"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I don’t miss roll up Windows but it’s true that the Window motor never went out on them!
Unless you count replacing a broken handle with one of these.
84-810_1.jpg

It makes sense to me. We like the things that are fun or useful to us, and the rest is just extra complications and inconvenience.
I was disappointed I couldn't find a new car with automatic transmission, but roll-up windows.

I miss roll-up windows. :confused:
And the pull knob for headlights.
I miss the roll-up windows too. And the old vents in the front windows. I hate the touch screen radio. :grumpy:

My previous car was a Mazda6 and manual transmission was a must that I would not compromise, however it was not even an option on my current Outback. With the Mazda, the dealer said something like 4% at the time were manuals, and mine had to be delivered to me from Nashville to Atlanta. So there wasn’t one available in the city, ugh. Other thing is the center display is the size of an iPad. Climate control and AC is an ordeal that involves sub-menus sometimes. I needed the owners manual to set the clock right — it’s not changing the hour, it‘s turning daylight savings on and off. SMH.

Climate control and AC is an ordeal that involves sub-menus sometimes. I needed the owners manual to set the clock right — it’s not changing the hour, it‘s turning daylight savings on and off. SMH.
My current phone’s instruction book covers so many peripheral features it doesn’t get around to telling you how to make a phone call until page 59.

Here in Europe we're backward.....;)

I still LIKE manual gearboxes but even here they're becoming more difficult to spec new (despite higher fuel consumption and higher CO2 emissionso_O) bear in mind our fuel costs too. 98 octane (don't you American still use some low octane 87 stuff???) is 1.72€ a litre today and rising due to Greengaslighting. What I dislike in contemporary cars is the absence of a PROPER manual handbrake, those electric switches are crap for hill starts- you can't feel the clutch & engine biting.

Wind up windows? No thanks, next it will be those windscreens that open out 🙀 before even MY time (except Citroen 2CVs) Never had an electric winder motor fail on a Japanese made car, but on European ones yeah...VW = electric failures forever....and not cheap to fix.:poop:

And the little triangle vent windows! :cool:

Quarterlights? The car thief's gateway :eek: Give me modern auto AC.

Another thing I don't miss, those high beam dip switches on the floor- got dazzled once going up hill and needed to change down gear, hit the dip pedal instead of the clutch- the gearbox disliked that 💩

Mind you, I had some cars when young (2000 years ago) that actually had crank handles- no need for jump starts if the battery was flat 🦖 but mind your hand when using it, compression😜

...I'm not sure I want a car controlled by my phone. The rise of the machines is surely imminent 🤖
SKYNET is coming...
...I don’t want a car that nags.
I've had nightmares about self-driving cars and not being able to take back control. :eek:

My friend and I have an ongoing conversation where we discuss how we are morphing into the people from WALL-E, the ones who live in a recliner being fed a constant stream of advertisements, food, and drink.

iu

It seems that we have an obsession with everything constantly getting easier and easier for us. The day that I can't be bothered to turn a key is the day I stop driving...
In 1900 man's knowledge doubled every 100 years.
In 2000 man's knowledge doubled every 2 years.
In 2021 IBM announced man's knowledge is doubling every 12 hours
How is it man doesn't seem to be getting any smarter??? 🙃

It took me ages to work out how to pist my youtube flipper mocking video...only in time for the thread to be locked....now I hate flipper bashing more than flippers....rassen fassen scrassen ...🤨😝🐬

It took me ages to work out how to pist my youtube flipper mocking video...only in time for the thread to be locked....now I hate flipper bashing more than flippers....rassen fassen scrassen ...🤨😝🐬
Got a link? Where did you post it?

Last edited:
Back