"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I used to visit Ontario often, when growing up and living in Buffalo. Among other things, very good cheese curds were, and still are available there. Dairy, including curds which are the basis for many cheese varieties, is big business in Canada!! In fact, Canadian cheese is imported into the US in many places.

mmmmm cheese! it pairs nicely with some red wine and cured meat

That sounds good Jack but even though I'm 64 I'm still a kid at heart and my favorite way to eat cheese is in a grilled cheese sandwich.

grilled-cheese-sandwich-646.jpg

Where do Canadians get the cheese curds for poutine? Wisconsin is the only source I know.
Henry, lots of dairy in Canada: "In 2016, there were 959,600 dairy cows on 11,683 farms across the country. Quebec and Ontario are the major dairy producing provinces with 49% and 33% of the farms, respectively." (Wikipedia). Wisconsin, (the Dairy State) makes the best cheese for poutine however.;):D

My oldest son spent 6 years in Watertown, NY which is just across the river from Canada. Poutine is served just about everywhere and is one of my favorite food groups! Alas, attempting to be a healthy eater, I have to make it a special occasion to have it.

Henry, lots of dairy in Canada: "In 2016, there were 959,600 dairy cows on 11,683 farms across the country. Quebec and Ontario are the major dairy producing provinces with 49% and 33% of the farms, respectively." (Wikipedia). Wisconsin, (the Dairy State) makes the best cheese for poutine however.;):D

That is no doubt true. But dairy does not necessarily imply cheese curds. Ohio has a large dairy industry, and produces some of the best Swiss cheese I have tasted. But I never heard of cheese curds from Ohio; more to the point, my pops, who grew up there, never mentioned Ohio cheese curds as long as he lived. California, is another state with a good-sized dairy industry. Yet in four years there, I never heard mention of California cheese curds.

In Wisconsin, and by implication here in Minnesota, all you ever hear about is cheese curds, especially in August, with state fair approaching.

Beautiful scenery Jack, including that plate of chips (fries) :)

Thank you my friend :)

Jack, thought for a moment you were on to poutine, the national food of Canada,..
View attachment 753228
This is tasty stuff, not to be missed.:thumbsup:

Looks interesting, not heard of it before :)

I just got in after a long day, and thought I'd have a quick snack with some leftover picnic food - some baby new potatoes I roasted in smoked paprika, cayenne, and cumin seeds yesterday. Melted some grated cheese over them in the oven, and sprinkled with black pepper and Tony's. Turned out to be a good accompaniment to this thread! :D :thumbsup:

Henry, lots of dairy in Canada: Wisconsin, (the Dairy State) makes the best cheese for poutine however.;):D
Scare Bleu, Bugdoc!
You would have to make that argument in French, in Quebec, where Poutine was invented!!:D

Nice, r8shell!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

I'd try viewing it (the eclipse) through my flip phone's camera, if I had any idea how to access the camera that the flip phone allegedly has! :confused::rolleyes: Definitely some dimming of the sunlight on the buildings I can see out my window.

- GT

Nice, r8shell!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

I'd try viewing it (the eclipse) through my flip phone's camera, if I had any idea how to access the camera that the flip phone allegedly has! :confused::rolleyes: Definitely some dimming of the sunlight on the buildings I can see out my window.

- GT
You don't need a phone. It's just a 3x5" index card with a hole poked in it. Possibly the best use of my 2016 Forum knife yet. :thumbsup:

Back