"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I like your pics mbkr mbkr I live about 100 miles north of there so I'm blessed with such views regularly. Photography seems to be a popular "off-topic" share in the Lounge, I'll have to dig out some pics I took earlier this summer of grizzlies gorging on salmon. Fun to see shots from the film days, I bet you didn't even take those with your phone! :)
Thanks :) You live in a beautiful place. Getting close to Fairbanks?
The only pic I have from Fairbanks :rolleyes:
12 Fairbanks Harley dealer 001.jpg
I was using a Nikon 8008 35mm SLR. Had different lenses and everything :D

I saw so many grizzlies in Denali, I stopped counting at 10. I'm not sure I would want to camp in the back country there 😲
Got to see Denali (McKinley at the time) which was worthwhile.
Mt. Mckinley small.jpg
Saw it again from my friend's plane. We were down around Palmer, so maybe 200 miles away?

47 Mt. McKinley small.jpg
34 Craig's Plane small.jpg

I still don't know where my tiny hatchets are, but I found some of my adjustable wrenches and a few slightly related objects.
fjVIDej.jpg

Thanks :) You live in a beautiful place. Getting close to Fairbanks?
The only pic I have from Fairbanks :rolleyes:
View attachment 1646615
I was using a Nikon 8008 35mm SLR. Had different lenses and everything :D

I saw so many grizzlies in Denali, I stopped counting at 10. I'm not sure I would want to camp in the back country there 😲
Got to see Denali (McKinley at the time) which was worthwhile.
View attachment 1646628
Saw it again from my friend's plane. We were down around Palmer, so maybe 200 miles away?

View attachment 1646629
View attachment 1646630

Yes, Fairbanks :thumbsup: You made my morning with that pic of the old HD Outpost! The Outpost is still here, but it doesn't look like that anymore (pic from Google):
image (18).jpg

*sigh* progress. I'm glad you got to see Denali, the majority of visitors do not-- she's pretty moody and likes to cloak herself in weather. Especially great that you got to take in the views from a small plane, it's the best way to see AK! Often the only way, since we have so few roads :)

Funny that you were using an 8008, I'm a Nikon guy too. My first SLR was the 8008s, I believe the "s" models were the mid-cycle update with a few tweaks. I still have that camera, but haven't run a roll of film through it in a long long time. With some fresh batteries I bet it would work just as well as the day I set it down twenty years ago!

Last edited:
Yes, Fairbanks :thumbsup: You made my morning with that pic of the old HD Outpost! The Outpost is still here, but it doesn't look like that anymore (pic from Google):
View attachment 1646804

*sigh* progress. I'm glad you got to see Denali, the majority of visitors do not-- she's pretty moody and likes to cloak herself in weather. Especially great that you got to take in the views from a small plane, it's the best way to see AK! Often the only way, since we have so few roads :)

Funny that you were using an 8008, I'm a Nikon guy too. My first SLR was the 8008s, I believe the "s" models were the mid-cycle update with a few tweaks. I still have that camera, but haven't run a roll of film through it in a long long time. With some fresh batteries I bet it would work just as well as the day I set down twenty years ago!
My 8008 did not survive the trip :confused: It made it almost all the way back to KC because I have pics from South Dakota from the return, but sometime after that I discovered it had quit working. When I got back I had two weeks to find a new place to live in a different town, move, and start a new job, so it got packed away. A couple of years later I tried to get it fixed, but was informed by Nikon that the necessary part was no longer available :( I sold the lenses and flash. Might still have the body around here somewhere.

When I posted that pic of the HD dealer in Fairbanks, I thought, "I bet it doesn't look like that anymore." Lost some charm and class if ya ask me. :D

I was thrilled to get to see Denali, not just once, but twice. It clouded over before I left the park that day, so right place and the right time :thumbsup:

My 8008 did not survive the trip :confused: It made it almost all the way back to KC because I have pics from South Dakota from the return, but sometime after that I discovered it had quit working. When I got back I had two weeks to find a new place to live in a different town, move, and start a new job, so it got packed away. A couple of years later I tried to get it fixed, but was informed by Nikon that the necessary part was no longer available :( I sold the lenses and flash. Might still have the body around here somewhere.

When I posted that pic of the HD dealer in Fairbanks, I thought, "I bet it doesn't look like that anymore." Lost some charm and class if ya ask me. :D

I was thrilled to get to see Denali, not just once, but twice. It clouded over before I left the park that day, so right place and the right time :thumbsup:

Oh man that's a bummer about your camera. You'd be hard pressed to find ANYONE who could work on it these days. I don't believe we have a single camera shop left in Fairbanks, not even (dedicated camera) retail stores, let alone repair shops. Of course, we are the end of the road so there's probably someone out there somewhere, but it's practically a lost art.

The Outpost still has lots of fun toys inside, but I'd agree the outside has lost approximately 100% of it's former charm. I finished building a "treehouse" for my kids this summer ("tree" in quotes because we don't actually have any trees big enough, it's just a playhouse on stilts) and I used the exact same style of siding as the old Outpost building. I love that "live edge" look. These are slabs cut from local spruce:

image (20).jpg

I'm at home and just took this snap (with my phone, naturally :rolleyes:) from our deck. Time-stamped with snow, it wasn't white until this morning :)

Oh man that's a bummer about your camera. You'd be hard pressed to find ANYONE who could work on it these days. I don't believe we have a single camera shop left in Fairbanks, not even (dedicated camera) retail stores, let alone repair shops. Of course, we are the end of the road so there's probably someone out there somewhere, but it's practically a lost art.

The Outpost still has lots of fun toys inside, but I'd agree the outside has lost approximately 100% of it's former charm. I finished building a "treehouse" for my kids this summer ("tree" in quotes because we don't actually have any trees big enough, it's just a playhouse on stilts) and I used the exact same style of siding as the old Outpost building. I love that "live edge" look. These are slabs cut from local spruce:

View attachment 1646928

I'm at home and just took this snap (with my phone, naturally :rolleyes:) from our deck. Time-stamped with snow, it wasn't white until this morning :)
My dad built us a “fort” on stilts when we were kids. Still think about it to this day and it wasn’t half that cool. You’re kids are going to remember that tree house for the rest of their lives. Awesome beezwax!
😎👍

My dad built us a “fort” on stilts when we were kids. Still think about it to this day and it wasn’t half that cool. You’re kids are going to remember that tree house for the rest of their lives. Awesome beezwax!
😎👍

Appreciate you saying that, I really hope it proves to be the case. I've got two boys, 6 & 10 now, and I spent most of my free time over the last couple summers on that dang thing. Even sacrificed an ankle for it (broken) last year when I took a dive off some scaffolding. So I'm of a mind to move them into it permanently so they have more time to marvel at how awesome it is 😆

View attachment 1646928

Wow, that's one heck of a tree house :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am so not ready for snow 🥶

Back