"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Yes. Its a1988.
I have lusted after an r60 for decades…nice bike. Nothing like a bmw motorcycle for a classy and comfortable…and nowadays nostalgic ride. When I was younger I had a Yamaha 650 special with a windshield and a kick/electric start. My buddies who rode laughed at my windshield but I was a messenger for about a year and it helped a lot and I loved it. Then I had a 750 virago belt drive. Now I have a 1974 Honda xl250 enduro in the garage but it’s just a put put put summer camp trail bike.

I have lusted after an r60 for decades…nice bike. Nothing like a bmw motorcycle for a classy and comfortable…and nowadays nostalgic ride. When I was younger I had a Yamaha 650 special with a windshield and a kick/electric start. My buddies who rode laughed at my windshield but I was a messenger for about a year and it helped a lot and I loved it. Then I had a 750 virago belt drive. Now I have a 1974 Honda xl250 enduro in the garage but it’s just a put put put summer camp trail bike.
I too had a Yamaha XS650 back in the early eighties and I sold a '75 Honda XL350 last summer. Several bikes have come and gone, but the BMW just keeps hanging around. Here's a pic from a couple of weeks ago at Little Dixie Lake.
LtlDixie 9-2-21.JPG

I loved my 650 Yamaha. An 08 model drive shaft bike. Also had a 1500 Kawasaki 08 model Vulcan with drive shaft. I guess I liked drive shafts rather than chains or belts. Arthritis and bum left leg made me quit riding in 17- I miss it.

I loved my 650 Yamaha. An 08 model drive shaft bike. Also had a 1500 Kawasaki 08 model Vulcan with drive shaft. I guess I liked drive shafts rather than chains or belts. Arthritis and bum left leg made me quit riding in 17- I miss it.
Bummer you had to quit riding :( Almost everybody ages out of the sport if you live long enough. At 61, I'm hopeful for a few more years at a minimum.

Well, I made it to 72 when the osteo arthritis demanded I get a knee replacement. Got that done then it got into my hands. I like to carve wood too, and it don't help with the painful weakened hands and fingers. I'm 77 now and dealing with it. I still carve but not as much or for as long. I can still shoot some but have to be real careful with revolvers,. The autos with flat grips are more manageable for me. Rifles not a huge problem yet. Life is good if You let it be.

My R60 was a favorite ride for years. Very satisfying to ride, and reasonably quick on back roads if you cultivate a style that gives up road speed only grudgingly. That bike has reverted to project status now, probably to become somebody else’s project.

I never owned a GS, or G/S, but I put 200,000 miles on a /5 that wore many hats over the years including a vintage motocross and a vintage trial (one clean section, one 5 when the cylinders would not pass between a couple of trees, and quite a few 3s).

First bmw I saw that really got me was an r/50…I remember that moment. I was like 18 and riding shotgun in a truck going north on pacific coast hwy to surf up north of Malibu and this guy pulls up along side us on one. Young guy and I look over and ask him what kind of bike and he tells me…and then says ‘loads of fun you should try one sometime’ and that was it. After that I was always noticing the vintage bmws. Single seat configuration looked so cool. Something like this one I found on the net. Nowadays they are just too much money. Like even for a basket case…maybe I will sell some toys and try to find a project.
20887563-DBF5-4DCD-A41B-B6042EFB76F0.jpeg

My mailbox was thrown around a bit by Ida a month or so ago, and I haven't had a chance to stand it back up. Got a tracking number for a knife coming in on Wednesday, and you better believe I'll be cobbling that thing back together this weekend. 😆

I'll see your curved adjustables and raise ya coupla twisted monkeys. Call!

View attachment 1646852
I still don't know where my tiny hatchets are, but I found some of my adjustable wrenches and a few slightly related objects.
fjVIDej.jpg
I'll see your curved adjustables and raise ya coupla twisted monkeys. Call!

View attachment 1646852

How about these two. The 69 (4") is the smallest of the family and the 85 (18") one of the biggest.

BAHCO_69-85.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking through some travel photos with my wife, trying to remember where she'd picked up some gee gaw on our trip to Italy a couple of years ago.
I came across this one and figured I'd share a picture of probably the best bistecca I ever had. I'm pretty sure I had my AGR Pinched Peanut in my pocket when I ate this! It was our go to Trattoria in Florence, Palle d'Oro.
Man I'm hungry for a steak!
YAFYfD0.jpg

I went “not-painting-windows” today. It was a misty morning on the river:

I didn’t catch any fish, but saw a bunch of herons, a kingfisher, an egret, and assorted waterfowl. The kingfisher and this heron seemed to have no trouble procuring a meal:

jackknife sir I absolutely love the stories that you have written and posted are you still writing?

Or have you retired from it?

Do you ever take suggestions for stories? Because I have a suggestion sir

Spent a few days in Saratoga Springs, visiting a few relatives we hadn't seen since the whole covid thing started.
I noticed this in a gift shop and had to snap a picture. Figured it'd bring a chuckle. If you are wearing this you wouldn't need a beer scout.🍺😉

FXig9nk.jpg

Back