"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

These mugs had a prominent place on my desk when I was working. Now that I can fish pretty much whenever I want, I find myself doing other things many days.
0EuEGpl.jpg

When I do get out, it's dry flies for me. I fish small streams close to my home in Central NY. I use primarily an 8', 3 wt rod I had made some years ago, with an appropriate Lamson reel and dry fly line/ leader etc. I find that in many spots I'm not really casting but flicking the leader and fly to the target spot. I'll have to investigate this Tenkara. It might be to late to teach an old dog new tricks though.

Always remember ... " A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work!"

It really wasn't much of a change. Pretty much the way I've always fished, just with less gear in the way. My casting is what you described, more flicking than anything. Any attempt at a traditional fly cast will be immediately rewarded by catching a tree limb.

JK J jackknife I believe you are right about the bamboo poles. :D I hadn't thought about fishing with one of those in years.

Jerry JB in SC JB in SC , XUL rods? Thinking about my UL rod I can't quite picture in my head just how thin they are without collapsing of their own weight.

TH Trout Hound Trout Hound , thanks for the tip on the Tenkata website.

Randy r redden r redden , thank you for catching me up on you and Bob.

Just wonderful, Randy!
I've got one grand daughter that's 24, one 15 month old grandson and one on the way in December. We lost one little angel in 2007 when she was 5.

So sorry for your loss Gary. We lost a daughter April when she was 8 worse thing we've ever gone through.

As a city slicker, we dont get much good fishing here. Sure there is sheepshead bay, and the fishing by the shore path, but due to the pollution not very wise to eat. Gotta drive quite a bit to get to some good fishing spots.

My grandfather sailed out of Sheepshead Bay with the Merchant Marine in WWII. If he had a few days in between trips, he would jump on a train and go visit my Granny in Philadelphia, where she was in nurses' training. He made some ridiculous number of Atlantic crossings without ever getting torpedoed by a U-Boat. Charmed existence.

Bugdoc Bugdoc actually UL rods sold in the US are far behind the technology used for the Japanese Domestic Market. The tips are usually solid for the last 6" and are extremely sensitive. They don't have that, collapse on it's own weight, tip heavy feel of typical US ultralight rods. Even lower end JDM ultralight rods are heads and shoulders above the US product. The demand for such specialized equipment is a tiny segment of the market here. In some cases, serious ultralight fisherman don't even realize it exists. It's a nice set up for trout, crappie, and bluegill.

Carl's lounge I love this place we have went from trains to retirement to health to fishing and never missed a beat.:D:cool::thumbsup:

Amen to that, Randy. Serious topics, levity, advice sought and given, and even tough conversations, respectfully had are all found here. That's why this lounge is, to me, an important and cherished part of this unique outpost on the internet that is the porch.

It occurred to me just now that "if you need me, I'll be in the porch" is a phrase that many of us could say literally to our families and figuratively to our friends here and both interpretations would be intended in earnest.

Thanks everyone for the part you each play in making this a special, meaningful place.

My grandfather sailed out of Sheepshead Bay with the Merchant Marine in WWII. If he had a few days in between trips, he would jump on a train and go visit my Granny in Philadelphia, where she was in nurses' training. He made some ridiculous number of Atlantic crossings without ever getting torpedoed by a U-Boat. Charmed existence.

hey thats pretty cool! thanks for sharing that! im sure the sheepshead bay of his day is much much much cleaner than it is now :D:D:D

So sorry for your loss Gary. We lost a daughter April when she was 8 worse thing we've ever gone through.
Sorry for your loss Randy. I lost a grand daughter, my oldest daughter lost her baby. It was a terrible time for our family.

Just wonderful, Randy!
I've got one grand daughter that's 24, one 15 month old grandson and one on the way in December. We lost one little angel in 2007 when she was 5.
Gary. I cannot imagine how that must hurt. My grandkids are so precious it shakes me to think about it. I’m so sorry, and to Randy as well.

:) The other day I made a dessert that's totally non PC-if the Health Police got wind of it I'd be looking at a long stretch on bread&water:D But worth it:cool:

St. Emilion au chocolat;) Talk about rich! But easy to do.

