"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

My wife also does the same thing with the kitchen knives. I bought her a nice storage block. That got tossed and they all get thrown into one drawer. :(
I think she just figures I can resharpen them whenever she wants (which I do), so no worries. o_O

I really think our wives are related old buddy.

Hello folks!

How are you all?!

I have been struggling to break my forum hiatus, not least because I have no idea how to drive this thing now!? *baffled*

I've been keeping busy, leaving jobs, and doing lots of conservation work & trying to make go of another business.
Its kept me busy and fitter, which was the main idea. Not sure if it'll all pan out, but hey ho, I'm giving it a whirl.

On the traditional front I have been trying to get back to making my Puukko's and returned to some LONG overdue projects that have been sat around for 5+ years!!! *shame*

Gifts for friends...

View attachment 767661
View attachment 767663

And random finds to put back into hard labor in the woods:

View attachment 767672
View attachment 767662

I hope it goes without saying that there is more often than not a traditonal in my pocket, on my hip or in my hand too!

Hope to be around a bit more.

So catch you all soon.

scruff (aka. Thom)
Nice puukkos you make for your friends, friend! :D

I occasionally sharpen knives for some of my wife's co-workers. So far, none have been what you would call high-quality. Most had dented, bent and chipped edges. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with a good bench stone progression. Kinda nice to work on the really beat up ones like that, because the end result is such an improvement.

My wife also does the same thing with the kitchen knives. I bought her a nice storage block. That got tossed and they all get thrown into one drawer. :(
I think she just figures I can resharpen them whenever she wants (which I do), so no worries. o_O

Donna used to do the same thing until I got her a magnetic knife bar to mount on the wall. She still has me put them to the SharpMaker about once a week though. I never can get her to use the steel I got her.

Donna used to do the same thing until I got her a magnetic knife bar to mount on the wall. She still has me put them to the SharpMaker about once a week though. I never can get her to use the steel I got her.
What kind/brand of knives?

What kind/brand of knives?

I honestly couldn't tell you. She has three 7" santokus that she uses for different tasks, and all three of them came from specialty shops in L.A. Her favorite one though has well worn wooden handles and is very comfortable for her. It has good steel, takes an edge easily, and gets scary sharp when I really tune it up. It's her primary and gets a lot of time on the cutting board each day, so with all she puts it through I'd say a few licks on the SharpMaker a week isn't bad.

Just wondering - some knives respond to a honing steel better than others. I have some "value" knives with softer blades that respond well to a kitchen steel, but they need touching up on it more often. Always a trade-off.

I have some knives coming I am doing a trade for and the tracking info it say's they're out for delivery. So now I am sitting here like a kid on Christmas eve waiting on Santa Claus only I'm waiting on the mail truck.

I know this subject comes up from time to time but isn't it amazing how grown men and women and in my case a senior can get so caught up in this or for that matter any hobby to a point reason goes completely out the window and pure emotion takes over. As I am waiting I am siting here, a 64 year old man playing with a #47 Viper like a 4 year old kid would be playing with a toy firetruck. I am opening and closing it, slicing paper, running the blade across a strop, wipe it down with mineral oil and repeat. I am telling myself that I am trying to get the knife as sharp as possible but I am really just playing with it. When I get my grubby old hands on some extra money I start looking on the exchange, auction site, knife dealer sites and so on to see what's available to spend it on.

Can any of you identify with this or have I went completely bonkers.
5153.gif

I have some knives coming I am doing a trade for and the tracking info it say's they're out for delivery. So now I am sitting here like a kid on Christmas eve waiting on Santa Claus only I'm waiting on the mail truck.

I know this subject comes up from time to time but isn't it amazing how grown men and women and in my case a senior can get so caught up in this or for that matter any hobby to a point reason goes completely out the window and pure emotion takes over. As I am waiting I am siting here, a 64 year old man playing with a #47 Viper like a 4 year old kid would be playing with a toy firetruck. I am opening and closing it, slicing paper, running the blade across a strop, wipe it down with mineral oil and repeat. I am telling myself that I am trying to get the knife as sharp as possible but I am really just playing with it. When I get my grubby old hands on some extra money I start looking on the exchange, auction site, knife dealer sites and so on to see what's available to spend it on.

5153.gif

just like sitting on the porch sharpening your blades in the other picture! really hope you can make it to the rendezvous next year pal

r redden r redden
It's a virus Randy and highly contagious. All you have to do is handle a traditional knife and you're hooked for life. I have two residences 1400 miles apart and can't leave one knife in Florida just in case I want it in NY.

I'm right there with you, Randy! I refresh my USPS Tracking like mad. My wife gives me so much flack for the pictures I take of my knives! I'm like a kid in a candy store. Heck, I don't even have a knife budget right now, and I'm still constantly window shopping!

I'm sure if I sharpened up my wife's kitchen knives more often, she'd give me less grief. I bought her a pair of decent Japanese kitchen knives a few years ago, and she never uses them because I told her that she couldn't put them in the dishwasher! :eek::rolleyes: I just hate the thought of putting a nice edge on her knives for them to get wrecked banging around in a dishwasher.

It took awhile but my wife finally came around. Please, don't put the kitchen knives in the dishwasher, don't leave them soaking in a sink full of water and please, please, wash, dry and put away the Rosewood handled paring and Santoku knives that I got from Vince when you're done with them. The Rosewood on those two came from Tony Bose and the blades are 440C that Vince procured. They are my go to when I'm on kitchen duty.

5153.gif
I've had my moments, Randy! I have managed to "cut" my knife purchases to a few times a year though. So I'm squirrely less often.

Back