"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Order them "on the side" use what you want and give the rest to the cat. 😺👍
😾 The Cat here won't touch fish out of cans with oil, anchovy, sardine, tuna etc but she certainly relishes LIVE fish if she can get hold of one 😻 but I'm not sure live fish with spaghetti might be to many peoples' taste....probably the late Anthony Bourdain would've been up for it.

Shark's Fin

AVjUwLH.jpg

Last edited:
Er. she has been known to visit ponds and do bit of her own fishing....:p some kids had some live fish they'd caught and one flopped on the ground, it was immediately pounced on..she likes fishing for frogs too. Then there's poor lizards and not so poor snakes....

Cats are very discriminatory/ finicky :rolleyes: She wolfs raw meat of most types:pork, beef, lamb, venison. white fish yes, salmon not at all, liver won't touch it, commercial cat food not much liked at all except dry cat biscuits.

Will Power Will Power
^^^ Sounds like an cat that knows what she wants. Intelligent too, preferring white fish over salmon and no liver. ;)
I would hope she has no interest in anything in the finch family. 😨🪶

I have no cat policy in my garden...I prefer birds and lizards and snakes...even the bandicoot who digs holes in the grass ....its the hose for any felonious feline I bust ....the neighbours over the back have 4 cats....one came over for a business trip the other day.....i doubt it will be back....after the orchid drencher went on...🙀😿

I have no cat policy in my garden...I prefer birds and lizards and snakes...even the bandicoot who digs holes in the grass ....its the hose for any felonious feline I bust ....the neighbours over the back have 4 cats....one came over for a business trip the other day.....i doubt it will be back....after the orchid drencher went on...🙀😿
I welcome my neighbor's cat in my yard and around my out buildings. He eats mice 🍳😺

Will Power Will Power
^^^ Sounds like an cat that knows what she wants. Intelligent too, preferring white fish over salmon and no liver. ;)
I would hope she has no interest in anything in the finch family. 😨🪶
I share her preference for Whitefish over Salmon, but I do like good Smoked Salmon plus horseradish. As for Liver...:eek:BARF! Or any of that internal organ muck- kidney, brain, bowel, sweetbreads, tongue, hoof & horn (the latter are for knife handles :cool:)

Finches ;) seem safe in the garden, plenty of Gold, Green, Brambling, Siskin, Bullfinch, Chaffinch, and even the ultra shy Hawfinch

Another oddity of her behaviour, she leaves birds alone if they're on the ground but enjoys trying to catch them in flight but I'm not sure she's succeeded in that, bats she never notices fortunately. But Squirrels...😆 All in all she's an ally when you have an old place in the country with sheds where hordes of rodents lurk/lurked...

Will Power Will Power
She a beautiful asset to your country estate with excellent dietary preferences and entertaining hunting practices. Salmon for breakfast, whitefish or cod for lunch and pan fish for dinner sounds about right for me. No organ meat, reptiles or rodents of any kind period!!!
Have a peaceful night, knowing your feline friend has the critter situation under control. :)

😾 The Cat here won't touch fish out of cans with oil, anchovy, sardine, tuna etc but she certainly relishes LIVE fish if she can get hold of one 😻 but I'm not sure live fish with spaghetti might be to many peoples' taste....probably the late Anthony Bourdain would've been up for it.

Shark's Fin

AVjUwLH.jpg
I like the tabby cats. Cool creatures. I’m a discriminating cat lover. Those long haired fur ball puking cats are just not for me. Stripes and spots, killin mice and bugs…fun to watch them pounce. Or slowly torture a moth or a June bug on a warm night batting it about.
When my son was very young there was a neighbor that had a Siamese that roamed the neighborhood. I think they moved away and left it. It went into heat and decided to howl outside his window some nights. Kept us all awake. So I got a trap. Baited it with a can of sardines or oysters I forget and sure enough the next day there she is staring at me from inside the cage. Pissed. Hissing and spraying. I drove the trap a block away and let her out. Thought maybe she would go somewhere else to howl. Next night she is back and the same howling right outside the window. Set the trap again. Caught the cat again. No tag I could see and I wasn’t about to get shredded up checking so off to the pound. She is bucking and going nuts when I load the trap in the truck this time so I put a furniture blanket over it and drive over to the animal pound. There is like no parking right up front and I don’t want to carry the hissy fit kitty in the cage trap so I double park and set the cage on the pavement in front of the door where this family is waiting to look at dogs or something and say hey I’m gonna park my truck be right back. They nod…kinda…and I go park the truck. I come waking up and this kid from the family is poking some twig he found into the cage and the cat is going ballistic. I yell at him to leave MY cat alone and scowl at the parents and take the kitty inside and surrender it. It was the most beautiful Siamese I ever saw and I am not much for them. Too bad someone abandoned it or maybe it was a feral. Don’t know. But I would be damned if I was gonna let some unruly kid mess with it before it went to the kennel to await an untimely demise. I doubt anyone was going to adopt that fierce spraying howling creature.
While I’m prattling on about cats my wife used to trap feral kittens and socialize them. Lock em alone in a room with a litter box and some food and no contact other than a person coming in an out and two days later they want to be your best friend most of the time. Have a cat now from that practice. Son got attached to one and we let him keep it. It follows him everywhere. Thinks it’s a dog.

cats-2-8-DF40-DD0-EA4-D-11-E3-941-F005056-A302-E6.jpg

Not my pic...but feral cats are a very serious problem in this country...which has no native cat species...but plenty of food for an efficient and hardy predator...there are fully wild populations.
Very destructive...and yes its our fault.
Search em up and have a look...

meako meako
Jon, I've heard reports of feral cats becoming a problem in some cities nearby. With hunting in cities (appropriately) not allowed some people have taken it upon themselves to trap, transport to the local human society, who neuters them (at no cost) and then returns them back to the area in which they were trapped. 😵😵😵

cats-2-8-DF40-DD0-EA4-D-11-E3-941-F005056-A302-E6.jpg

Not my pic...but feral cats are a very serious problem in this country...which has no native cat species...but plenty of food for an efficient and hardy predator...there are fully wild populations.
Very destructive...and yes its our fault.
Search em up and have a look...
Holy...that is a big cat...

Yeah feral cats suck. I spent a month in Greece in the early 90s and they were thick as fleas. I heard in Rome in the late 1800s the feral cats got so bad they were attacking people walking through the coliseum at night. They had remove all the overgrown foliage to get them out of there. I had an old 3/4 leather book by a horticultural artist that illustrated and documented the plants that were growing there as a result from the seeds that had fallen off the exotic animals brought there by the Romans before they cleared them out.
One of my quail spots was decimated by feral cats a homeowner nearby was feeding. Sucked. Used to get a lot of birds there now no more :(

I've heard of stray cats before but didn't realize feral cats were a 'problem' as described. I have two cats of my own and they act like feral time to time 😅

Just googled it and there was an article by National Geo in 2004 about the growing problem in US...

We've got a some feral cats around our area. My next door neighbor puts out bowls of milk for them on her deck, and I shoot them with a pellet gun when they come looking for song birds for dessert in my yard.

We've got a some feral cats around our area. My next door neighbor puts out bowls of milk for them on her deck, and I shoot them with a pellet gun when they come looking for song birds for dessert in my yard.
A former neighbour of mine started feeding some feral cats, within days there were 15 of them, and then a bunch of them had kittens. There were probably 40 or 50 cats by the end of the summer. Eventually, a lady from the local cat shelter came along with a basket every week, and one by one took them away. My prayers were answered when they eventually came and took my stupid neighbour away too! :D

Back