"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I got a couple of nice photos of the solar eclipse this afternoon.

FULL CORONA
CoronaSm_zpsfqgo5soi.jpg~original

CORONA + 1 MINUTE
Corona60Sm_zpsuygbs3b8.jpg~original

Very cool pictures!!!

Eclipse: We were slated for 86% coverage or so. Our forecast had called for clouds and possible thunderstorms, plus I was going to buried at work, so I didn't prepare for any eclipse sightings.

When the skies suddenly cleared, I did a fast search for possible methodology; eschewing the cereal box option(!), I ran home at lunchtime for some binoculars and quickly jury-rigged this back at work:

IMG_7594.jpg~original

Not only did I get to see the eclipse, but most of the staff made it down at one time or another to take a look, with the General Manager (my direct boss) staying through the peak coverage and thus granting me reprieve (in addition to admiring my Fiddleback Forge Sylvrfalcen-- see below). Between my Visual Aid and a tech's welder's mask, we got 'er done. A unexpectedly good interlude in a more stressful stretch at home and work. :)

I took this picture of my Sylvrfalcen in ongoing gratitude for the gang at @Fiddleback forge and their handiwork:

IMG_7597.jpg~original

~ P.

Interesting contraption and neat image on the blade. I see a new GEC concept model, "The Eclipse" ... :)

Trees act like pinhole cameras, too.View attachment 753429
Even at only 65%, it was pretty cool. Hard to capture the effect in a photo.
I don't know exactly what you were trying to capture (or how exactly the tree shadows were supposed to display the moon covering the sun), but I thought your image was incredible, and inspiring! :cool::thumbsup: Upon seeing that post, I immediately ran outside and started looking at the shadows of various trees, but I think the foliage was too thick to produce the effect!

I got a couple of nice photos of the solar eclipse this afternoon.

FULL CORONA
CoronaSm_zpsfqgo5soi.jpg~original

CORONA + 1 MINUTE
Corona60Sm_zpsuygbs3b8.jpg~original
Very impressive photos, Jeff! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

This is an absolutely unforgettable photo!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:

- GT

Great stuff Pert! Danny, all the solar lights in our subdivision came on within about 30 seconds of each other, pretty neat. I thought the most noteworthy thing was the quality of the light as it dimmed: completely unlike regular dusk, because the shadows did not lengthen. It was a bit eerie.

Danny, all the solar lights in our subdivision came on within about 30 seconds of each other, pretty neat. I thought the most noteworthy thing was the quality of the light as it dimmed: completely unlike regular dusk, because the shadows did not lengthen. It was a bit eerie.

That's probably the best description of the shadows that I've seen so far. I think the other strange thing is the speed at which the light dimmed. It is so much faster than a normal sunset. The streetlights kicked on in the city here also, but thankfully they didn't warm up to full brightness because we only had about 40s of totality.

I don't know exactly what you were trying to capture (or how exactly the tree shadows were supposed to display the moon covering the sun), but I thought your image was incredible, and inspiring! :cool::thumbsup: Upon seeing that post, I immediately ran outside and started looking at the shadows of various trees, but I think the foliage was too thick to produce the effect!
The spots of light on the ground look like crescents, rather than round dapples. I think you have to have the right thickness of foliage for the light to pass through, and possibly at the right height for the projected eclipse to be in focus on the ground.

The spots of light on the ground look like crescents, rather than round dapples. I think you have to have the right thickness of foliage for the light to pass through, and possibly at the right height for the projected eclipse to be in focus on the ground.
Thanks for the explanation, Rachel. :thumbsup::cool:

I have a perforated sun blocker on my hard hat, and this is the view that I got of the eclipse as seen on my field notes book.
Incredible, Shawn! Thanks for the photo! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Although it got dark yesterday we didn't get the full covering of the sun where I live but to me it was quite eerie.

