two large pizza and a 2 liter of real, genuine Mountain Dew, and still have some coins left over.

My sincere apologies to the fishing purists. I like the Ugly Sticks. I don't think they (quote/unquote) "cast like a power pole", and I've never had any issues with mine over the ... decades. Admittedly, I've never been able to try an Orvis, St. Croix, Lamiglass, Tsunami, or other top brand rod. I refuse to give ////gag////shudder//// Shimano ////shudder////gag////shudder/// the time a day, let alone any of my hard earned funds back when I had some. However, the cheap Ugly Sticks (and my obsolete got one bearing at most vintage Mitchell 300/302 spinning reels) seem to land just as many fish as the "high end" rods and reels. (even the older than me mitchell 300 my pops gave me, has never needed more than a replacement bail spring. I keep a few extra in my tackle box. Depending on use, they break once every season/year or two. Atta buck or less, and a couple minutes to change, why not?

For me, at least, the ... "inexpensive"... rods, and my haddum for 4 to 6 decades they still work why "upgrade"/get new reels leaves me with more funds to blow on a fishing license, bait, line, and lures/jigs. :)
(live bait I like crawdads and shad best. if I don't catch any fish, I can take the "extra" bait home, then cook and eat it for supper. :D)

oh, if you are unaware, crawdad is freshwater lobster. There been a time or three I'd buy 4 err 5 pounds a live large crawdad from the bait shop, and just go home and cook em'.
One of the bait shops I frequented when I lived in Missouri, even sold the spices to mix in the crawdad cooking water. A inexpensive lobster dinner. :)

Last edited:
We called them crayfish.
When I posted my Ron Popiel fishin' magician, somebody mentioned an experiment where a Barbie fishing rod-and-reel caught more fish than a serious set-up.

When I was a kid, we couldn't afford string to put on our sticks, never mind hooks to put on our strings. We used to jump on the fish and bite them.

oh, if you are unaware, crawdad is freshwater lobster. There been a time or three I'd buy 4 err 5 pounds a live large crawdad from the bait shop, and just go home and cook em'.
One of the bait shops I frequented when I lived in Missouri, even sold the spices to mix in the crawdad cooking water. A inexpensive lobster dinner. :)

We called them crayfish.

We called ‘em crawfish (split the difference, I guess). :D I’m pretty sure that was a question on the dialect quiz (discussed previously here, and again starting here).

…somebody mentioned an experiment where a Barbie fishing rod-and-reel caught more fish than a serious set-up.

While I’m certain that could be done (depending on the type of fishing you’re doing), I’ll tell you from experience that it’s a lot more frustrating than using a proper rod and reel. ;) When I bought Eleanor a fishing pole a couple years ago, I was able to talk her out of the cheap-o Disney character models and got her a little Zebco Dock Demon instead. The first time I took her fishing for panfish, we only brought along her rod. She had fun, but was too small to do much of the actual fishing. After about 5 minutes of fishing with that little Zebco, I was wishing I had brought along a regular sized rod and reel, too. :D

The big auction site never ceases to be a source of entertainment... I saw someone was auctioning a "Vintage Rare 1997 Red Sharpie Marker" that is in "very good condition used lightly only a handful of times" :D Starting bid of $10 with $3 shipping :rolleyes: I think most people only use their Sharpie a handful of times before you lose it and buy a new pack LoL

For about six months I was growing a chin beard, kind of goatee but no moustache. Just now I got rid of the damned thing, YES! It itched most of the time-not helped by me pulling it- but how on earth a full face beard would feel :eek: Then it seemed to need lot of trimming to avoid an unkempt look:rolleyes: strategic shaving etc. Perhaps it's like the patina thing;) I'll start all over again tomorrow...not.

fG4I1nc.jpg

Back