"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Spent a few days in Saratoga Springs, visiting a few relatives we hadn't seen since the whole covid thing started.
I noticed this in a gift shop and had to snap a picture. Figured it'd bring a chuckle. If you are wearing this you wouldn't need a beer scout.🍺😉

FXig9nk.jpg
My dad would wear that. 😂 He would try to use the opener without takin the cap off too.

Breast cancer is very serious and I'm glad your fiance has apparently has beat it. I myself have had jaw cancer and perhaps have a different perspective on what it's like to have cancer than those who haven't. Best to your fiance and all the individuals who have had breast cancer and that goes for men as well. But David, couldn't you just have shown us the hat with the pink ribbon?

One of our friends is reaching out asking for some good thoughts, well wishes, and prayers...

It's good to know that the "world's largest pocket knife" is a Barlow. And it's a Case.

View attachment 1661726
Reminds me of what the French lady said to me when I bought a knife from her shop and asked for a pouch.

“Its a pocket knife put it in your pocket”

so where’s the Levi’s big enough to pocket this? 😂

I went looking for Okapi catalog PDFs online, and discovered that the company was bought in 2019 by another South African tool manufacturer:

“Today, Okapi is proudly owned by Lasher Tools. We make sure that these iconic pocket and cane knives stay within local manufacturing. Our intention is to hold the Okapi name in good stead and keep its legacy going!”
https://lasher.co.za/lasher-is-keeping-local-alive-with-okapi-vicker-tools/

Here is the current catalog (loads slowly):
https://lasher.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Okapi-Full-Catalogue-2021-v6.pdf

The catalog is much reduced, but at least the 907E is still being made. I had a moment of panic when I saw this reference to stainless steel:

I think it must be an error. I grabbed the last one I bought, clearly of recent manufacture, and less than 5 minutes of exposure to brown mustard resulted in this:

Yikes!

Looks like their knife lineup has been pared way back. At least they kept the classic rudeboys’ ratchet and the Biltong, my favorite even if it is named after a piece of beef jerky. Is there a US importer?

A quick search used to turn up some very informative videos on how to tune the backspring so the knife flicked open more easily, and how to wield the knife like a rudeboy, but they did not come up in my most recent attempt.

Last edited:
Back