H0vkohy.jpg

DT8ARUN.jpg

More Fun With Shadows:

The first photo is the shadow of a palm tree. The second, taken during the partial eclipse, shows how the light bends the shadow of the fronds.
20170821_140330.jpg 20170821_132937.jpg

It's interesting how many people say that things feel eerie during even a partial eclipse, and they don't know why, since it isn't really much darker than a cloudy day. Maybe these visual distortions affect us subliminally.

I have to say one of the most enjoyable (and notable) takeaways from the eclipse for me, aside from my 10 year old son's unbridled enthusiasm, was the very noticeable chill that was present in the air in the brief absence of the sun's rays. I am in Salem, OR so we experienced 100% obscuration at around 10:18 am Pacific Time. Not a cloud in the sky and as we have been dealing with some rather warm temps lately, that coolness was very welcome, albeit brief... Visually though, this occurrence was nothing short of stunning and will always serve as a very memorable moment for my family. It just so happened to also occur on my 13th wedding anniversary, something my wife and I will fondly remember forever.

Barrett btb01 btb01 told me he was hoping for some rain during his visit to England, but I hope he is not out in the rain we are getting in Yorkshire at the moment, it's really raining hard! :eek: Not an eclipse, but it's certainly gone dark! :D

No rain for us this morning, Jack! We got a nice, welcoming rain the evening we got into Bath, and a short little shower yesterday afternoon, but I'm certainly hoping for more! :D

I've posted a few photos from our trip so far in a couple other threads (mostly photos with the Ebony #25 I'm carrying while we're here), but I thought I might share some photos without knife content here in the Lounge.

We had an interesting trip over, with a 3-hour delay that would have made catching our connecting flight impossible, resulting in an entirely new itinerary flying through Atlanta instead of NYC, but surprisingly we made it to London only a half hour later than originally planned on Saturday morning.

We met up with my brother, sister-in-law and niece at Paddington Station and spent Monday afternoon walking around London, seeing some of the sights.

A0meLz3.jpg

01ntefQ.jpg

Here's Eleanor playing in Green Park with her cousin, Sybil. (The girls had limited patience for sightseeing, and found the grass, leaves and sticks much more interesting.)

NWvJWhj.jpg

Sunday we went to the Natural History Museum…

lFu4JLJ.jpg

…then walked over to Hyde Park. We couldn't pass up an opportunity for a red telephone box photo.

5yvAQfD.jpg

Sunday evening we took the train from London to Bath. Ellie was excited that we made it.

4obuZxT.jpg

Monday was mostly uneventful. I did get my first experience driving in England (after a slightly delayed start, that is). :confused:

myMnUEA.jpg

Driving on the wrong (;)) side of the road took a little getting used to, but I'm managing alright.

Here's a photo I took of the girls in the kitchen while my brother and I were outside grilling burgers and sausages for dinner.

K4LAvt0.jpg

Yesterday morning we went to a farm/market/cafe for breakfast. Ellie and Sybil got to meet some pigs (before the rest of us enjoyed some of their relatives in the form of bacon sandwiches). :D

asAwUbc.jpg

After breakfast, we walked around the Bath Spa University campus, where my brother works. Ellie was wearing her Stade Français rugby shirt, gifted to her by @Jolipapa.

tuz5mGs.jpg

IjEOmzf.jpg

Gf3ayrI.jpg

3PkHrzy.jpg

De9IYQx.jpg

ATHYIFb.jpg

Then we spent yesterday afternoon in downtown Bath.

3UbrJQY.jpg

sBoe09P.jpg

The wives wanted to do some shopping, so my brother and I snuck off to a pub. (I'm realizing now that I failed to take a photo of the outside of the pub, but at least I photographed the important stuff.) :D

WLzQCSR.jpg

Here's one last photo from our walk back to the house yesterday evening.

xPXQTqa.jpg

We're enjoying our stay so far, and can't wait to see more! It's certainly a beautiful place!

I'm glad you didn't get that extended downpour Barrett, it came down so hard that there has been some localised flooding! :eek: Starting to blow over now I hope :) Thanks for those fantastic pics, I think the phone box one is my favourite! :D Have a great time today my friend :) :thumbsup:

Back