"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

You can still file and suspend. The new provision applies to those under 62, when the SSA can't determine your benefit amount.
Really? That's not what I've read/been told. (Not surprising, IRS being unfailingly clear, as mud.) Good to know if true tho... I will look into it.

Really? That's not what I've read/been told. (Not surprising, IRS being unfailingly clear, as mud.) Good to know if true tho... I will look into it.

Sorry, you are right you won't be able to file and suspend since you're not already collecting SS :thumbsdown: I missed that you are a youngster of 59.

Last edited:
I did do some reading, and there are a few other approaches that while not as beneficial as the F&S can (as of now anyway) be used to advantage.

Yup, just a veritable pup alright.;):D

I did do some reading, and there are a few other approaches that while not as beneficial as the F&S can (as of now anyway) be used to advantage.

Yup, just a veritable pup alright.;):D

You can still suspend benefits when you reach full retirement age, but if your spouse is drawing from your benefit, the spouse's benefit suspends as well.

Hi all, sorry to interject on a conversation. I was a member a while back, and loved reading jackknife's tales. I was planning on reading them to my son. Unfortunately many of the early ones have disappeared! I remember seeing someone say they had saved the stories to a word document back when they were available, I was wondering if I could get ahold of it. Jackknife's tales went a long way to shaping my view of the world of traditionals, heck, the world in general, and I wanted to pass that on to my son. Cheers in advance!

Hi all, sorry to interject on a conversation. I was a member a while back, and loved reading jackknife's tales. I was planning on reading them to my son. Unfortunately many of the early ones have disappeared! I remember seeing someone say they had saved the stories to a word document back when they were available, I was wondering if I could get ahold of it. Jackknife's tales went a long way to shaping my view of the world of traditionals, heck, the world in general, and I wanted to pass that on to my son. Cheers in advance!
The stories are still there. It's the links that are broken. If you copy the title of the story, which is the same as the link name, and use the software's search function you'll find them pretty easily.

There is a post in the sticky section with links to Carl's stories.
Oops, I made the assumption that he knew about the sticky. That's the place to start. Then follow what I posted above.

75 years ago, day to day, a Canadian Army failed to land at Dieppe. They came back on sept 1944 1st. Victoriously. Thank you again Boys!
Dieppe1.jpg

Dieppe2.jpg

Question about car troubles:

Using a multimeter, my car's battery is reading 12.54 volts and power to the starter fluctuates between 7 volts and 9.5 volts when the car is off. With my wife's car hooked up via jumper cables, my battery and power to the starter reads 13.6 volts, but the car still won't start. It will turn the engine over twice before intermittently turning over once ever 1-2 seconds.

In the past year, I've replaced the battery, the battery terminal cable ends, and the starter. When this issue first crept up a year ago, I towed it to a shop, and a mechanic charged me $100 to "fix a loose ground". None of my grounding points have (obviously) faulty contacts.

Any ideas? Is it time to start ripping out the main power and ground cables and replacing them? I can't get my car started to test my alternator, but a bad alternator wouldn't prevent the car from being able to be jump started, right?

Yesterday, the car started normally in the morning and got me to work. It started normally when I left work, but after driving for 20 minutes and shutting the car off for 10 minutes, the starter solenoid wouldn't even click. It was like I had no battery in the car at all. When jumper cables are hooked up, all of my lights/stereo/power windows work normally, but the car won't start.

Thanks for any ideas, folks.

None of my grounding points have (obviously) faulty contacts.

I beg to differ.
Reading less than 12v at the starter proves that there is a bad ground on the engine OR a bad +12v lead.
Start here... Jump the car, and read the battery voltage while it is at a fast idle (2,000 rpm).
If you read less than 13.5 volts... it's a bad alternator or engine ground.
Then check the voltage at the starter. If it reads less than 13.5 it's the cables/engine ground

If it reads better than 13.5 (at the starter) it's faulty cables OR the starter.
New parts do NOT equal good parts so follow those steps, and you'll have it sorted in no time.

Bad cables can also read good voltage but fail under load, and not deliver enough amps to crank the car so be prepared to repeat all the above while trying to start the car.

Thanks, Zombie411. I'll be spending tomorrow trying to get the car jump started, and once successful, I'll run through your list. I'm decent with a wrench when it comes to the mechanical bits, but I am woefully ignorant (and frankly terrified) of electrical systems.

No problem Shaun.
Feel free to email or PM me. I'm happy to help. kenmc @ americanedgetech dot com

Look at 12v like a water hose... If the spigot (battery) is on/good then there is a kink in your hose somewhere... ;)

For those of you who live in the States who are 62 and over, it has come to my attention (that means my wife told me) that the National Park Service is about to dramatically increase the cost of senior lifetime passes. Currently $10. New price starting on Aug 28 is $80.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/17/this-national-park-pass-just-got-a-700-percent-price-hike.html

If you don't already have a pass, you might think about getting one now. I'm going to.
Great tip,Frank! My wife has a senior pass, but I, being a little younger don't. I'm old enough now and will get mine thanks to your early warning.

Back