"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

8MnlFLw.jpg
That's a really cool picture.
It's hard to get a good picture of the moon too.

That's a really cool picture.
It's hard to get a good picture of the moon too.
Thanks John. It was a lucky shot. As so many are. It was rising fast, so I didn’t have time to set up my tripod. I think it was at 20x zoom on my little Panasonic Lumix. I leaned into a door jamb, held and realesed my breath, pushed the shutter button, like I was at the target range. Still mostly dumb luck.

Not getting an email back as soon as they ordered has certainly given some of those folks something to talk about...at length! A shame they can't contribute a few more posts about traditional knives :rolleyes:
I did not get an email but figured it will sort itself out. I paid my money I’m sure it will show up. I didn’t post about it tho maybe I should have…to get up my post count😂JohnDFs post made me spit out my tea…classic.
I want to see more wildlife pics…I’m realizing all of mine have dead animals in them.😯

And speaking of knives I have been carrying the same knife for about a month now. I feel like I’m over the withdrawals and just twinge cravings when I see my other knives. It’s been a conscious effort to stick to one piece. It used to be so easy…696272B9-4FAE-475C-95CA-7F085EB5827E.jpeg

And speaking of knives I have been carrying the same knife for about a month now. I feel like I’m over the withdrawals and just twinge cravings when I see my other knives. It’s been a conscious effort to stick to one piece. It used to be so easy…
That's a beaut for sure. But you're a better man than I am if you can stick to one knife for a month. I sometimes don't even go a full day with the same knives. (Working from home, so the temptation is always just two doors down the hall from where I'm working. )

Not getting an email back as soon as they ordered has certainly given some of those folks something to talk about...at length! A shame they can't contribute a few more posts about traditional knives :rolleyes:
Emails are an odd subject for them to go on and on about on a knife forum!

And speaking of knives I have been carrying the same knife for about a month now. I feel like I’m over the withdrawals and just twinge cravings when I see my other knives. It’s been a conscious effort to stick to one piece. It used to be so easy…

That's a beaut for sure. But you're a better man than I am if you can stick to one knife for a month. I sometimes don't even go a full day with the same knives. (Working from home, so the temptation is always just two doors down the hall from where I'm working. )
I have the opposite problem.

I work from home now too, and probably a couple of times a day I will fish a knife out of the drawer, admire it, check to see if it is sharp, and maybe put it on the dresser with my keys and wallet, but I can never bring myself to take the Okapi 907E ratchet knife out of my pocket and carry something else instead. It has been about a year now.

I still use some of my other knives from time to time, and I’m not ready to give them all away just yet. I think they will just have to remain mostly as a collection, and I will have to reluctantly admit to myself that I have become, if not an outright collector, then at least something of a knife-hoarder. At last count I have 77…

That's a beaut for sure. But you're a better man than I am if you can stick to one knife for a month. I sometimes don't even go a full day with the same knives.
My solution... I have one knife that I carry every day, and then add another one that can change every day, hour, or minute. :)

I've been Totin' this one for a long time now....

I stumbled upon a little stag handle fixed blade by Gene Shadley a while ago. Everyone has seen Gene's slip joints but he also turns out a nice little fixed blade. A couple of Texas Hill Country gentleman are tweaking it a little. Paul Long of Kerrville, TX made a new sheath for it and it is currently in the hands of Terry Theis of Harper, TX who is doing some of his hammer and chisel engraving on the bolster. Should have back soon. I'll post a picture or two when it comes home.

(knife talk :D)
I don't know what took me so long to check out "The Lounge," I've been scrolling past it for years. But yesterday I took refuge in here when things started getting hectic with forum knife spamming and necrotic thread revival. I haven't quite finished reading all 30,000 posts here yet but I was delighted to come across on the very first page a mention of Gene Shadley, and not only that but specifically his fixed blades. Gene is pretty well-known for his custom slipjoints, sadly I have none of those fine pieces, but I am lucky enough to have two of his fixed blades so I got this out to share.

image (15).jpg

It's a double-edge dagger, O1 blade steel, bocote handle, made by Gene in 1989. The COA states that it's #151 in his running total of knives produced and, as you can see from the hand-written note in the picture, his first double hollow ground. I grew up in northern MN, just a few miles away from Gene. My dad bought the knife at a gun show in town in 1990, but the collector with the table at the show didn't have the sheath for it at the time, so Gene sent it to him later along with the note.

I don't know what took me so long to check out "The Lounge," I've been scrolling past it for years. But yesterday I took refuge in here when things started getting hectic with forum knife spamming and necrotic thread revival. I haven't quite finished reading all 30,000 posts here yet but I was delighted to come across on the very first page a mention of Gene Shadley, and not only that but specifically his fixed blades. Gene is pretty well-known for his custom slipjoints, sadly I have none of those fine pieces, but I am lucky enough to have two of his fixed blades so I got this out to share.

View attachment 1645575

It's a double-edge dagger, O1 blade steel, bocote handle, made by Gene in 1989. The COA states that it's #151 in his running total of knives produced and, as you can see from the hand-written note in the picture, his first double hollow ground. I grew up in northern MN, just a few miles away from Gene. My dad bought the knife at a gun show in town in 1990, but the collector with the table at the show didn't have the sheath for it at the time, so Gene sent it to him later along with the note.
I've always admired Gene's work. That's a nice piece you have.

I like your pics mbkr mbkr I live about 100 miles north of there so I'm blessed with such views regularly. Photography seems to be a popular "off-topic" share in the Lounge, I'll have to dig out some pics I took earlier this summer of grizzlies gorging on salmon. Fun to see shots from the film days, I bet you didn't even take those with your phone! :)

My project ficus is pumping away new growth…even though the dogs got at it last week and I had to cage it!
Got a new houseplant for the house the other day. Ming aralia. Like 20 bucks. Trimmed, put in a proper pot…wife was very happy. Love this little plant…but I just love plants.
Being stuck in the big city I gotta bring the nature to my place via the pot and the hose.
9DF72D49-BC08-449D-AC33-22D9B5959DDC.jpegB8A67512-C83E-402E-8A58-5CAD234298C3.jpeg

Back