"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

In Wisconsin, and by implication here in Minnesota, all you ever hear about is cheese curds, especially in August, with state fair approaching
A lot of truth there Henry, but we have a fair bit of artisanal cheese too. (Probably wouldn't put it in poutine though:eek::D)

Scare Bleu, Bugdoc!
You would have to make that argument in French, in Quebec, where Poutine was invented!!:D
Charlie, I am at heart an equal opportunity eater of all things cheese. I have no doubt there is plenty good cheese on your sure of the border!

I thought I'd share this given the recent log off issues many of us are having. Use "https://bladeforums.com". I've been able to stay logged on for several days. Oddly, the upper left hand BF logo as well as the Home icon takes me back to unsecured pages as a visitor. Still not fixed, but at least a workaround.

You don't need a phone. It's just a 3x5" index card with a hole poked in it. Possibly the best use of my 2016 Forum knife yet. :thumbsup:

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Interesting thread, but let me prefer these, they have both feet deep in the ground... ;) :D :D

Fromage.jpg

Roquefort.jpg

Beaufort-1.jpg

GEC13-Soumaintrain.jpg

Great pics JP :) :thumbsup:

Interesting shadow patterns and lighting Rachel. I noticed that here as well.
It is even more interesting to see in real life. I recall watching a solar eclipse with my then young daughter in '92 or 3. The shimmering patterns were mesmerizing.:thumbsup:

Well I neglected to buy some eclipse glasses so we figured we'd try to get a cell phone pic. Some funky stuff going on but it appears there is a reflected or refracted image in the upper left. That little crescent appears to be the sun. We had 68% at 2:38. Kind of underwhelming but we stopped for an Arby's sandwich afterwards. My junk food fix for the month.
OnAcC7j.jpg

Interesting shadow patterns and lighting Rachel. I noticed that here as well.

It is even more interesting to see in real life. I recall watching a solar eclipse with my then young daughter in '92 or 3. The shimmering patterns were mesmerizing.:thumbsup:
Even at only 65%, it was pretty cool. Hard to capture the effect in a photo.

Hate you guys...
I just got home, and now I have to go to the store to buy cheese.

Maybe a bottle of wine too. And some crackers. And spring onions. Ice cream too. Butterscotch syrup...
Damn! This is gonna take awhile.
Thanks!

Nice photos, Jeff. Seeing the total eclipse in person is quite an experience. It's something I definitely won't forget. The change in temp, lighting, and hearing the insects come out during the middle of the day is strange. Aside from the sight of the eclipsed sun itself, seeing the sunset colors all around the horizon 360 degrees is pretty neat also.

Nice photos, Jeff. Seeing the total eclipse in person is quite an experience. It's something I definitely won't forget. The change in temp, lighting, and hearing the insects come out during the middle of the day is strange. Aside from the sight of the eclipsed sun itself, seeing the sunset colors all around the horizon 360 degrees is pretty neat also.

Unfortunately I had cloud cover at my house, so it just got dark. The sun was out of the clouds about 3:00 (totality started at 2:38), I guess I wasn't meant to see it.

Last edited:
That's a bummer, Jerry. There were some scattered clouds here, but nothing too bad at the time. Then it rained about an hour or so after the eclipse ended. Thankfully it held off until the show was over.

That's a bummer, Jerry. There were some scattered clouds here, but nothing too bad at the time. Then it rained about an hour or so after the eclipse ended. Thankfully it held off until the show was over.

It was one of those things where you were either in the right place or not. By the time it was apparent the cloud cover wasn't going away it was too late to jump in the car and move to a better location, the prime spots locally were packed.

One of the best spots was Fluor Field in Greenville, they stopped the baseball game in the 5th inning during the eclipse. They had moved the game from a night game to take advantage of the eclipse. It was pretty cool seeing it on TV.

Eclipse: We were slated for 86% coverage or so. Our forecast had called for clouds and possible thunderstorms, plus I was going to buried at work, so I didn't prepare for any eclipse sightings.

When the skies suddenly cleared, I did a fast search for possible methodology; eschewing the cereal box option(!), I ran home at lunchtime for some binoculars and quickly jury-rigged this back at work:

IMG_7594.jpg~original

Not only did I get to see the eclipse, but most of the staff made it down at one time or another to take a look, with the General Manager (my direct boss) staying through the peak coverage and thus granting me reprieve (in addition to admiring my Fiddleback Forge Sylvrfalcen-- see below). Between my Visual Aid and a tech's welder's mask, we got 'er done. A unexpectedly good interlude in a more stressful stretch at home and work. :)

I took this picture of my Sylvrfalcen in ongoing gratitude for the gang at @Fiddleback forge and their handiwork:

IMG_7597.jpg~original

~ P.

Back