"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Cool photos. I like when others post pictures of their trips, it helps me see the world without having to leave the house. My wife and I hope to someday make a trip to England, Ireland, and Scotland.

I'm glad you didn't get that extended downpour Barrett, it came down so hard that there has been some localised flooding! :eek: ...
I hope it won't be as bad as the 2012 flooding in Skipton (and rest of England as well)! :(:(
IMGP2350.jpg

IMG_3641.jpg

@Barrett, little Ellie looks lovely in her SF shirt! Just one thing you may want to know, last april the SF met and eliminated Bath during the semi-final ofthe Challenge Cup (and eventually won it over Edinburgh). A thrilling match that was!

Last edited:
I hope it won't be as bad as the 2012 flooding in Skipton (and rest of England as well)! :(:(
IMGP2350.jpg

IMG_3641.jpg

It can certainly be pretty wet here JP, hope you've not been completely put off Yorkshire! According to today's newspaper, people are currently going to Ireland to get some sunshine, so it must be bad! :D Actually I don't think it's been too bad a year here. The flooding this morning was fairly temporary, it sure did come down, but this afternoon it is sunny and humid, crazy! :rolleyes:

It can certainly be pretty wet here JP, hope you've not been completely put off Yorkshire! According to today's newspaper, people are currently going to Ireland to get some sunshine, so it must be bad! :D Actually I don't think it's been too bad a year here. The flooding this morning was fairly temporary, it sure did come down, but this afternoon it is sunny and humid, crazy! :rolleyes:
I hope I can ride and see Yorkshire again (and Scotland as well) I really enjoyed the place (compared to Southern England - except Cornwall) and have a few friends to meet up there. :)
As for Ireland, I've been in 2003, down around Cork and also the Ring of Kerry, when there was a terrific heat wave in France. Weather was perfect for the 12 odd days we stayed. Friends who went to visit Dublin told us they had showers after showers the day after we left! :)
Anyway, all is relative, we have the same comments about Normandy (ask why the cows have such a green grass!) or Britain (they say it only rains on a......s:D)

I hope I can ride and see Yorkshire again (and Scotland as well) I really enjoyed the place (compared to Southern England - except Cornwall) and have a few friends to meet up there. :)
As for Ireland, I've been in 2003, down around Cork and also the Ring of Kerry, when there was a terrific heat wave in France. Weather was perfect for the 12 odd days we stayed. Friends who went to visit Dublin told us they had showers after showers the day after we left! :)
Anyway, all is relative, we have the same comments about Normandy (ask why the cows have such a green grass!) or Britain (they say it only rains on a......s:D)

Yes indeed! As you know I once lived in Boulogne! :D Actually the flooding was more serious than I thought, three motorists were trapped in their cars in Leeds, but they are OK. I certainly saw a fair bit of rain in Belfast! :D Hope you can come sooner rather than later my friend :) :thumbsup:

I've been away for a few days. I went up across the border and visited Quebec City with my wife and son. It was quite a nice quick trip. I thoroughly enjoyed the history and architecture. There were all sorts of shops and also art galleries, and although I have no eye for that sort of stuff, it was wonderful to look at. I didn't get to do everything that I wanted, but such is life.

IMG_20170821_181755901 resize.jpg IMG_20170821_182645804 resize.jpg IMG_20170821_182937614 resize.jpg IMG_20170821_183554136_HDR resize.jpg IMG_20170822_100537146 resize.jpg IMG_20170822_101412218_HDR resize.jpg IMG_20170822_103419014_HDR resize.jpg IMG_20170822_103532008 resize.jpg

A few more to follow...

I've been away for a few days. I went up across the border and visited Quebec City with my wife and son. It was quite a nice quick trip. I thoroughly enjoyed the history and architecture. There were all sorts of shops and also art galleries, and although I have no eye for that sort of stuff, it was wonderful to look at. I didn't get to do everything that I wanted, but such is life.

View attachment 754829 View attachment 754830 View attachment 754831 View attachment 754832 View attachment 754833 View attachment 754834 View attachment 754835 View attachment 754836

A few more to follow...

Great pictures Glennbad!!!
I was there thirty years ago and was amazed at what a beautiful city it was, kind of a hidden gem I think.

Great pics of a beautiful trip, Glenn!

Charlie, it looks like you've got some explaining to do!
Could there be a Campagna family connection??? :)
That's what I was thinking. I'm waiting for his input...
Thanks for posting that plaque, Glenn!
Believe it or not, people have sent snapshots of that plaque to me a couple of times. While it is an exciting coincidence, I have never been able to make a connection.
Apparently the house builder (which I have also been!) had French ancestry, not Sicilian like mine. And our name was changed to Campagna ca. 1900 by the efficient people at Ellis Island! Before that, Campagna was a sort of nickname meaning "of the countryside" or "the farmer(s)".
Our surname was Gelsomino, and still is in Sicily!
Wonderful pictures, Glenn! I haven't been in Quebec for a few decades - maybe it is time!

Great pics Glenn, thanks, and thanks for an interesting story Charlie :thumbsup:

Hey, all y'all down in south Texas, baton down the hatches and get on to higher ground. That little storm lookin like it's gonna sit there a few days and give you a good soakin. Talking about 3-5ft of rain! We got 36" over 4 days last year and it wasn't nothin nice.

I'm a praying for y'all.

Thanks for posting that plaque, Glenn!
Believe it or not, people have sent snapshots of that plaque to me a couple of times. While it is an exciting coincidence, I have never been able to make a connection.
Apparently the house builder (which I have also been!) had French ancestry, not Sicilian like mine. And our name was changed to Campagna ca. 1900 by the efficient people at Ellis Island! Before that, Campagna was a sort of nickname meaning "of the countryside" or "the farmer(s)".
Our surname was Gelsomino, and still is in Sicily!
Wonderful pictures, Glenn! I haven't been in Quebec for a few decades - maybe it is time!

Thanks for the explanation, I thought it was very neat to see that. Just happened to be walking by and was like "hey wait a minute!" Regardless of the non-connection, it doesn't take away from your mystique. We still think of you as "knife royalty"!

And our name was changed to Campagna ca. 1900 by the efficient people at Ellis Island!
So since it was forced on you - does your family pronounce it in the French manner (kahm-pahn-yah) or something more like kam-pag-na?

Back