Take about 125g of unsalted butter when soft mix with about the same quantity of sugar until a smooth paste, add the yolk of an egg. Bring a cup of milk to the boil and let cool. Meanwhile, melt down 175-200g of 75% choc and mix with a little water, then introduce the hot milk&butter mix to the chocolate and make a smooth warm runny liquid. Put several small Italian Macaroons in a Souffle dish or loaf tin, sprinkle on your spirit of choice to moisten the macaroons. Calva, Cognac, Brandy or your fine Bourbon work nicely. Pour the choc sauce over the biscuits then put another layer of macaroons, more sauce until none left.

Put in the fridge for at least 12 hours. Serve with thick whipped cream. You can't eat much as it's dead rich and soft with a slight booze kick too.

How many calories? The wreck of a waistline?:eek: Don't ask:D:D

Last edited:
:) The other day I made a dessert that's totally non PC-if the Health Police got wind of it I'd be looking at a long stretch on bread&water:D But worth it:cool:

St. Emilion au chocolat;) Talk about rich! But easy to do.

Take about 125g of unsalted butter when soft mix with about the same quantity of sugar until a smooth paste, add the yolk of an egg. Bring a cup of milk to the boil and let cool. Meanwhile, melt down 175-200g and mix with a little water, then introduce the hot milk&butter mix to the chocolate and make a smooth warm runny liquid. Put several small Italian Macaroons in a Souffle dish or loaf tin, sprinkle on your spirit of choice to moisten the macaroons. Calva, Cognac, Brandy or your fine Bourbon work nicely. Pour the choc sauce over the biscuits then put another layer of macaroons, more sauce until none left.

Put in the fridge for at least 12 hours. Serve with thick whipped cream. You can't eat much as it's dead rich and soft with a slight booze kick too.

How many calories? The wreck of a waistline?:eek: Don't ask:D:D
I think I gained a pound just reading the recipe!

edited to add, I'm headed for the treadmill!

Last edited:
Wait till you try a spoonful, smooth.......:D:D.

The next one I make (after admission to the obesity ward) will have Bourbon as the flavouring. Fans of Almond/marzipan (I'm one I even use Italian shaving cream which smells of Almond) might try Amoretto liqueur to enhance the macaroon taste, they start out hard and crunchy but are nice and chewy with the chocolate once in the fridge.

Thanks, it's very simple but it must be done beforehand, needs 12 hours to chill, 24 even better.

So another archery elk season has come and gone and though I did not manage to bring in an elk, 2 of my buddies did. 2 elk out of 5 of us for a season is not too bad, there are years when none of us manage a harvest. Regardless, it was fun helping them field dress and pack out the animals, and the meals afterwards are always fantastic.

There isn't anything a whole lot better than traipsing around the woods, especially when the leaves are starting to turn, the air is turning crisp and beginning to smell of autumn, and the idea that pumpkin pie and apple cider are pretty much right around the corner. Autumn is my absolute favorite time of year, as it is a season that ushers in so many of my favorite things: Cooler weather, beautiful scenery, savory foods, dark beers, and oddly enough, people tend to become just a little bit nicer....

I managed to capture some nice pictures this last weekend during my hunt. My apologies for the low quality, I didn't realize there was a giant smudge on the lens until later. However, I think you will still get to appreciate the colors and scenery still.

RLMnB7i.jpg

ywKEYAL.jpg

It was nice to see some older growth trees back in where I was tramping about.

VtTG2Oy.jpg

ElHokAs.jpg

Some splashes of autumn color.

OomSOY9.jpg

XKgjfXy.jpg

Qodsgti.jpg

Some miscellaneous landscapes.

solgqUd.jpg

Tm0pyo8.jpg

DrrSUCi.jpg

Here is an old man... He has been here a loooong time... Pictures certainly do not do him justice.

8Tz0PYH.jpg

P7FV7Yc.jpg

Wc4PV7h.jpg

And of course, I can't talk about amazing meals and not show off a little... Here is some butterflied elk tenderloin that I had just finished grilling up (Please pardon the modern knife in the picture...)

Q0TyiMJ.jpg

That tenderloin pairs superbly with bacon, potatoes and peppers, onions and fresh chanterelle and lobster mushrooms. A veritable feast!

929ByFL.jpg

All in all, it was a fantastic weekend and a wonderful season. I will be going back out in December for late season, I will be looking for a deer then.

Pàdruig Pàdruig
Dylan, Great photos! Nothing like fall. My favorite season too, for all the reasons your mentioned. That meal has me salivating for sure!

Back